Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are you interested in a brand new big bore capable Ford Y-Block block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tedd, Nov 12, 2012.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I could hit the lottery I would be interested but will wait and see if a new crank is made after the block,I would love to see a new 312 crank that would drop in a 292 block with no extra machining.

2. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

I don't know, the costs to manufacture the pattern equipment are going to be extremely high. Then they're going to have to find a foundry that will do low volume runs, which will cost more overall; and then pay for machining costs before the customer can even take delivery.

I don't see it being viable. A hell of a lot of engine blocks are going to have to be sold before the break even point ever arrives, not to mention no company is going to spend tens of thousands of dollars investing in tooling on the "verbal" commitment of a few online message board users.

3. I"ve said it before on other Forums.

I would prefer to see a blowproof bell housing that uses the original starter mounting configuration.

As of now there is only one blowproof housing availiable and you must use the mini hi torque starter to make it work.

How bout saving my tootsies before we get into really hi horsepower.

Oldmics

4. rollingbones 1

rollingbones 1
    from UPSTATE NY

I wonder who that might be?????????????????

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. Tedd

Tedd

There are a multitude of pump gas Y's now making in excess of 500HP but the limitation now is cubic inches in getting to that next big jump in power and still running on pump gasoline. And all these are with dual plane intakes with conventional 750 sized carbs and still being very streetable. I'd like to see a 640-650HP Y in my own roadster as it's pretty well statemated in the 8.80's at 146-148mph without doing some kind of power adder. And yes, I'm still running a vacuum secondary carb.

As mentioned early in this thread, if you think you might be interested in a brand new big bore capable block casting for the Y that looks like a Y when it's complete, then give Verne Schumann a call and get your name on the list. Only when there are enough potential customers, will this project go to the expense of actually casting the blocks.

kidcampbell71 and Calkins like this.
  6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Not meaning any disrespect to you or Tim, but it would seem that you are not on the same level of enthusiasm for power and go-fast with a Y-block as Tedd, who is definitely the man for going fast with one. There's a certain satisfaction with making forgotten dinosaurs go faster than expected, and he does it with the Y-blocks- same reason some of us love playing with 427's, and why I'll gladly pull the 514SVO out of my Falcon for the 505/427- it's just more fun, and while the Lima engines can get big for cheap and be faster, they ain't got the soul of the 427. The Y might not have the shock-and-awe pure noise volume of a big FE, but sound pretty good in their own right, and the speeds Tedd puts out speak for themselves. If you're happy with a nice putter Y that sounds nice and runs good, you won't want to spend the money on this block, or the good heads, or...- as you wouldn't on a Genesis, Pond or Shelby FE block. Wanna make some serious power and have a lot of fun dropping people's jaws with a Y? Get in in line :p

7. iamben

iamben

Why not make some performance parts for the big Lincoln Y's? You get the cubes you miss out on with the Ford Y and you don't have to invest huge amounts of money into casting an engine block because they are still laying around out there.

8. I don't want to hijack this thread, But, I'm new to Y blocks and I'm putting one in my '30 Tudor and this thread looks like it has ALL the Y block know how in one place.

With a Cruise-o-matic 373 gears 750-16 tires, rodchester cg4 carb on a '55 intake what would be a good cam?
    And who is this Mummert? web site?

9. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Thats what i'm talking about!:D

10. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

Yes, you could wind up with a very expensive Y block. Out of my price range but some folks will pay it.

Look at what some these guys spend on a flathead for a hundred horsepower.

11. Tedd

Tedd

The Isky E4 or a Mummert 264 cam would both be suitable cams. Doing a search for 'John Mummert Y-Block' will get to his site. You can also check out the Y-Blocksforever website for more information on new casting blocks and heads.

12. Tedd, I am a engine builder and have some questions sir,

What are the current limitations of the stock Y block for max bore and stroke-

a: generally speaking with a block that has been sonic checked.

b: using steel connecting rods, I or H beam, not aluminum.

What is the current nominal deck height of the Y, and what will your deck height be as well?

What is the distance from crank C/L to cam C/L?

What specifuically are the inherited weaknesses of the stock block in a Performance/Race application, and what measures are you taking to correct these weaknesses in your design.

Please know that you can talk to me as if you were speaking to yourself.

Thank you, TR.

13. moefuzz

moefuzz

Y-Blocks are pure sex and might I remind everyone that those old factory Y-Blocks kicked chevrolet ass Royally
    all throughout the late 50's (including 1957)

-When it came to Racing, General Motors Could Not Compete.

Me?
    I would welcome a revival of a Y-Block and it's Derivatives/Potential.

I can only imagine that along with a the new design would come other folks with
    aluminum intakes, new or old valve covers, updated cams and such.

I would suspect that Anybody with the least interest in Y-Blocks should, could and would welcome the offshoot(s) of a new block with open arms.

All others need not apply.

jmho

cheers,
    moe

14. Tedd

Tedd

292 Blocks are capable of +0.110" over bores. The C2AE blocks tend to be the best candidates for this. 312's tend to be all over the map regarding max overbore sizes. With 2.00" journals, 3.75" stroke is the practical limitation but I'll use 1.889" journals when going to 4.00" strokes. I've used rod lengths up to 6.750" in blocks with a finished 9.750" deck height. Makes for a 1.000" compression height when using a 4.00" stroke crank.

