Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Locoxp

Locoxp

another nz falcon, this is my headache. . lots to do:D

Attached Files:

2. cage66

cage66
    from reno

DAMN!
    You have a build thread somewhere?
    Whats the engine?

3. Locoxp

Locoxp

No thread sort of new to this thing. taken me 2 years to get this far. need to work less! Motor is a injected 1998 4 litre XR6 tickford, from the 98 australian el falcon, have since cut out front towers to fit heidts ifs, has also made room for big brake booster and maybe a big turbo down the track.. these motors make good HP with turbos!

4. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

Your Falcon looks great and will be a real head turner when finished.

5. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Beach Hop, I would take either one of them.
    They look like a lot of fun.

6. Alfster

Alfster

Doing Falcons Right or, Falcons Done Right?

Two threads and I really don't know which I should post this in.

Anyway, I thought some of you may be interested in this one from New Zealand.

We brought this one a couple of months ago.

[​IMG]

It was originally a 1962 4 door sedan and was in converted Austrailia in the mid 90's

Two doors and convertibles were not available in Austrailia or New Zealand

The front doors were lengthened 10 inches and the B pillar moved back to suit. There is extra bracing behind the B pillar and the back seat as well as chassis/subframe connectors. After more than 15 years and untold miles the doors still close real nice so the conversion must have been done pretty well.

It has been repowered with a 250 six and 3 speed auto and that's how it will stay. There are NO plans for a V8 conversion.

Wheels are 15 x 7 Cragars with 205 tyres. Front brakes are 5 stud Falcon drums. I did think about changing these at a later date to discs but I have found them adequate to stop the car (it is after all a cruiser NOT a race car) I may however fit a inline brake booster. To get the 5 stud pattern on the rear a Toyota ute diff with 4.11 gearing was fitted which has killed the vehicle for open road cruising. I have purchased a 8" Ford diff with 3.0 gears which is due to be fitted in the next couple of weeks. Then it will be doing some serious open road use.

It was fitted with overload springs on the rear which I removed and the rear came down 1 1/2 ". When the new diff goes in I will also fit a set of 1 1/2' lowering blocks.

While looking around on the net one night I came accross an article on steering wheel clocks which I found interesting. The original Falcon badge on the horn ring was broken anyway so I replaced it with a small clock.

[​IMG]

I also want to fit some extra gauges but, I have never liked the look of gauges hung under the dash. I thought about using a Mustang Rally Pac gauge set but the prices being asked doesn't really fit my budget. So I set to and made this gauge pod from timber. Once finshed off it will be sealed and painted in a wrinkle black finish.

[​IMG]

The basic car was in good condition when purchased and we are just doing some tidying up and fitting a few extras.

The rear window on the hood was the wrong shape so I had that altered to a more correct shape.

[​IMG]

Another project is a seat mounted console. Another item I saw online and figured I could make. This will be upholstered in red to match the seats.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  7. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Nice work Alfster, slowly gaining on my wrecked convert. I think a lot of people were confused on which thread to post.

8. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

This is my 64 sedan that I have had since 92. I drove it for 4 years then after burning a valve and piston it sat for 16 years in a garage, the build is slow but this is what I have done so far. Floor pans have been replaced so now the bodywork starts, there is not a lot of rust but in places that will take a little work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Alfster

Alfster

Nice car. Love the tri-power set up.

10. Alfster

Alfster

You Sir are a brave man. I look forward to seeing progress on your convert.

11. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Great job on the Rally Pac!

12. Alfster

Alfster

The gauges arrived for the rally pac yesterday. They wouldn't fit how I had originally thought. I had to cut the Rev counter apart and fit both the gauges from behind. Then I made a couple of clear lens for the front. Hope to get the paint on this week. Will post a pic when it is all done.

13. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I figured out how to delete my previous posts on the other thread, so I'll do some editing and start posting pictures of the convertible build on here. Someday, I'll have pictures of the finished car to post on the other thread. It is fairly easy to do, if anyone else is interested in cleaning up the other thread. Got my burnt cowl sandblasted today, so progress is being made. I discovered a few new stress points during the tear down, this should be interesting.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  14. Alfster

Alfster

Got the gauges fitted into the newly painted panel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  15. LOPESphotographics

LOPESphotographics

Parting out a 60 coupe if there is anything that is needed PM me.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Sounds correct compared to the Autometer I just wired.

17. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Gauges look great, Nice wood carving.

18. Alfster

Alfster

Painted the grey insert on the original dash in wrinkle finish today.

[​IMG]

I am going to be replacing the steering box soon so I will also wrinkle finish the steering column when I do.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  19. MrModelT

MrModelT

I'll join in the fun. Been a lurker for a while on this thread, but trying to get myself motivated to start working on my American '65 standard sedan.

I bought my Falcon at 17 (in 2001) as my first car. With only 75,000k original on the clock it was a steal for $700 dollars. It hadn't been treated well over the years, but was remarkably well preserved...No mods, hack work, aftermarket radios...nothing. Dad and I got it running and I drove it daily until she "semi-retired" 2006 and fully "retired" in 2009 when the 170 6-cyl started getting tired. I pulled it apart for a valve job, but just kept going. Originally I had intended to restore it stock, but being a "plain jain" 6-cyl, 3-speed car....they don't have allot of value. I also wanted to "drive" it and the little 6 was lacking as was the 3-speed and 3.20:1 gearing.

