Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 plymouth special deluxe build up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48plysled, May 23, 2012.

1. 48plysled

48plysled

here are some pics of the body work getting done. I did radius the corner of the rear quarter window. Wanted to keep the flow with the top by following it through the quarter glass. Seen some where they pieced the rear quarter back together and it just doesn't look quiet right. So I dared to be different with it.

Attached Files:

2. 48plysled

48plysled

Let me get some pics of the work I did there. The photos I just posted only showed the fiberglass work to seal up the welds. I did add some radius to. Will try to get pics up later today or tomorrow. Thanks for the input though.

3. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

Really looks tough, keep posting pics, i do not mind at all :)

4. farmer12

farmer12

Just read through the build thread again and realized that you've accomplished quite an amount of work in 8 months. Can't wait to see where you'll be in 8 months from now! Probably collecting trophies from all over the country! :D Keep up the good work!

5. 48plysled

48plysled

Thanks Eric. I can only hope. Yeah really busted it out in the 8 months so far. Hopefully I'll be able to use this build as a stepping stone to my own company down the road. I would really like to be able to get my own shop going. But for now just do it on the side and make a little extra cash to fund my own projects.

6. 48plysled

48plysled

Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

7. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

That is how i started out, i kept having buddies of mine annoying me to do work for them, i was not interested in those days, but now, it is a full time business for me and i have not looked back, i love my job.
    And i am loving your sled, i would love to see yours and Eric's Plymouth parked next to each other if it was ever possible, that would be a Kodak moment for sure. :cool:

8. 48plysled

48plysled

That would be a great site. But I think the little puddle thats between us would be a problem. lol. Shipping costs to get my car there or his here would be insane. Best bet may be a photoshop rendition. :p

9. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I would like to see a photoshop rendition with both cars together. ;)

10. 48plysled

48plysled

Me too brother. Don't get any better than the ol mopars. Way overlooked and have just as good of lines if not better then the other cars of those days.

11. 48plysled

48plysled

Did some filler work today. Been kinda stressed for time as I started my new job on monday. so getting in some work as I can on it. Started to work on door and decklid fitting today. Gaps back then definately aren't how they are today. Definately need work to tighten them up but makes for such a better finished product. Here are the photos I took today. Nice being able to see the car take shape and the beauty that has been created. Long road ahead blocking and shaping. It aint easy to be cool. If it were then everyone would do it and wouldn't rely on people like us to make these rolling works of art.

Attached Files:

12. 48plysled

48plysled

And the rest of the pics showing the fitment. I also finished up the rear filler pan that sits behind the bumper. Now got to get the steel to make the bumper brackets. Got to be stout as hell seeing as how the rear bumper is tucked in pretty tight and probably gonna drag atleast once :D and don't want to risk bending up into the filler panel, quarters or deck lid.

Attached Files:

13. You've accomplished a lot so far. The only thing I don't care for is the
    front bumper. I think it looks too big/heavy for the car. I liked it with
    no bumper better. The Buick grille works in nicely. Perhaps a bit
    smaller bumper. Just my 2 centavos worth.:)

[​IMG]

14. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

That thing is sick! I want to build a late forty's mopar car someday, love the back, perfect! don't change it! but the front does not look right its good but the ass on her looks so perfect the front does not match it. I cant really put my finger on it butI think the bumper looks good the grille might make it look to flat faced though...just my 2 pieces
    love to see its mo-powered! this is how Mopars are supposed to be built, this makes me happy, so I don't have to walk up to an old dodge or plymouth at a car show and see a small or big block chebby under the hood as i roll my eyes grunt and walk away quickly. :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  15. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Love this car man; `48 Plym is the first family car of my childhood memory. The chop is nailed, nice flow and the buick grille works nicely although I think some Plymouth-ness is lost - just for my 2 cent personal taste.
    I'm sorry, but I'm just not feeling the headlight bucket extensions.

