Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you keep motivated to finish?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swiss50chevy, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ...for one thing it's got too many doors!......jus kiddin'

2. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Break your entire car project down into mini projects. It is a lot easier and less daunting thinking about completing the body work on a door than the entire body. Make a list and cross them off as you do them, you see progress and completion at a smaller scale and it gives you motivation to keep going to complete the big project.

3. Although I do find that beer is definetly not a motivator

4. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

53chevtrev is right, make small goals, also, shoot some primer on it and then concentrate on just the bad spots that need fixed and not the whole car.Works for me.

5. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Maybe a couple pictuers of the finished item would help you. Looking at a pile of sanding dust isn't very motivateing. Hang in there dude..

6. 1arock

1arock

A complete start from scratch ground up with 1 wheel and a glove box door only build, that turns out to be a bad-assed-custom-cool-daddy show car everyone tries to copy, is really a series of little projects all adding up to an end goal. Looking at a project as a whole can be overwhelming for even the most experienced builder. I break it down to a lot a small achievable tasks I do and concentrate on independtly of each other. Finish one area at a time and sooner or later you back up look it over and find its...
    1. A finished bad assed hot rod that makes women squeel and men drool.
    2. An unfinished but much farther along project.
    3. Still in need of a lot of work, your sick of looking at and the case of beer in the shop fridge is calling your name.

......And it starts all over again

7. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Can't imagine building one from glovebox out lol.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. poor boy pumpkin

poor boy pumpkin

I forgot the most important thing in building a car, music!!!! You gotta listen to stuff that stirs you and motivates you inside. Blair some Pantera and youll be drivin it by the end of the week.

9. budssuperpro

budssuperpro

I purchest my F-100 6 years ago(Field Find rust bucket) and it set in the shop for 5 years and last year I put a motor in it and now this year I might get to drive it. Motivation is something I let go a long time ago. I just do what I can afford too.

10. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Pantera fucking hostile!

11. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

At your age and if you are single, find a really HOT CHICK that drools over Hot Cars. After a few dates with something like that, You will be busting your butt to get that car finished. Think of all the rides you can enjoy with a HOT CHICK and a HOT CAR !!!
    Have Fun, Jeff

12. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

What do you want...how bad do you want it? thats what you got to ask your self.....if you really want it you will finish it...not just to fit in, but finish it because you want it!....its what car guys do.

13. hot_rod_bones

hot_rod_bones
    from topeka, ks

with my job, when im home thats all i ever do. if you want some serious motivation, join the military, ship over here to Afghanistan. i get to come home every 3 months for 3 weeks, the whole time i work on my car. the next 3 months i earn the money to spend during the 3 weeks.

14. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Damn

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I use a dry erase board hung next to the car. Erasing stuff off the list and watching it get smaller is very satisfying. Make sure the list is small tasks so you can erase things regularly.

16. evilokc

evilokc

when mine was nothing but a giant paper weight it was hard to work on it but as soon as it moved on its own i was hooked and love to work on it.

17. I write lists and check them off as I go. Get one thing done everyday minimum and eventually the list drys up and its just - Gas Tires and Oil.

18. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

ImageUploadedByTJJ1361800324.685545.jpg

Got her in primer!

19. I started on my avatar over ten years ago. I started out with a cab, a chassis and a bed. Got it home, tore it down and went to work. Six months into the project I was diagnosed with stage four throat cancer. Chemo and radiation treatments began almost immediately. I won't bore you with the details but it was Hell on earth. I kept telling myself that if I survived this ordeal and was physically able wild horses could not keep me from finishing that project. That was maybe ten years ago. Late last Summer I got the truck on the road. Three weeks later I went on my first rod gathering of any distance. Had a great time. On my trip home I was just easing along enjoying the ride when I rounded a curve and hit a spot where oil had been dropped from a ruptured hydraulic line on a semi. Guess who ended up spinning into a guard rail? Yep, got both ends. So now I am finishing my truck for the second time. Should be back on the road by early Spring. I wanted to throw in the towel more times than I would care to admit but I was determined to see this project through to the end. Sometimes you just have to walk away from it for a while. Your inspiration will return if you really want to build that car.

20. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Plus lots of cold BEER !!

21. Glad to see you not throw in the towel,,at times you just need to walk away for a while when it gets monotonous,,Lord knows I went through the same thing with the wagon.

But as Dan George said...you must endeavor to persevere!:D HRP

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I sold off some junk and started buying odds and ends I need for the Roadster. It's fun, lots of stuff right here in the HAMB classified section. Feels good with the funds staying in the HAMB family. I'll get a bottle of gas Friday and start welding again. Bob

23. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Sidevalve kudos to you man! That one hell of a story.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I stay motivated by hanging out with friends who are also building cars. I also try to do at least 15 min. a day on the cars, which usually turns into hours.

25. I find doing a build thread right here on the H.A.M.B. is pretty motivating. It is fun adding updates and the responses can be very uplifting. Plus you will look like a chump if you don't finish it so that helps you get to the finish line.

26. Silverado85

Silverado85

"Those who succeed in life are too busy meeting challenges to notice just how unfair life is or how uneven the playing field" . . . Mort Crim

Keep working on that car - something every day

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I find that driving a VW Rabbit diesel every day is excellent motivation to get my rod going.

28. aircoup

aircoup

hell i hafta love what im doing or i just wont do it ,, and i work on something i love every day , either my 31 hemi coupe, or my 56 f-100, it really is ,, a labor of love

29. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I spend waaaaaaay too much time doing this. :eek: