Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help - dead 56 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rbonazzoli, Feb 1, 2013.

1. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

I`ve never had a Mallory that worked correctly. I swapped out the last one with a points dist with a Pertronix conversion. Glad you got it up and running.

2. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

"When it quits, the tach drops like it was disconnected even though the engine is still spinning."

That is a Pretty powerful symptom pointing to ignition.
    When my turbocharged Corvair's tach wavered the slightest bit I knew it was to re-gap (and clean) the points.

3. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Yes, agreed. That is what originally sent me down the path of ignition being the problem.

4. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

An interesting post-script to this problem. The coil died today. Now I suspect that the coil caused the Unilite to blow. In any case, I have the old GM style can coil in it now, and with the points distributor it runs great. No more electronic stuff for me, unless it is a GM HEI, which unfortunately will not fit without firewall mods.

5. See my post #5... I'm right once in a while. Gonna print this out to show my wife...

Bob

6. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Ano, to je pravda. Dekuji!