16. 48plysled

48plysled

I appreciate your opinion but I personally like the bumpers as is. Help to keep the rolling feel of the car. Everything else is big and bubbly. Thanks for your input though. Always nice to hear some suggestions.

Thanks for the comment. I agree it needed to stay mopar powered. Sorry to let you know though the rear is getting a bumper yet. Just my personal feel. The only other grill option for me was a desoto tooth grill. But was a little out of my price range on this build.

I thank you for comments. Its nice to know that the chop is nailed in the eyes of others. I went with the extending of the headlight buckets to keep from it feeling to flat faced in the front. I wanted to follow the peak of the hood and feel that this does.

17. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

The Buick grille has a DeSoto feel to it actually. What is the Buick grille made out of ?

18. Looks good nice job i have a 47 sedan myself had a coupe too but really want a convert 47 my 2 cent would not put skirt on it makes them look like a baby with a loaded diper

19. 48plysled

48plysled

The grill is a steel grill shell. Generally either this piece would have been chromed or they would have had chrome covers over the vertical bars.

I appreciate your comments Grinder. I'm getting pretty happy with how its coming out. But the skirts are staying. They add to the feel in my opinion.

20. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I like the skirts on.

21. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I too love the look with the skirts on, just looks more full in the rear. :D
    Seeing as how the grille is steel, you could add some more length and shape to the Buick grille like a 46-7-8 DeSoto grille if you so wanted to ? the grille would look awesome if it turned out at the bottom towards the front and finished under the front bumper perhaps ? I know i am creating more work for you buddy, but i am sure you would be open to suggestions ;)

22. 48plysled

48plysled

Thanks man. I am a fan of the skirts myself. plus I know what it took to make them and for that definitely want to use them.

23. 48plysled

48plysled

Thanks Hemiken. I am always open to suggestions. Even more so when its adding to what I have created. Not so much when its about taking pieces away. The point that I am at is because I envisioned the car this way. To take away from that to me just wouldn't be good. Like guys saying to run roll pans instead of bumpers. To me that screams street rod and that isn't what I am going for. I like the big bumpers on it and feel that they follow the flow I have created. They are big and bulky just like the rest of the car. lol. Now back to your idea. I'll definitely take a look into it and give it some thought. Thanks for the idea buddy.

24. 48plysled

48plysled

So sitting here looking back on my build to this point and it gets me wondering on the color. Thinking of changing the scheme. I get the feeling that maybe the color is a little too modern for this build. I mean yes I am running a modern drive train in it but motor will be done up with finned covers and dual carbs on an offy intake. I'm thinking possibly a old school flame set up such as pictured below. Not thinking those exact colors but maybe something similar. Or maybe something else. What you guys think? Give me some suggestions.

Attached Files:

25. farmer12

farmer12

I think a plain colour would look better. I always feel that flames attract attention away from the car. Just my opinion. Don't you want the car to be noticed for what it is rather than the extreme paint job?

26. 48plysled

48plysled

or
    I do but at the same time want a little more flare. Thats kind of why I was thinking something kinda old school. I want to grab attention and pull people in. Then once they are there they will notice all that has been changed. lol. Thanks for the suggestions Eric. I will definitely give it some thought as just a single color.

27. j hansen

j hansen

A car that looks as good as yours,are great in most colors,are you stuck on a shiny paint job or do you consider a flat paint?

And of course you keep the skirts on.

28. 48plysled

48plysled

Thanks man. I too feel that it has to have the skirts. I was considering flats but at the same time don't want to hear it be called the double R word. Its definitely not one of those. Its a kustom. or a lead sled whatever you want to call it. lol

29. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

Just came across this one, I will be watching especailly since has the grill of my car in it :)

30. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Well I was saving this one for my old dodge but I guess i can let you borrow it ;)...lol I have not seen a car done in this combo before and i know its just a toy Plymouth but I love the metallic blue front with the flames on the flat black with white pin striping.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us