Register now to get rid of these ads!

homemade traction bars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8nova64, Jan 25, 2013.

1. v8nova64

v8nova64
    from !!

please delte

Last edited: May 22, 2013

2. The bar doesn't care what side of the spring the axle is on.

1/4" plate, 3/4-1" mechanical tubing 1/8 wall min. and heim joints.

3. I know there have been a few guys mentioned making copies of ansen ground grabbers for novas
    If you cant find a used pair.

Attached Files:

4. Deuces

Deuces

Don't use cheap square tube stock like Lakewod does....:mad:
    I had a set rot from under my car...:rolleyes:
    Damn, I hate rust!..:mad:
    To me, it's just another 4-letter cuss word..:mad:

5. Too late today.
    Send me a PM and I'll try and create a drawing for you over the weekend.

6. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Ladder bars connect from the rearend to the frame solid, traction bars move up when the leafs roll from the launch of the car and only stop at the rubber snub..alittle more movement from the traction bar..unless you preload it but I would'nt do that on the street..

7. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I think traction bars are less agressive

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

:eek:

9. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Isn't that just a mini ladder bar that can be preloaded?

10. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Ladder bars on the street is gonna be harsh. Search diy caltrac

11. blacksheep55

blacksheep55
    from jasper ga

If you have a gasser style car IMHO I think a set of slapper bars would be more correct for the vibe of the car. Why not make you up a bitchin set of drilled slapper bars. They will also work very well when set up right. Just my $.02

12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Quite a while back there was a how to thread on here for home made Cal Tracs. I didn't follow it to the letter, but I made my own. I plan to make another set for my straight axle Henry J when I get it a little farther along.

Blue

13. CGkidd

CGkidd

Might be looking at making a set of caltracs any one have some designs

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

14. CGkidd

CGkidd

Kerry thanks awesome link. Very concise and easy to follow. Will be looking at makinf a set for the gasser.

15. isky1843

isky1843

The bars in that link will create suspension bind. The cal tracs are designed to adjust for the arc of suspension travel by having a two piece bar. One end slides into the other. That way the bar can become longer or shorter as the suspension travels. Same reason you have a slip yoke in the back of your transmission instead of a stationary mount. You could still make them but it will be a little more complicated than what was shown.

16. I had slappers on the coupe for some four years. Made a difference but the ride was harsh. Ran a best 60 foot of 1.98 with them. Switched to a homemade set of caltracs. I've not had any bind issues. Can't say I've seen any with the slip joint you describe. In fact that would defeat the purpose. Regardless these have a MUCH better ride and a best 60 foot of 1.76. I think the ride might be rougher if I put more preload in.

[​IMG]

17. Here's a bonafide Calvert Racing Caltrac and it has a one piece tube.

[​IMG]

18. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

Correct me if im wrong but the Slip joint or tube in tube style are like "slide a links" from Comp engin. Cal tracs are a bar with a heim on each end and brackets to act as a lower 4 link bar. that preloads against front section of leaf spring. I have a set for an off topic nova but haven't taken them out of the box yet.

19. isky1843

isky1843

You guys are correct, just went and looked and they are comp not cal trac. The pivoting front connection is what corrects for travel on the cal tracs. Much better design in my opinion than the comps.

20. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Kerry, it looks like the top bolt/ spacer tube is resting on the spring and the top of it is pretty close to the bottom of the frame. Caltrac's should be adjusted so that when used on the street they do not rest on the spring which would give a softer ride than you are getting. When at the strip you adjust each side for preload for best traction.

21. Exactly but beggers can't be choosers. The leaf is CLOSE to the frame. There really isn't room to back it off and you can see already that I changed the ratio of the fulcrum by moving that bolt out back from the spring eye. Even the way it is, the ride is WAY better than when I had the slappers on. That and I like the way it makes the street tires hook.

22. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Well hot rods aren't supposed to be a floating ride are they? As long as you are enjoying it that is what it is all about. I have plates and bars that I was going to use on the wagon but now they are going on the 53HJ.