Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar electronics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Jan 29, 2013.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I am putting a mopar small block in my truck. I have a ez wiring harness, but what do I for all of the plugs. There are a couple of different electrical plugs, voltage regulator, and others. Where do I get them plugs, or are there different ways to do this. I have thought of getting a old wire harness and cut them off, but is there a easier way, different voltage regulator. Lets here what some of you guys have done. I am looking to have this running with the least amount of wiring.

2. Willy301

Willy301

Using the old plugs is a great idea, and if you can take them to a NAPA or other car parts place and get the new connectors, then they look factory instead all the splice connections showing.

3. Scavenge from a wrecking yard - you just need the plug for the ignition module and the voltage regulator. Also, if you are running a regular mopar alternator, grab the plastic insulator the goes under the battery lead. I think you can source these new from a parts house too, but I have a supply of used ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 73RR

73RR

The coiled harness in the 3rd pic is the Mopar supplied 'swap' harness for installing the electronic ignition system in most early cars that had points dizzy. Part number P3690152. I have them in stock at $30.

Here is the schematic.
    [​IMG]

5. Thanks for the diagram 73RR- much cleaner than the one I have!:)

6. Never seen those before - long term reliability cannot be spoken for, I will stick with the divorced ECU setup, the wiring is dead easy any way.

I also hate the HEI distributors for Mopars - they look like ass and again I would rather have the ECU separate.

7. 73RR

73RR

^^^yeah, way too much billet bling for this old fart....

The oem parts are readily available in virtually every parts house and bone yard you drive by and cheap enough to carry a spare if you are a nervous type.

8. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Thanks 73rr that is a picture that isworth a thousand words. That makes it simple to understand.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Standard products made the pentagon shaped harness connector with stub wires to connect to the harness as shown. I've used Chrysler ign. replacement parts on most of my Mallory 2 piece cap dist. One on my flat head and my current 352 FE.

[​IMG]

IMHO they look much better than the electronic dists. Starts instantly and runs well. I hate the modern look of the electronic dists. No vacuum advance but I like them.

10. Thats cool, to each their own. I have spent time fighting Mopar ign boxes. No more for me. I got one of those ebay dizzys for my 273. I read lot of reviews and it was all positive, so we will see. The distributor is about $15 more that the stock piece.

11. 73RR

73RR

Nearly every 'problem' I have encountered with the Mopar ecu has been a direct result of poor grounding.

Hope the new piece works well for you.

12. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

You are correct, if a mopar ignition does not work, it is almost always the ignition box not grounded.

13. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

Great info, thanks for posting....

14. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I'll be sticking with stock ignition for sure. I like being able to stop anywhere to get parts.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That is exactly why I went with Chrysler ign. instead of Pertronix, MSD etc. etc. Every good parts store will have the parts. All of the parts used in my conversion came from an auto pats store. No mail order shit.

16. I agree as well - I usually run a ground wire from one of the attaching bolts for the ECU to an intake manifold bolt or other good engine ground - no problems.