[​IMG]

Plans are now to do a full "frame off" job that will retain the 6-cyl with an upgrade to a 7-main post '66 200 ci bottom end with a hi-comp aluminum racing head, forged pistons, h-beam rods and three 2-bbls fed by a Paxton supercharger with full functional ram-induction hood (like the '66 Comet Cyclone). Target HP is 300. Backing the 200 6-cyl will be a T-5 and a Ford 8" rear running 3.55:1 trac-loc limited slip gearing. Suspension will all be replaced with correct Shelby GT:350 "R" code equipment front and rear fitted exactly as the original GT:350 "R" code Mustangs were prepared. Brakes will be either 11" or 12" Shelby competition drum rears and disc up front...or big Lincoln units like the Monte-Carlo sprints. Rolling stock will be original Ford 15x6.5 and 15x5 Galaxie 427 steelies with vintage Firestone pie-crust black walls or red-lines. The fenders, hood and trunk-lid will all be fiber glass and the car will be finished period correct like a "factory lightweight"...so the original color and interior style will all be retained.

Example of the scoop hood I will be building:
    [​IMG]

General "concept" photoshop of the stance I'm shooting for:
    [​IMG]

Any input is welcome....as I would like to do this car Right....the first time :rolleyes:

20. tpw35

tpw35

Man that is alot of work to put into a 4 door.

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

Very ture, but this is my first car and I don't intend to part with it...so I am gonna build it the way I envision...not to mention I love driving it. Also, if I am going to build it...I want to do so in a tasteful an unique way that really hasn't seen before.

A 4-door is certianly the platform for that :D

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

If Ford had done Monte Carlo with 6-cyl four-doors...

I can't wait to watch. Although I should probably be installing my Ignitor right now...

23. MrModelT

MrModelT

That is exactly the look and feel I'm going for.....mixed with a cup of Galaxie factory lightweight, a teaspoon of Thunderbolt Fairlane, a dash of Holman-Moody and a pinch of Shelby GT:350R for flavor.

24. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

nothing wrong with building a 4 dr. I like the last pic. I have been researching and Hot rodding the little sixes for over 20 years now. I had played with the idea of supercharging my tri-power but decided to run N/A and build another 200 with the aluminum C.I. head and a 75 hp shot of N2O for about 250 hp at the tires, I am in the parts collecting stages now. unless you are building just for the look I would say triple 2bbls would be ineffieciant and not a good performer on the six.even with small tripple 1 bbls there is more than enough flow than a street /strip engine can use. 450 cfm with my setup. I would go with a single 4 bbl with the aluminum head and 8 pounds of boost should get you right at 300 rear wheel HP. and not have as much of a tuning nightmare as multiple carbs. but these are just my thoughts and expiriences . sounds like an interesting build though.... post your progress.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've been watching your deal on this! I saw it somewhere here on the H.A.M.B. on your 4dr, MrModelT. I can't wait to see the supercharged triple deal go together! Been a dream of mine for a log time. I too would have to say go with three singles though. The last one I did about thirty years ago used three Holleys from a 170 (1905) but the new one I am putting together for the ranchero will be 3 Weber ICTs, which if memory serves correct is what '64falconsix is running on his car.

26. Awesome. I like the idea of your hot 4 door. The stance on that blue one is great. Where is that photo from? I looked at a white one just like yours but found issues this past weekend. I still might buy it if the guy is willing to lower his price.

You know if you were in Austrailia they wouldnt question building a 4door. The old road racing photos of Falcons had numerous 4 doors out there running. Interesting that when it comes to new cars thats all you can buy anymore.

Good Luck keep us posted!

Mark

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks guys! I do have a build thread here on my Falcon:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571758&highlight=mrmodelt

Don't have allot of progress here, but plenty of info and pics.

As far as the motor is concerned, I really have not finalized anything yet, but I really don't want to use 3-singles or a single 4-bbl if I don't have to and here is why. In all my research on these motors....I have only seen them running 3-singles, 2-2bbls or one 4-bbl, never 3 'duces. Now there may be a reason for that, but I love the challenge of building something that has never been done before and making it work and I also LOVE multi-carb setups. Sure they can be a bitch to tune, but that is half the fun! I have a close friend here locally the is a very talented engine machinist and racer who specializes in 6-cyl engines. All of his drag cars run 6's....So I am going to have him help me design, engineer and build this engine to hopefully Run the triple 'duces and the Paxton. I never intended to go cheap on this one....it will probably be the only "high-end" motor I build.

Either way, I still have allot of design work to do before I settle on exactly which carbs I am going to use. If the 3 'duces won't work....they won't work. I will research all options you have posed as well and pic the best. All of your advice is much appreciated.

I never cared for the look of the 4-bbl with the cast aluminum intake....it takes up too much of the engine bay. I am planning to build my own intake that keeps tighter to the block like the original log style intake, but haven't settled on a design. Since I am planning a blow-through system with the Paxton, I am planning to mount the carbs in a custom sealed "air-box" (like the supercharged Studebaker 289's) to help with sealing issues. On that note...I wouldn't mind using 3 singles cause you won't see 'em :D

The blue car is actually a photoshop job I made from a photo I took of a 2-door sedan I sough at the drags 2 years ago. I just liked the stance, so I altered the photo into a 4-door to make a good image of what I wanted.

I don't need a 2-door or a hard top (although I would love one :D), I love 4-doors. I grew up up with a Harvest Gold '65 sedan as a kid and made a point to have my own one day.

28. pcbart

pcbart
    from NC

The picture of the hood mods you want to do reminds me of the ones I'm doing on my 64 Ranchero. They're made from the hood "vents" from a 67 mustang only turned around. My nephew is the metal artist completing this for me. The underside looks factory as well.

Attached Files:

29. MrModelT

MrModelT

Now that... I really like! Gives the look I'm after....might just have to do the same thing.

30. j.r. Nice

j.r. Nice

Saw THIS ....and thought of your build.