Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear sump oil pan for 302 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

dropping the 302 in my unibody and the pan has a tiny bit of a front sump on it. That bit of a front sump is too much.
    Anyone know of a ford that ran a rear sump 302, 1988 and up? My block is an 88 and it looks like thats where there was a pan shape change of some sort.

What ive looked, shows that maybe a van or bronco? Can someone confirm for me?

2. kracker36

kracker36

Check out a 5.0 explorer from the mid 90's. I have one on a 302 now.

3. Brog

Brog

I'd like to know this as well, no aftermarket companies have a rear sump conversion kit?

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

there are a few aftermarket ones. They start out at 280 and go up! Id much rather pay 70-80 for one from orileys or somewhere thats a factory ford unit

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Early bronco pan 67-77

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Explorer pan looks to be similar to bronco/van pan. Early bronco is back far enough, though I'm curious as all the aftermarket ones for that early cut off at fitting 87's

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Even the pans that have the sumps in the rear (Bonco or Ford Mustang double hump pan) still have a pretty deep pan in the front. It has to be the size that they are because the oil pump still sits right there and requires a certain amount of depth to clear the pump. They are certainly not as deep as the front sump Ford pans, but are not going to be shallow by any means.

It sounds to me like you are looking for a pan that is super shallow in front and those don't exist, even in the aftermarket. If you drop the pan and look at just the oil pump itself, you will see what I mean about the need to have some pan depth to accomodate that pump.

I am running a 66 Bronco pan in my 27 and it is about the most shallow in front version out there, and yet it still has a pretty substantial front sump to it.

Don

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Would these mentioned fit a '70 Ford 351 Cleveland?

9. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

No, 351C 351M and 400M are interchangeable. You can get a 70's bronco or 4x4 pan, or they do make a Fox body pan for the Cleveland

10. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Try a 96 explorer rear sump,I used one on my 302 to clear a jag IFS.Got for less than a 100 dollar bill.

11. purelabor

purelabor
    from okc

See the conversion at racemate.com
    We make the shallowest pan conv around.

Jerry Allen
    1-800-671-1711

12. purelabor

purelabor
    from okc

See the conversion at racemate.com
    We make the shallowest pan conv around.

Jerry Allen
    1-800-671-1711

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I was just gonna say, check out the local dragstrip forums for parts. I know Milans forums are always loaded with parts, especially when the cars go faster, the guys go dry sump...

14. joee

joee

ur also going to need the pick up tube and special main bolt

15. Moedog07

Moedog07

Some of the Explorer V-8 5.0's had Aluminum oil pans. Keep that in mind when looking.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I had to get a Bronco pan and oil pick up tube to mount a 302 Ford into a 41 Ford sedan delivery. (same frame as a 35-40 car frame. This was in the 70s so there may be newer solutions now.) It was the hot lick for a 302 into an early Ford back then.

17. early bronco like everyone else has chirped in.I have used them V8 Explorer might work has a small sump in front.I had an aluminum one, just parted with it sorry. Canton makes one... nice...but $$$

18. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Just go to a SBC-they have a rear sump. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk,;)

19. greazy john

greazy john

check out ford performance , they have one with sump and bolt , look for it at summit racing

20. bronco gasser

bronco gasser
    BANNED
    from GB WI

I have a early bronco oil pan with every thing to set up for your engine. pm me if your looking to go that route .

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

It doesn't have to be super shallow up front. Just the one on mine (88 grand marquis) has mostly a rear sump, but an additional front drop that stops me from being able to set the motor as low as id like to. I do have room to raise it and keep it under the hood if all else fails.

22. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Ive got too much time and cash tied up in the 302 to go crossbreeding the truck. Have a friend with a later model explorer with the v8, have to catch up with them and peek under it. Also sent a PM to broncogasser about their setup

24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah, I hear you, I still got my Cleveland engine sitting here waiting for another project as I did go with the SBC in the end and was kinder glad I did but it sure hurt the pocket book...

25. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Ive sunk a pretty good lot of money into it and painted it allready. Looks like a later bronco/explorer will do, at least photos on the internet look like it. And I wont have to change oil pumps as they use the same # as mine allready has in it. Ill be off to the junk yard early in the morning to see what i can come up with.

26. bronco gasser

bronco gasser
    BANNED
    from GB WI

here the pics . I couldnt pm them to you sorry dont know why I cant get it to work. if this pan dont work look for a late 84-96sh ford or mercury with a 302 . they have a nice oil pan that has the rear hump . that might work out better now that I think about it. there thinner up front by oil pump . sorry for the late info.

Attached Files:

27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

No worries, thanks for posting the pics/ my motor is out of an 88 merc, and my pan is about an inch or so shallower than yours at front. I finally broke down and cut my trans hump to make room for it the trans and motor to level out and have about 3/4 inch clearance.

28. I used a oil pan from a 289 on my 302,,worked great. HRP