Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sold the truck, bought a car ('53 Desoto)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Sep 29, 2010.

1. FrankyV8

FrankyV8
    from Holland

Read the complete thread, you had some work that needed to be done! Wow, as a first timer I wouldn´t have started on this one!
    Compliments on the outcome sofar

2. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Look ma....no engine!
    [​IMG]
    Just kidding, but look at all that room I have for a BLOWER;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and yes, this is one white spark plug wire. The black one that was there before had a little accident.

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Came a long ways, eh?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Those block-off plates are pretty sharp. I assume you made them? Nice work. What did you lose there? Heater? Any plans for replacement?

And yeah, supercharged 348 DeSoto sedan is a pretty crazy sleeper!

5. George

George

heater core.

6. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Heater core and fan. Cover plates made from aluminum. The heater core is shot, I kept everything. Maybe someday I'll fix em, but don't count on it. Why would I need a heater?

Oh, and BigCheese....its a 409

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I forget not everyone drives theirs year round.

Sorry, not sure why I started thinking it was a 348.

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I took my mother on a 200mile trip today to see the fall scenery in the Adirondack Park. The car ran and drove like a top, but I realized two things. 1: the wiper motor shorted out, even though I installed a ceramic reducer. 2: I guess I really could have used a heater in this car, or atleast the defroster. The last 40-50miles got pretty wet.

9. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Lookin' Good Hillbilly! I bet that thing really Hauls Ass! Congrats on a job well done. I'm gonna be putting a Smallblock in my 53 very soon, so this was great inspiration! And as for the wipers, that's why i always carry Rain-x! haha Glad to see you got it out cruisin on the road again!

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

It doesn't really go that fast, but its a great cruiser now. I just got back from rescuing my car from the side of the road. What I thought would be a quick trip to Lowes turned into a fiasco. It seems that the differentials busted, I won't really know what happened until I pull the diff cover. I'm hoping its just the spider gears, regardless those cherokee axles are a dime a dozen at the local yard.

11. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

12. Phinney

Phinney

Wow, what a ton of work! But man it does look great, and I really like the headlights. I've also been thinking about making some fender skirts...The cruise night shots with the family are great. My girls have only ridden in the '50 once, when we towed it into the shop. They did great though, they all made little engine noises! Thanks for bumping this.

13. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Time to get back on this. I've decided to take the 409 out for a while. It smokes a bit and has excessive crankcase pressure which is causing my tailpipes to undercoat the trunk pan and rear bumper. I don't have the time,dough, or ambition to tear the 409 back down right now. So for the time being I am going to steal the 283 and powerglide out of my '66 Impala. I really didn't want to part the car out as its a one owner with 34k on the odometer, but its sat for almost a decade in storage untouched.

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Also have to set my ring gear again cuz my buddy who "knows how to do it" fucked up and it growls pretty good.

Also would like to get my skirts finished up. A customer of mine is making me a new turn signal switch with his lathe. My artist bro is going to restore my original steering wheel in exchange for beer and chicken wings, and he is also going to make me a bitchin' Ferdinand Desoto inspired shift knob. Think Beatnicks of Koolsville skull with spanish conquistador helmet.

Also am going to run pipes on both sides now instead of just down the passenger side like I had them with the six.

15. topcop5129

topcop5129
    from niles Il

What are these headlights off of?

16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I believe he did a transplant of the headlamps and surrounding area from a 54,55? Oldsmobile. So not just the head lamps but a good portion of sheetmetal.

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

'56 Oldsmobile. as said not just the rings but the whole portion of the fenders were grafted on.

Not much to report on the car. I never touched the fender skirts, and my buddy still hasn't made that shift knob. I really wanted to put some miles on this car this past summer, it just didn't happen...

18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hillybilly4008, if that flathead quits, a 276 Hemi will shoehorn right in that engine bay. A very cool cruizer. I have seen a coupe sitting in town, but never have seen a 2-dr, so don't know if one was ever built. Many family men are building more-doors; help keeps everyone involved. Good luck.

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hillybilly4008, those turds want to buy your grille. Very, very, popular with sledders.

20. luke13

luke13

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hillybilly4008, you will really mess with peoples' heads when they see that "W" motor between the fenders of a Merc ?, Packard ?, "What is that thing?" The Olds headlight treatment is subtle, and the Packard taillights look factory. What a cool ride ! ! !
    ?,

22. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Heres an update. The 409 had a problem with "excessive crankcase pressure" and was smoking and blowing oil everywhere. I took it out with intentions of rebuilding it. I dropped in a sweet little 283 I had. I ended up falling in love with the 283 and sent the 409 onto the next person.

My upholsterer up and died on me. I didn't find out until about 2 months after, I guess that explains why I couldn't get ahold of him... Unfortunately by the time I found out someone had allready taken over his building and threw out all of its contents INCLUDING my door panels, sail panels, and headliner!!! They said that they had put an ad in the newspaper telling people to come get their shit, I never seen that.

The car sat in storage untouched for about 2 summers now. I decided to throw it up in the classifieds here, Just because I hate to see it sit. Today is the first time its seen daylight in two years. I just threw a battery in it, topped off the ATF and off she went. I'm gonna miss this car...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]20150515_121619

23. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Joe, that sucks about your interior parts. How have you been - haven't seen you on here in a while.
    Jim

24. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Nice work on the taillights! How did you get that fading body line?

25. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

This car is awesome! You should check out mine. I have a 54 Desoto 4 door im sectioning.

26. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Did you just fill the holes?

27. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Did you weld the skirt sides on?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Colin Levasseur

Colin Levasseur
    from Phoenix

29. Colin Levasseur

Colin Levasseur
    from Phoenix

2 door lovers can eat dog shit..... amazing he found this car! All you assclowns would have got your parts and scrapped it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.