Register now to get rid of these ads!

sand blasting nozzles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by happy hoppy, Jan 31, 2013.

1. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I am replacing the 1/4 ceramic nozzles in my sandblasting cabinet and I never realized how expensive these little nozzles are. The best I could find was Eastwood at 3 for $20 plus shipping.
    I looked at Grainger, Amazon, and Northern tool.
    Does anyone have an alternative for 1/4" ceramic nozzles?

thanks!
    David

2. You think that's expensive, look into the Carbide nozzles. That'll kick you in the ass.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I buy mine at Northern and I don't think they are that expensive. As I recall, they come in a pack of 3 with different size holes. I think Harbor Freight carries them too.

Don

4. Old_Crow

Old_Crow
    from Arkansas

I bought the Harbor Freight blast cabinet on sale. Upgraded it with the TP tools USA made upgrade kit. Bought the carbide nozzle at the same time. 6 months later, still using the same carbide nozzle, and somebody blasts something in that cabinet every day of the week.
    http://www.tptools.com/p/2320,22_USA-Cabinet-Gun-and-Pickup-Tube-Upgrade-Kit.html
    They've got the little ceramic nozzles to replace the ones in the Harbor Freight gun too, and they're pretty cheap.

5. I make them out of 1/2" round stock, they last about a month. So what if I have to replace them more often.

6. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

I use carbides from TP Tools.
    If you do a lot of blasting it's worth it.

7. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

8. noboD

noboD

Every penny!

9. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

thanks everyone, I'll be upgrading my gun.

10. Beau

Beau

I just use a piece of steel tubing. When the nozzle wears out, put another piece in.

11. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

My TP Tools carbide is 5 or 6 years old now and i blast stuff almost every day and the nozzle is still in great shape. 1/4 seems pretty large though how many CFM is your compressor?

Rod

12. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

1/4 is what came out, been using this size for about a year and seems to work fine. my compressor can handle it. if I used a smaller ID nozzle would that make cleaning more time consuming?

13. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Carbide....nuff said.

14. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Mike, since you make your own, I am going to hit you with an idea I have had for quite a while, I always wanted to make one out of cast iron, then heat it cherry red and cool it with an air blast. Chilled cast iron is harder than woodpecker lips. Just always wondered how it would wear as a blast nozzle.

15. 97

Make them out of old wrist pins, for cabinet size blasters use pins from small engines such as Briggs and Stratton or Stihl saws...the mower shop is your friend.

16. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

TP tools has them and made in the USA

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Depends on what abrasive you're using. If you're using glass beads, or plastic, you can get by with the cheaper steel nozzles for a while.
    If you're using aluminum oxide.....you've got to buy the carbide...damn stuff even wears out the gun!

18. hahahaha thats for sure!! buuuuuuuut, I bought one 4 years ago and it is still in use today, good as new! Its worth every penny and more, just dont tell "them" that. :)

19. 327Eric

327Eric

about 20 years ago we were doing a bunch of blasting, and the boss used small block chevy valve guides. We still went through a lot, but they were cheap.