Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help troubleshoot transmission noise: TH350 ticks, no slipping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seventeenseconds, Feb 1, 2013.

1. seventeenseconds

seventeenseconds

Hey I'm hoping someone out there can help me troubleshoot a ticking noise on a Turbo 350. It rattles a lot, it sounds like there's a loose bolt in a tin can or something in PRND21 when RPMs are over 1500, but goes quiet after shifting gears until it gets revved again. Tranny fluid looks fine, it doesn't slip and there's no loss of power. Could it be a cracked flex plate? I'm really not too hip on transmissions, I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. mj40's

mj40's

I had the governor do that at low speeds thru my subdivision. Put a new one in and it still did it. Damn politicians!

3. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

I once heard a tapping ticking type sound.. Thought it was the trans at first. The gear off my starter had broken loose and wasn't retracting and bounced back and forth. I wasn't driving it at the time as it was inthe winter... Sounded like a loose bolt rattling around until I got under and checked it out.. Just saying

4. You could be on the right track with the flex-plate. Also check for loose flexplate or converter bolts, loose or dented inspection cover, bad transmission or engine mounts, flex-plate installed backwards... What kind if car is it in? Does it make the noise in neutral or does it have to be moving?

5. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

What he said. Check flex plate bolts, teeth and starter before opening up the trans.

6. seventeenseconds

seventeenseconds

Well, that was easier to diagnose than I expected once I got the cover off. Thanks guys! Cracked flexplate:
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1359769746.069199.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Did it also "clunk" when you turned the engine off? Good find... that was the easy part.

Bob

8. seventeenseconds

seventeenseconds

I never noticed a clunk when I turned the engine off. I'm definitely not looking forward to dropping the tranny, but I'm glad it turned out to be easily identifiable and relatively inexpensive to fix.

9. no sweat here that is a very common issue with GM flex plates. picked up many cheap vehicles making that noise.

10. Not that big of a job.. can you borrow a lift for a few hours? All you really need to do is slide the tranny back to give you room to change the flex plate. Still have to disconnect everything under the sun... oh well.

Bob

11. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Good news.. ! Start with the easy stuff

12. one more thing DON'T CHEAP OUT and buy a offshore flexplate or you will be sorry as they are thinner than O.E.M. ones! I installed 3 on one vehicle and they all cracked in the same place within 4 weeks! I then had owner step up and buy a good one, that was 9 years ago!