Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inglese Fuel Injection - Practical or Not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pewsplace, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I just purchased this sedan delivery with Inglese EFI and have been trying to understand the concept in case it should fail. I would not have selected this system if I built the car but it sure works good so far. My question has someone on here run this system with success. ( no major problems) I like the instant response of the throttle and the instant starting even after driving a long way. I would appreciate any comments, good or bad concerning the operational aspect of the EFI system. The times they are a changing.

Attached Files:

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I don't know anything at all about it, but it looks bad ass!

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rock-solid dependable.

4. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

EFI stack injection works fabulously. Mechanical, not so much on the street.

That's on my list for stuff for my new motor as soon as my budget recovers.

5. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

As far as operational aspect of the system, it BLOWS AWAY carbs in virtually any area of performance. But you already knew that.

i'm kind of in the same boat as you; We appreciate EFI, but if we had the choice we would continue to run carbs. As far as learning about it, you may want to try the megasquirt site and EFI really gets broken down there because it's a build from scratch type deal; This might help you understand it better.

i will continue to run carbs, distributors and no electronics with no plans to change. Not out of tradition, but for ease of maintenance and repair.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I would send away for their instruction guide and parts list in case something goes amiss. Wish I could afford the system but the ones I saw cost more than a blower set-up.

7. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Isn't the Inglese system running the EZ-EFI software, ecu, and harness? That's what I thought I heard. If so, it's pretty solid from that standpoint.

8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Jim Inglese is no dummy, & has in the past, had things well worked out, *prior* to allowing people to run his stuff. I remember his writing & ads from the SAAC days, early 80's, on Webers. He knew what he was doing, wrote about it in easy-to-understand language, & they (& the ads) were a rather hilarious read. I can't see him doing less than that w/the EFI.

However, I really never liked the fact that little-to-no air cleaner(ing) was ever used. For some reason. Looks, maybe? I'm not a fan of no air cleaners, nor screen. 'Course, I don't have the coin to acquire one of his systems, nor re-do a mill every few thousand miles, either. :( .

I'd be real happy to run his stuff, if I could afford it.

PS: I'd bet if you got hold of him, he'd give you more info on his EFI, than you may want. Can't hurt to ask.

Marcus...

9. brandokust

brandokust

Jim Inglese no longer runs Inglese Induction, it is a subsidiary of Comp Cams now.
    As far as running the system and reliability, thats more down to the ecu used than the parts (to a point). Properly set up, the Fast ecu is one of the best, and its ability to self learn means that the system is constantly improving on itself. As with any efi system, make sure that you properly maintain your fuel system, efi is much more sensitive to bad fuel and dirty filters than a carburetor, but for the most part to computer will compensate for most day to day driving problems (i.e;bad gas, slight overheating from traffic, etc)

10. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

What does this thing idle at? I read an install article on them and it said they couldn't get the engine to idle below 1500 rpm

11. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Pew: Mine is inj., No prob. and 20 or better for mil. Les

12. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Like someone said,, the ecm in my opinion would be the only component to be concerned about,,, The system is not magic ,injectors , throttle position sensors and the other sensors are very reliable, todays cars use the same components and go many trouble free miles. If you are worried about it ,see about buying a spare ecm to keep with you. You can troubleshoot them with a digital multimeter and some basic knowledge. The other option is to replace it with some traditional carb/ manifold and sell the whole mess to me.

13. Pews,
    What you have is referred to as a "speed-density" system. There are likely sensors to monitor engine vacuum, throttle position, coolant temp, and maybe exhaust oxygen.

Keeping all the electrical connections out of a bind, clean, and dry will help a lot. Make sure none of the locking clips on the connectors are broken. I don't know where Inglese sourced their ECM; but I can tell you that on OEM systems, the computer is VERY seldom the root cause of a problem.

14. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The system idles fine at about 700 rpm and runs really smooth on the road. The temperature never goes over 180 so that part is cool. I am more worried about what to do if the computer dies? It does has the FAST management system and a controller (obd11?) in the glovebox but I need to understand how to use it. I am looking into the local college for a course.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd call F.A.S.T. and see if they can help you ID the computer, and hook you up with the software. You can get a interface cable to attach a laptop to the ECM. I am fairly certain that you will be pleasantly surprised at how straightforward the system is.

As complicated as the system might appear, it is fairly straightforward to program. If you can get the software, have a look. You might not even need any help after looking at it.

Aside from that. I would get one of each of the sensors used in the system and keep them on-hand, for the unlikely event that you need one. As has been said, the ECM is rarely an issue. The only real reason that the sensors ever are is that they have some mechanical component, and are constantly vibrated and heat cycled, while being exposed to automotive chemicals. It is a decidedly harsh environment, so don't expect them to last forever. They will last a long time.

I have been working with numerous and various EFI systems, speed density and mass airflow, for some time now, both OEM and aftermarket. There is simply no way that a strictly mechanical fuel metering system can compete with an EFI system, in terms of efficiency. Yours even looks pretty cool, too.

I'd keep it, and run the hell out of it. It will allow your engine to make ALL of the power it is capable of, without wasting ANY fuel in the process. No carburetor has even the slightest hope of doing that.

The basic breakdown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_injection

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another thing that EFI has all over any other system, is the built-in self-diagnostics.

Ever have a carburetor give you an error code? You have to assume you know what is wrong.

With this system, you will get messages, in the unlikely event that something is wrong, like, no signal (sensor disconnected or dead), implausible signal (sensor malfunction), etc.

You can even observe live sensor output as a moving graph (on most systems). Got a hesitation at 2100-2250? Look at the sensor output, and see which one is reading off. Correct accordingly. No more guesswork.

Maybe not traditional, but it is not going anywhere. We might one day be forced, why not be ready, or already there. Knowledge is power. Efficiency is horsepower.

17. papajohn

papajohn

I like the looks of it and am very interested in it, but when I tried to start a thread like this one they shut me down because it was not traditional enough!

Looks awesome.

18. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

well i say pull it off and put a carb on it. then sell me the setup really cheap.:D:D:D

19. papajohn

papajohn

Damn! Why didn't I think to say that.

20. supervert

supervert

i would think you can piece it together for almost half the cost. inglese full system is right at 4g's

so say you can get a intake for a grand, but i know you can find them cheaper

get your throttle bodies from cbperformance for $530 a pair instead of $450 each. so thats another grand

then get a megasquirt kit for $600 bucks

then say a few hundred for linkage, plumbing, pump and other stuff

so thats at 3 grand and i didnt even shop around yet, i bet if you really looked around you can get some of the stuff even cheaper

21. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks for all the advice on the EFI. I am going to keep it on the car and learn as I go. It may not be traditional now but neither were 4 barrel carbs when I grew up in the 50's. I am always interested in making more efficient use of today's gas and technology. I will keep you posted.

22. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER