Register now to get rid of these ads!

Detroit Folks Prayers needed for Downriver Legend Mike "Gator" Gaydos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I am sorry and sad to say my longtime friend Mike Gaydos...known to most as Gator is not doing well health wise and has been in the Hospital since a couple days after Christmas. I wont go into details..those that know him know he's a fighter and has battled kidney issues and 3 day a week dialises for the last few years. Gator means the world to me and is "the guy" that would give ya the shirt of his back if ya needed it and has had a hand working on a lot of cars in the Downriver area over the last 50 plus years. If ya know him he loves to talk about "back then" and man ya hang on every word. One of my lifes highlights is sitting in "Gators room" aka the living room and talking about cars, bikes, being young, and having fun....all things Gator loves. I am asking that everyone that knows him or has an "old guy" like him in your life to say a prayer for my old bud.. I have daily and hope he can get the strength to pull out of this and take his rightful place... his chair at his desk striping something, reading what ever car or bike magazine he has at his disposal or entertaining some of his many friends that stop to see him daily with some of his tales. He has been a inspiration to me since I was a young man buying parts at Hollywood Speed Shop. Thank You

2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

loveoftiki...

So sorry about your friend Gator. He's in my prayers too...if it affects one of us, it affects all of us. We're all in this together. And, you're a true friend of his for Posting this.

God bless,

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

3. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

same here...best wishes for your friend..........from one who knows.......

Mark

4. Although I have never met Mike personally I have come to know and respect him through his incredibly detailed automotive paintings.He will be in our prayers tonight.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thanks for posting this, Mike is a dear old friend and everything "loveoftiki" said he is.... For years Gator was the glue that held together everything historic and traditional both Hot Rods and Customs in the Detroit metro area... During a time when just about everybody didn't care anymore.

Mike is a first rate guy and truly one of a kind. I have been lucky to meet a lot of Hot Rod legends in my life and in my estimation Mike "Gator" Gaydos towers above them all.

Hang in there Mike, I'm praying for you... Your ol' pal Dennis.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  6. wastedchilhood

wastedchilhood

Did you buy parts from Don Houck at Hollywood Speed?

7. No it was Norm ( the original owners son ) or Gator. This was at the Dearborn location on Shaffer, south of Mich Ave. There was also a Livonia location for awhile too on Plymouth Rd east of Middlebelt, Gator worked there for awhile too. He had photos of some of the old cruise nights from there posted in some of the early 90's Custom Rodder, the Bill Hines Little Bat clone Gator built for his grand daughter out of round bar and sheet metal. Bill painted it with Candy Apple paint he brought with him on one of his trips back to Lincoln Park in the late 80's sits in his Hot Rod room. Gator also contributed a column to Cruise News from time to time. Those of you that know Gator know how much that man loves flames and man can he paint em! you may also remember him sayin " Keep your flame lit". He is also a well respected pinstriper and is in the Mack pinstripers hall of fame. He's the whole reason I picked up a brush in the first place. A very talented man I am proud to call friend!

8. Deuces

Deuces

my ol' lady grew up just behind the shop on Calhoun.. They were located on Schaefer Rd. in Dearborn....

9. Deuces

Deuces

Those guys gave me free catalogs just days before they closed down for good....:(

10. Me and the family eat at Walts Hamburgers on Calhoun and Mich Ave all the time. What a great place, a true gem that I hope never changes. We like to eat there and think about what that area used to look like. Hell it changed big time snice I was in High School in the 80's.

11. Dennis you are so right. One of my favorite things to do with Gator is buy magazines and books over and look through them I bought the RJ Scrapbook before the holidays and we were looking through there and Gator says hey I got a picture of that car. it was in the Hollywood booth....pulls out "his scrapbook" and sure as shit there it is... with the Hollywood sign behind it!! He loved flipping through that book and remembering some of the cars in it.

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

My daughter and I just got a painting from him a few days before Christmas as a gift for her art teacher. A monster with a peace sign, my daughter is in the peace club at school, the art teacher runs the club. She thought it was so cool and immediately hung it on the wall in the art room. Just talked to Gators wife tonite, still fighting.

13. Deuces

Deuces

Did you go to Fordson High school???
    Class of '79 here...:D:eek: The wife Mary was class of '81

14. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, now that Monkey Wards is gone....:(

15. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Scotty just told me. Damn, I hate getting news like this.

Gator is a hell of a nice gent & I can't say enough good things about him.

I remember him from "back in the day", when my Uncle Fred introduced me to all the guys at that worked for Hollywood. Because I was still a young kid, Gator was kind enough to regale us with stories about those days.

16. Torchie

Torchie

Good vibes coming from Northern Michigan.

17. cw

cw
    from Midland

Lord, we don't always understand your ways. We don't know why this friend has to suffer, but we trust you. Please look with mercy and grace toward this man. Nourish his spirit in this time of suffering and comfort him with your presence. We ask in Jesus name. Amen

18. 4tford

4tford

Hope for the best for Gator. I grew up in Dearborn, attended Fordson graduated in 65'. Bought parts from Hollywood, my first set of ET's.

19. No I was from the Poor side of Town and grew up in Inkster ( one of the top 10 most dangerous cities in america per capita). It wasn't easy being a reverse minority if ya know what I mean. Lots of fights and struggles, but I guess it made me a tougher person that can deal with shit. We used to ride our bikes through Dearborn around Dearborn Country Club and say " man this is where the rich people live "

20. Thank You

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Prayers sent, stay strong Gator

22. Just got of the phone with Gator's son and I have to spend my last couple of hours with my good friend tomorrow, he is not doing well and they are out of options. I will miss so many things about him. I hope he get's to talk striping and paint with Watson, get the answer to who really created Rat Fink... Mouse or Ed ( Gator loved them both.... but he dug Mouse ) talk motorcycle artwork with David Mann, talk about the good old days in Detroit with "Hollywood Sam", talk chopped tops with fellow Downriver legend Dick Dean, and sharing memories of the old A Bros shop with Larry, and having Norm carve him up something cool, reunite with some of the crazy's from his biker days, and see his folks and hear his dad say " you never did stop messing with them damn cars " I am glad for the time I had him in my life and knowing he will not be alone up there and will be surrounded by other Kustom and Hot Rod legends gives me some comfort. I will think about him often, especially when I get behind the wheel of my car and cruise down the street

23. mortecai

mortecai

I am always sad to see a fellow HAMBer is having hard times. My wife and I will say a prayer for him too!!

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

Loveoftiki,...... So very glad Gator has you as a friend,... your love for him comes through loud and clear in the things you don't even say...... Gator is a hard guy not to care about,...... And a true "one of a kind"...... Wish I could be there for him when he crosses the finish line, But I'll bet he will be waving the checked flag for all of us that know and care about him when it comes out time to see him again.....

God bless you Mike !,..... And GOD Speed !!!!
    YER' OL' Pal,... Dennis

25. VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE

VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE
    from Michigan

Matt, he was always a legend around my end of town, followed him down Schaefer many times ! My prayers and thoughts go out to him,his family and you my friend
    Jerry

26. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

My Uncle Fred will be waiting for him up there in hotrod & custom heaven with the rest of the old Hollywood gang.

We will all keep him in our thoughts & prayers.

27. Good Bye Old Buddy... I will miss you everyday and keep your memory alive.

Mike "Gator" Gaydos Rest In Peace, Have fun up there and I will see you again one day.

28. Thoughts and Prayers !

29. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Prayers go out to the family from the SingleFinger gang.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  30. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Godspeed Gator, you will be missed!