Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 408 stroker after the solid cam (video)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Jan 27, 2013.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

Well after 2 months of being down i finally got my Dart back together again.I pulled the W2 heads ,home ported them ,and installed an NOS Iskenderian solid flat tappit cam .Fresh 3 angle valve job ,new Milodon stainless valves ,10 degree super locks and retainers ,plus double Comp springs with 350 lbs over the nose ,and custom length pushrods.Cost me about 3 times more than i planed on ,but its done now.I broke in the cam a few days ago ,and just relashed the valves again.I was pleased to see that the lash was almost identical ,which tells me its not losing a lobe.

The new solid cam is .507/.507 lift and 300/300 adv duration with 254/254 @50.The tight 108 lobe seperation makes the throttle response real snappy .I cant get it to idle under 1050 rpm and it has only 7 inches of vacume ,but its fine for my needs .

I made a vid of it today ,but the audio sucks (proly from the open headers) .I just barely open the secondaries up in the vid .I cant wait to run it again and am hoping to get into the 6.90's this year.My previous best was a 7.13 with a wimp hydraulic cam and unported heads.I think i got a good shot at my goal now.

This is a 71 Dodge 360 stroked to a 408 with 10.2 compression .I see a bigger carb in my future ,but im gunna run it with the 750 just to see.Im thinking an 850-950 is gunna be a better choice with the amount of air the heads and cam are moving now...

2. Looks good but my sound must be screwed up,,,I can't hear it. HRP

3. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks .Im real pleased with the outcome :)...

4. My friends '71 Dart is a fullout drag car we run a 416 stroker with a roller cam I think with around a .670 lift and use a Holley 950 carb and it flows well . Look up Todd's Green Dart on utube and you will see it. The later vids are from last summer with our best times . Like the vids of your car from early posts it looks like a very stout race car.

5. :D :D :D :D :D

Nice!!!

2 things though.....

As you already know, that carb's too small which will lean out cylinders. Get yourself an 830 and that'll be a big improvement.

The other is, move that MSD box. Heat will kill it! ;)

6. The Shocker

The Shocker

I wanted to go to a solid roller ,but that is big bucks to make the switch on an "LA" style motor.Bushed lifter bores ,hardened steel intermediate dist gear,and alot more spring pressure .Also being a 10.2 to 1 motor ,i didnt want to run the risk of over caming it .These Econo W2 heads are good to .600 lift with the rocker shaft stands .Anymore than that requires the stands to be milled off and blocks used ,more $$ .I am on the lookout for a deal on a used 850 for this low buck special :)...

7. lawman

lawman

Thank's for the video !!!!

8. Babyearl

Babyearl

It sounds good,,:D the money pit is starting to work as planned. I'm surprised that it only cost you 3 times what you thought:eek:

9. The Shocker

The Shocker

It ran an 11.39 in the 1/4 at Temple last time i was there as the old cam was falling on its face 100 ft from the end at 6000 rpm.Im hoping to be flirting with the 10's now .I know i wont run out of heads , cam and valve springs at 6000 this time around.If it dont dip into the 10's ,more $$ will be invested till it does.I refuse to use spray to get it there ,even if it is cheaper than internal parts :)...