9.770-9.775" stock. Most Y's I build are finished to a 9.750 or 9.755" deck height.

4.411"

If planning on 500 or more horsepower, then I use a main support girdle. For high compression or boosted applications, the blocks are tapped for ½" head bolts. This takes care of any potential head gasket problems that can occur when using the stock 7/16" sized bolts. All Y's end up with a groove machined in the center cam journal to insure an adequate flow of oil to the topend. Too much oil to the topend is rectified with restrictors at the rocker arm pedestals.

15. Thank you Tedd, I have some things in the works and will P.M. you for more info, TR

16. JEM

JEM

Hmmm...I'm a potential purchaser but not really in the timeframe that would be needed to make this viable.

But...one remark: I can see very very few of the people who'd want to buy something like this actually wanting to bolt it up to an original bellhousing and transmission.

So, it might be preferable to diddle the bellhousing flange to allow it to be drilled for a later pattern (6-bolt SBF or even mod-motor.)

I'll leave it at that or I might consider asking for a late GM LS1 pattern to bolt up to a GM 6L80E...

17. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Good friend has a 57 and man that baby sounds so sweet:DLast cruz-in a well known fellow of some really nice 57 fords ask me what I had under the hood of my 55.I told him a 302 his responce was "I see now why you have the hood down":mad:"My responce was you want to pull that 57 out and run em":DHe hung his head and walked away.

18. Tedd

Tedd

In talking with Verne Schumann, he's thinking a SBF bellhousing bolt pattern along with the Y pattern on the back of the new block. With that pattern added, there's a multitude of transmission options.

19. Trickster

Trickster

I have a 1958 312 t/bird special factory 2x4 (dont have induction)have been told thay were 270 hp?How hard is it to get this engine over or around the 300hp mark with edelbrock 3x2 set up trans is th7004R 3.45 GM LSD rear into our 50 ford tudor.an other 30-40 hp would be good.

20. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

FWIW they didn't make a 312 T-Bird special in '58. The factory 2x4 setup was '56 and '57. The 270 horse engine was the same as a 245 horse engine below the intake. There was also a 285 horse engine which had a bigger cam,but the odds of it being one of those is slim. If you want 300 horse, dont waste your time with that 3x2, they are pretty, but a single four barrel will out flow/ out perform it. The 2x4 setups run real well when set-up properly. Or just get some Mummert aluminum heads and intake and really wake that thing up.

21. Trickster

Trickster

Thanks for the info mate. you seem to know your yblocks what details could i give to find out what it is yr date spec hp etc. im putting it in 50 ford tudor lead sled to keep the 3x2 would be nice for a period 50's kustom. is there 3x2 guru on here might need one hay. cheers

22. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

Casting #'s will help to degree. However the problem lies in that there was alot of crossover of #'s between engine sizes. What I mean by that is all Y-Blocks could have the same casting #'s regardless of 272-292-312. For example ECZ-G heads are the highest compression heads and were used in'57. They often innacurately described as "T-Bird" heads or "312" heads. The fact is they came on all '57 Passenger cars regardless of displacement. Most 312 blocks carry the casting # ECZ-B or C. But I have seen plenty of smaller ones with the same casting #'s. Short of dissassembling the heads and pan to check bore and stroke you really won't know. The one thing you can do to help without major dissassmbley is to look at the rear crankshaft flange at the flywheel. On a 312 the rear crank flange will be round with a half moon cutout on one side and 180 cegrees accross from it will be a flat spot with a raised dot. If it has that, it is a 312 crank. For a lot more info, I sugggest you go to John Mummerts website,he has an excellent de-coding and technical section. There is also Y-blocksforever.com another good site, and lastly there is Bruce Young's publication,Y-block magazine. Hope this helps

23. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Thom, I'm there with you. My "A" Coupe has a '57 Ford Marine Y-Block. My soon to be custom '41 Fordor also will have a dolled up T-Bird mill with three Deuces. This is a great way to get a fresh mill for that Hot Rod.

Dave :eek:

24. Tedd

Tedd

Unless there are interests for 30-35 new large bore capable Ford Y-Block cylinder blocks, this project will fall to the wayside. If you think you might be interested in a brand new, large bore capable Ford Y cylinder block, give Verne Schumann a call at 563-381-2416 or fax him at 563-381-2409. These are just verbal committments right now with no up front money required. Expected selling price for completed blocks is $3995.

25. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

What he said

26. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Tedd, I would love to do a big Y, but it is out of my league price-wise. I seem to remember you tried to get a 4 inch bore block built, but I think the sleeves didn't hold. Did you ever come up with a way to "furnace braze" those in? Keep up the good work! Mike.

27. teddyp

teddyp

i have much love for the ford y-block

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Would love to have a big inch Y block torque monster for my 55 sunliner but too poor for that block.

29. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I agree with MoeFuzz, and am SERIOUSLY considering adding my name to the list... I need another Y block for a roadster I'm building.