Register now to get rid of these ads!

Green Valley Drag Way, North Richland Hills, Tx.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Vette 63, May 24, 2009.

1. Vette 63

Vette 63
    from Texas

Green Valley Drag Way was in North Richland Hills, Texas. Turn West off Davis Blvd. on to Green Valley Dr.. Then turn Right on Smithfield Rd. and make the S-Curve. Main Gate on Right 1st and then Pit Gate 2nd Right. Green Valley was opened sometime in 1959/60. I graduated from High School in 1962 and made about all the races on Sunday. If I couldn't get a ride I would walk to the strip. The strip ended about halfway between Davis Blvd. and Smithfield Rd.. Several cars went thru the hay bales, cargo net, fence and into the trees in the yard across Green Valley Dr. into the front yard of the house across the street. The strip had been gone for several years. Mostly houses and fields now. No sign of the strip at all. During the summer when I was 16 I had the job of picking up the trast the week after the race. I have alot of memories of all the cars and people who came to Green Valley. I can not under stand why not information, picture are on the internet. It was a great drag strip.

2. '57 Ranchero

'57 Ranchero
    from Texas

Yep, it was the very best of the best in my opinion. I made many of the races in the late 60's and loved the Polar Prix races in particular. Don't let any of the Smithfield boys read that you said it was in Richland Hills though! :D Memories...Yellow Belly Dragstrip in Grand Prairie, Mansfield Dragway, Forest Hills (it's still open) and all the others gone!

3. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I saw a dragster (slingshot back then) run over 200 mph at Green Valley. Thought they couldn't get much faster than that. When I was in college at NTSU in Denton, a friend and I raced his 64 Impala, C modified production, nearly every weekend. Met my future wife at college. She had never been to a drag race, and now 42 years later, she still loves to go. Unfortunately Green Valley is no more.

4. douglas78

douglas78

oh man green valley brings back memorys my dad used to take me the smell of that aviation gas, burning rubber, bleach for the tires your chest just rumbling from the straight exhausts ...... it was awesome my dad saw evel kneival do a jump there he jumped like 10 mack trucks

5. Laewnxylyg

Laewnxylyg
    from usa

I know Green Valley Drag Way, North Richland Hills, in Texas is a very long raceway. Its a very big valley. THis raceway stars from 1960s. It is very big raceway.

6. Not to dispute you BUT,,GreenValley was not in N Richland Hills,,It WAS in Smithfield..notice I said WAS..been long gone for years...

7. mickeyab

mickeyab
    from Texas

Spent many Saturdays and Sundays at Green Valley. Was there one time when the AA fuelers were doing qualifying runs. There was a band on the spectator side setting up to play and on one of the runs a dragster popped a blower belt, exploded and showered the band and all the spectators with pieces of the motor. Wild times!

8. oakhill

oakhill

I am old enough that I raced at Green Valley several times. The little town, if you wanted to call it that, was Smith-something but I don't think it was field.

Smithville sounds right to me.

I could be wrong, I've slept a time or two since then, but is was Smith-something.

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Green Valley had a very impressive history and in it's day hosted some big time races.

Jimbo

10. Welcome to the h.a.m.b. Enjoy the ride........