Register now to get rid of these ads!

lost another racing legend,,Kenny Montgomery-555

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSURFER, Jan 29, 2013.

1. sad to report Super stock hall of fame racer Ken Montgomery passed away last night ...god speed Ken!

Attached Files:

2. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

A customer has been keeping us updated on Ken, and yesterday did say he may not make it through the night. My thoughts and prayers are with the family... and may he rest in peace.

3. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Saw him race only once.

Rest in Peace Ken.

4. Mr 555

Attached Files:

5. Ken was a true legend. He has owned his '65 Plymouth Race Hemi since it was brand new. He also raced the same car at the "Woodstock" of SS/AFX drag racing, the 1965 Super Stock Nationals in York PA. He also was the original owner and still owned his '68 Hemi Super Stock 'Cuda. How many people can say they have owned these two great cars since new, zero!! He was also a NHRA National Event winner with his '65 Plymouth.

I had the pleasure to race against Ken at many events and feel very lucky to have done that. His death is a great loss to our sport. The Triple Nickle will never be forgotten...

Here is a video of Ken doing what he did best (borrowed from Bangshift)...

http://youtu.be/tcsZ--AkUdw

Appreciate our drag racing heros, they won't be here forever.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

such a loss, sympathy to all that really knew him.

7. rip 555 a true mopar legend

8. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

My thoughts, prayers and condolences to the family and friends of Ken Montgomery.

9. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Kenny was a "GREAT" guy and he will be missed. RIP Kenny..........

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Dang! Too many legends are going home after a race well run.:( R.I.P.

11. Posted by Brian Lohnes
    One of the great competitors in the history of sportsman drag racing has died. Ken Montgomery who purchased his 1965 Plymouth Belvedere A990 Hemi race car new from a dealer in 1965 and went on to race it in Super Stock for almost 50 years passed away yesterday. Montgomery was a three time national event winner, a multiple time divisional winner, and a race winner at specialty events in the SS/B machine. Originally an automatic transmission car, Chrysler racing brass insisted that Montgomery swap the car over to a four speed in the early 1970s to remain competitive in his class. Apparently they were helping to sponsor his efforts, so Montgomery made the change and never looked back. The car has been a four gear for about 40 years! Amazingly, Montgomery still had the originally installed factory Hemi tucked away safely. The engine that he last campaigned in the car was a combo of an early 1970s block and late 1960s heads.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tcsZ--AkUdw

Looking back in our big archive here at BS Eastern World HQ, we found that Montgomery won the 1971 Summernationals, the 1973 Gatornationals, and the 1998 Keystone Nationals which are run at Maple Grove. As a dude who hailed from PA, this must have been neat for Montgomery. We’ve run video of Montgomery making laps and ripping the four speed handle nearly through the floor of the Plymouth and we’ll include that below again as a fond reminder of just how cool he was when doing his thing on the strip.

Montgomery and his ’65 were as perfect a match as any man/machine combo in drag racing history. We can’t think of another car that was owned longer and raced harder by an original owner than the famed “Triple Nickle”. Think about it, this car has had more laps put on it than we can even imagine and they were all put there by one guy! Lots of cars get bought, raced for a year or two, then change hands a hundred times and end up sitting in a field. Not this one! Adding to the awesome is the fact that the car has all the factory lightweight panels installed from the factory and was never stripped, crashed, or otherwise defiled. We hope that the car continues to do what it was built to do, which is to terrorize strips and the competition as it has been since Montgomery plunked down like $3,000 to buy it new in 1965.

Ken Montgomery may be gone but his memory will last for a long time. Some men who have achieved fame in drag racing were defined by their attitude. Others were defined by their successes. Ken Montgomery was defined by the fact that he was one heck of a guy who found his mechanical love very early on and never left its side (or seat).

12. RIP !
    the in car video is awesome, beastly indeed!

13. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

We lost another good guy....RIP Ken.

14. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

15. RIP Ken Montgomery...

16. sololobo

sololobo

I have a MoPar jones and discovered this great guy via searches of related issues. He was certainly a stand up guy with amazing skills. He will be greatly missed. R.I.P. and thanx for all you did. ~sololobo~

17. Another Legend gone, R.I.P. 555

18. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

Thanks HOTRODSURFER...

19. frank spittle

frank spittle

My condolences to his family and friends. He was a great racer and a wonderful person.