Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Frontenac 300 Pics/Drawings help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac the Yankee, Feb 19, 2011.

1. I'm looking for additional pictures/drawings/info on Chevrolet's Frontenac 300 racers- specifically, the one Mabel Cody owned and Sig Haugdahl drove. What I really need are good profile pics of the tail of the car.

Looking to copy the body style for a speedster I'm working on- any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks, Bill

Attached Files:

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bill I know we have been down this road before but here is another drawing of the Frontenacs as they looked in 1916. There were some body changes in 1919 so I am not sure that is the look you are looking for (although they may be the same-I never scaled it ). You may want to look at p57 of Wallen's Board Track book for a decent side shot of the later bodywork.

I am not sure where Mable got her Frontenac for Sig to drive but it appears to be a 1916 body. I do not believe she was the original owner. I thought Haugdahl drove the car after 1920??

The tails on the 300 and 3 liter cars were somewhat distinctive but you may have to use a little license if you cannot get the perfect side shot. Good luck-Jim

[​IMG]

3. Jim,

Thanks as always for your help! That's a GREAT picture of the 300 body- The Cody/Haugdahl body has a different cowl from the drawing, but that's not an issue. I've been playing around with a 3 view drawing from smcars.net of Chevrolet's Monroe Spl, but the tail just didn't look right (even with some tweaking).

This shot is JUST what I needed... if you 've posted it before and I've missed it, I apologize!!!

Do you know/remember the wheelbase of the 300's? I'm using (what looks like) a '25 or earlier Chevrolet chassis that has the 103" wheelbase, so I have some room to shorten , if necessary (the Monroe was 98" and stepped).

Thanks again, Bill

PS- will have to do some more reading to find out where Cody got the car from.

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bill the wheelbase on the 1916 300 inch cars was 104"-Jim

5. Here's the Monroe Spl drawing with a little editing- will have to redo the tail.

It's a shame these cars didn't survive!!!

Attached Files:

6. Will have to check out the Board Track book next time I visit my folks in Philly!

Thanks for the wheelbase... guess I won't need to cut after all :)

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bill it is a shame, but at least some parts to make a couple of engines survived of the 1920 mounts which is more than 300 inch parts. Back in the eighties I put an ad in Hemmings asking for 300 inch parts and the only call I got was Chuck Davis asking what I had, which was nothing. I was fishing. He told me the only thing he ever found was a chunk of the head which he used as a paper weight. I asked if he would sell me that and he laughed an declined. He was a pretty good guy but he would not part with his Frontenac parts (only trade). I am quite sure those parts went to Speedy Bill after Chuck died.

I suppose if someone could find the AAA tag they could replicate the car from that (I heard not long ago someone was doing just that and I thought it was a Miller-can't swear to it though)-Jim

8. Hi Bill,

Actually Mabel Cody never owned the car, Sig did. It was his #11 Frontenac. He would drive the car on Daytona Beach and Mabel would come down from the airplane into the open cockpit...crazy huh

9. noboD

noboD

Sig's grand daughter, welcome to the HAMB. You have our attention. I'm sure Mac or Jim will jump here and ask millions of questions. Any idea of where any of the parts are?

10. jimdillon

jimdillon

Welcome to the Hamb. I knew he drove the car but the ownership of some of these cars can be a bit hazy at times and I figured maybe Mac the Yankee had tracked down more info than I had. Do you know which Frontenac it was or any of the particulars of the car or who he bought it from? It would be great if we could fill in some pieces of the puzzles.

Hopefully at some point you will write something on your grandfather. I am sure there are some great stories to tell-Jim

11. Welcome to the HAMB- it's great to hear from you! I have some pics of that- will post when I have a chance.

12. Hi,

I will have to ask my dad about the Frontrnac. My dad told me Mabel met Sig and the fair grounds in Jacksonville, Florida but they really didn't work alot together. I have no idea what happened to the car. But as you may have seen in previous posts I did get to see and sit in the Wisconsin Special and that was a thrill.
    Actually I am writing a book about Sig and the early days of racing. Hopefully it will be completed this year.

Linda