Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banger daily driver???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redsteely, Jan 27, 2013.

1. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

Iam looking at driving an A coupe banger as a daily. Anybody out there done this before besides people in the 30s?

I have owned a stock one before but only put about 2500 miles on it over the span of 2 years. Never had any issues.

I guess what Iam asking is are these banger engines reliable when used on the regular or would I be better planning on swapping for something like an 8BA?
    Does anyone have any real world experience driving a banger daily?

Iam very familiar with Model A's and there engines but I have never used one for more than a weekend toy. I love the idea of driving one back and forth to work which is about 30 miles one way.

So what do you think?

2. Guy by me does it all summer. That's all I know, besides who he is.

Cosmo

3. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

4. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

they are very dependable and forgiving---do it

5. 97

Hit the Banger meet, some regular users over there. Just remember to subscribe to the thread... and there is a new one every month. You have to add the new thread .

6. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

There's a guy who worked for one of the main classic insurers (Hagerty?) who drove a mostly stock Model A Tudor as a daily driver for a year and blogged about it at http://www.365daysofa.com/.

7. olskool34

olskool34

If it is a good motor, you would be surprised at how reliable they are. I can jump in mine whenever, wherever and she never has left me on the side of the road. 100 mile trips one way no problem. Go for it.

8. Jonathan Klinger spent a year driving a Model A sedan,,I believe it's 365 days with a Model A. HRP

9. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

I think it's no different than in 1930.at least drivin the Banger any way.better than drivin the new crap.

10. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Then just for fun try crank starting it every time to see what thats like. Lots of looks and laughs.

11. Ice man

Ice man

I drove mine daily in Sarasota, Fla. and then had it shipped to St Thomas, VI and drove it untill I reciently sold it and moved to N Carolina. They are tough, don't treat them like a modern car, and you will enjoy the ride. Expect a lot of questions. Mine still had the single wiper with a crank in side. (No motor)I told them it was the first intermittant wiper, Got a lot of laughs. I used it in my Ice Machine business.
    Ice man

12. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

I know a pair of brothers in the NW that drive STOCK T's Daily! Rick even hand cranks it EVERY time.
    I'd say do it. At least you have good weather to do it in!

13. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

there are quite a few A's here and I have a near stock 31 chevy pickup that's going to be my daily driver soon. the old car and drive it its kind of really catching on here

14. The good thing is when the big solar flare or nuclear mushroom cloud happens and a big electromagnetic pulse wipes out the electronics, the old Model A will still run :D

I don't see any reason not to drive the banger daily, just take life a bit slower and do a bit more PM work so it stays running top shape.

15. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I drive mine nearly daily during the summer and would during the winter if I would have kept the fenders. Using them daily requires a fair amount more maintenance than a weekend toy. I never thought that I would spend so much time tinkering with the mechanical brakes, but it has been enjoyable. And, I feel that the car is better as a result.

-Mitch

16. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will say, most every day from the beginning of Spring through 'til late Fall.
    My '29 open cab is 6 volt and very vintage.
    Ol' Grum's been through the passes around these hills, and that's headed Calgary, Idaho, Northern California, and of course the Wet Coast. I run a comfortable 47 mph and have held 61 on a dead flat straight. But, the transmission will break in the 8th mile(also known as 666 feet). Yeesh!
    The old boy has NEVER let me down and I always have what I need beneath the seat. Condensers!! Just maintain a lubricated distributor shaft as well as all other moving parts. And keep the fuel bowl ultra clean, as today's gas sucks.
    That's it... drive 'em like ya own 'em.
    This summer I will be making a good run down to Vancouver Island and Victoria for "Deuce Day"... maybe I'll see ya there?

17. SJR

SJR

it was my only car in high schol, it wasnt restored, it had terrible brakes and used oil but never let me down, this was in 1982 drove that thing all over, had 12 volt system and a wore out model B moter , used water a bunch and drained it every night it froze out , this is in NW WA

18. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

Going to pick up A coupe this weekend. Going to do it! All else fails I ll just keep riding the Harley.

Thanks guys.

19. I drove my '31 pickup daily back in AZ with almost no issues. I would really recomend upgrading to a sealed water pump, keep the brakes well adjusted, and like stated above you are not driving a modern car...take everything easy and leave a lot of time to get where you're going.
    Only reason i'm not driving it now is that I live so far out side town, its takes me 45min on the freeway at 70 to get to work.....that turns into quite a few hours in the "A" every time I drive it to town.

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I drive it whenever the weather permits. Never let me down.

Attached Files:

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have been driving mine often for 14 years. The biggest best thing you can do is a high compression head. Its worth it! If you have ever driven an A you know about the transmission. I installed a fully synchronised 3 speed with overdrive. Now I can shift when I want to instead of waiting for the transmission. I can put it in first gear at any speed. I also put self energizing self adjusting brakes in it.

Attached Files:

22. we got a guy with a t, camed headers 97 carb and more rework drove it a lot last couple years
    moved up to a A with precision bearings, counterweighted crank chev pistons and who knows what else
    the t sounded like it had close to 80HP had chev 4 cyl ign, just takes a lot of enginuity and perserverance he run wood bands and motorcycle disc brakes on rear wheels

23. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

You thought you were bad ass on a Harley? A Banging A makes those guys look like hipsters, especially with a Header & straight pipe on your A.