Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loading a Non-running Car on a Trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HUSSEY, Feb 3, 2013.

1. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Anyone use a 2 ton come along using the block and tackle to pull a car up onto a car trailer, say a 50's Chevy?

I may be buying a non-running car and will need a means to get it up on a trailer. You can get a 2 ton come along for around $40 on Amazon, I just don't want to buy one and find out its not strong enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I found a couple of more expensive models. I just don't know how trutfull the rating are these days.

These look more robust and use a 5/16 instead of 3/16 cable.:

https://www.wyeth-scott.com/orders.asp

http://www.amazon.com/Maasdam-8000S...TF8&qid=1359921399&sr=1-7&keywords=come+along

2. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

I do it all the time. Everything up 3/4 ton trucks. I had an electric winch mounted to my trailer (after 10 years of come-a-longing stuff) but my wife decided to move the trailer one day and broke it off with the trucks bumper as she jack knifed it. Now I am back to come-a-longing again!

remember rolling load is way less than static weight of a vehicle. a 2 ton will easily pull a 5000 lb car onto a trailer.

3. Buy two of them,,it will be a lot easier! HRP

4. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

I used a 2-ton to load/unload a '68 C10 that's probably heavier than that car. It worked great, just slow and had to keep resetting. Be sure to also hook up a safety chain to catch it if something goes wrong.

5. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Yes it will work

6. mohead1

mohead1

Totally agree with jfg455.....ive loaded a many car with a simple, single line, cable come-a-long.....I do try to find one with the most robust build and substantial parts so there isnt an "uh oh" when the vehicle is half way on the trailer......

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Do the brakes work on the car ? If so, have someone sit in there ready to step on them in case something goes wrong. If not, just keep moving blocks in back of the tires as you go, just to be safe.

As was mentioned, you will have to keep stopping occasionally because the comealongs don't have enough distance built in them to move the car all the way in one pull. Just stop, block the tires, release the comealong, pull the cable to it's maximum, and shorten the chain.

I moved lots of cars when I was in my teens clear up the hill we lived on, all by myself. Once in a while I would get a surprise when the chain broke and I had to chase the car back down the hill. :eek: I was much faster then. :D A second safety chain that you keep shortening is a great idea.

Don

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

2 ton should pull it up on most trailers if it rolls freely and the tires are inflated. You could check on a local wrecker.

9. Jogyver

Jogyver

It can be done with a come along though it does take some time to do it. Make sure you have some wood block for the wheels since you will have to do it in stages. We recently loaded a 56 caddy with a harbor freight chain hoist which cost $50.

10. Used the come-a-long from Harbor Freight, yes they are cheaply made but got the car up the ladder ramps and onto the trailer. Still have it somewhere, not the fastest or coolest method but yes it will work. (double agree on the safety chain, last thing you want it to roll off and crush a unsuspecting onlooker or kid). Have someone with the chawk blocks for when you neet to re-adjust the chain.

11. jesse1980

jesse1980

I use a 30 foot chain come along, 1 and 3/4 ton, I pulled 6000 pound trucks onto my trailer. The come along cost me about 450 though.

12. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Thanks for all the responses, just what I needed to know. I figured 2 tons would be more than enough, with say a 25-30 degree rise on the trailer ramp you're only dead lifting a fraction of the cars weight at a time.

Good point on having safety chain, I will definitly do that.

13. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

We used a Harbor Freight ELECTRIC winch many times to load everything from Model A's to Hudsons on car trailers. Did Aston Martins and a Ferrari too. Actually used the thing to load a Diesel Suburban once. Had to wait a couple of times to cool the winch, but got it on the trailer. It must have weighed about 6000#!!

I think the winch was on special for $39.95 or something like that.

Oh, yes---We did keep blocks behind the wheels on all of our loads!!

14. if it rolls fine take along a couple buddy's and feed them, lots faster and if their is a issue you have help. i used them for years and they work good but slow, those $45 black winches from harbor freight work fine also.

15. Paul B

Paul B

Can you mount a crank winch like on a boat trailer ?

16. GREASER815

GREASER815

NO problem, loaded a 49 Chevy a few months ago with a come along, I just keep blocking behind the wheels if something were to go wrong. Never had an issue.

17. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Come-a-long will work, a hand crank boat winch with 2 speeds works even better and you can also disconnect and chalk the wheels on the trailer and pull non-running car with the tow vehical

18. chubbie

chubbie

wow, you guys make a lot of work out of it. a non running car,( no engine) say a 50 chevy pushes sooo easy!! pull it to the "top" of the driveway or a hill and set the trailer below it. set stop blocks around and push it on!!!

I've loaded every thing from model A's to farm machinery by what we call "pull along side" set a pull pick-up along side of the trailer and chain to the "dead" car. pull it on the trailer.:rolleyes:

19. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Try to make sure the tires hold air. Your dead weight comes into play when you have to roll a car up on flat tires. If you can take a air tank along with you it may come in handy. Good luck.

20. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

No problem

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. BJR

BJR

X2 on the pull along side. Loaded many cars, trucks, tractors by hooking a chain to a pull vehicle. Then drive along side of the trailer pulling the dead car up on the trailer. You do need someone to steer the dead car so you don't pull it off the side of the trailer.

22. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Bring your teenage son to work the business end of the come along , pizza or burgers when done. Learned this from my father.

23. George/Maine

George/Maine

I use the chain methiod all the time angle the trailer away from pull truck,hook on front of truck so you can see it going on trailer,and pull have someone steer it on.This is the fastest quickist safeway to do it.

24. for years i used 3/4 ton brand name come-along to load my crappy trailer. now i use a crappy $80 dollar winch. look on the superwinch site, they have a chart to help you pick a winch. it won't pull one out of a mud hole, but i pulled a 66 riviera with one flat tire on my trailer with it.

ok, i was off a little on the price, but this works!
    http://www.superwinch.com/c/utility_lt-series

25. skull

skull

just done it yesterday with a 1972 el camino we come-alonged up on my 20 foot trailer with no problem.

Later :cool:

Attached Files:

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Depends on the size of the boat winch. Some are made for smaller boats but the bigger ones are two speeds and have more pull to them. But even those are not as easy as one might think, they are primarily made to pull a boat the last couple of feet up to the winch stand, not pull the boat all the way up the trailer. The straps might not have a load rating strong enough for a car either.

I've had boat trailer straps come apart under load and they are like a bullwhip when they come at you. The cable ones are better, but still not as good as a true comealong.

Don

27. kyot4x4

kyot4x4

Ive done it with a ratchet tie down and a chain to hold it while you re do the ratchet strap. So a come along will work fine.
    Kyot

28. txturbo

txturbo

Once I had to load a car by myself....I attached a snatch block to the front of the trailer then hooked a rope to a tree behind the car thru the snatch block and then attached it to the front bumper of the car. Then when I drove the tow vehicle forward it pulled the car up onto the trailer.

29. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

100 ft of 5/8 nylon rope, block and tackle and a garden tractor

a come along works fine but needs a chain too unless the cable is long enough

prevent roll back

30. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Good one dude! a little snatch makes everything easier