Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I use old (new) motor oil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoghousehotrod, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.

Oil has had detergent additives since the 30’s
    These Dispersants keep contaminants suspended in the oil making the oil black in colour when dirty.
    Oil doesn’t wear out, it just gets contaminated.
    If it is clear / yellow coloured it is perfectly safe to use [ whether it is up to modern engine standards is debatable ]
    Modern oils have viscousity improvers [ to make multigrade oils ]

If you’re too scared to use it as lubrication in an engine, just add 20% gasoline to it and pour it into a diesel fuel tank.
    I’ve used over 7500 litres of oil as fuel in a diesel engine.

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

it needs to be used at least once before you can "recycle" it. put it in a prius somehow. that'll so it how real cars work.

3. wsdad

wsdad

Thanks for finding objective facts.

Any 10 year old can write an opinion in capitol letters and then cuss at people and call them names for disagreeing. I, for one, will search your other posts to see what other substantive things I can learn from what you have to say.

4. Oilzum,
    I used to run it in my motorcycle, I never thought of using it for midget wrestling. :eek:

I am no expert by any means but as I recall from a previous thread the older oil like from the '50s back didn't have the zinc content that we need for modern non roller motors. It seems that the zink additives happened in the later '50s or earlier '60s as an antiwear additive when valve springs got heavier and revs got higher.

I probably would not dump the oil myself but I may not want to use it in anything that I built to run. It may be usabel for a lawn mower or maybae an old flathead on its last legs.

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

You could probably sell it to someone running a military flex truck. Some of those trucks will run on anything.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sent it to me I dont think my 300.000 + mile suburban would give a shit what I put in it its just happy that I put something in it.

7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

soak some logs in it for a fire outside....

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A few years ago, I ended up with 96 quarts of name brand multiviscosity oil in metal cans from the late '70s. I have used it for several oil changes in my '91 Chevy swap meet van without consequence.

9. That is some good reading. Thanks

10. steems

steems

Sell it, NOS oil has to be worth something.

11. pumpman

pumpman

Hey Beaner, here is the oil that I mentioned. It's from the old South
    Bend Motor Speedway in Indiana.

Attached Files:

12. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I dig the oil shed! I agree with the others, have it tested and use it if its good.

13. What costs more, buying 5 fresh quarts of oil or an engine rebuild?

Are you a gambler?

14. i thought this was a joke at first , but we are going to be going over motor oils in my class next week and i will probably use the link to black stone lab, thanks.
    wonder if this vintage oil would be period corect for my build , might match my 40 year old whitewalls still filled with vintage air.

15. I had two cases that an older exec. gave me. When my little brother died he had my last quart and enough empty cans to make a nice little display. He had carried that stuff around forever.

Someone offered him a grand for it about a year before he died. He was broke and asked me about it. I told him to sell it but he didn't. The guy ended up with it anyway.

Oil itself is not going to go bad, it is already thousands of years old. But it does get contaminated and that is what makes old oil a crap shoot. Sealed cans maybe OK but oil in a jug with a screw on lid like we used to get in the garage is likely to be contaminated. I would think that testing prior to use would be prudent.

That is my take on it anyway.

16. Oilzum stuff is HIGHLY collectible. Jerry Slover from Pete and Jake has one of the cooler collections. You have a desireable find there.

17. Its old flathead racer oil. It was actually pretty good stuff, I don't know when they stopped making it. I used it in the '70s everyone told me not to use it that it would be worth something someday. But you know how it goes it was valuable to me then as motor oil.

18. They are still around.
    http://www.denlube.com/Oilzum.html

They bought the name from Castrol.

19. hoghousehotrod

hoghousehotrod

Blades, no excuse needed, my father, grandfather, and great grandfather just never threw anything away.