Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thanks to all who attended the 2013 GNRS Suede Palace

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Jan 28, 2013.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Hey gang,
    Just want to thank everyone who attended and/or supported this years 2013 GNRS Suede Palace.
    As Chris from the Emperors said on stage - " The quality is WAAAAY up , and Its turning in to the Painted Palace". Quality was definitely over the top this year whether cars were in primer, paint, or patina!

Entertainment was amazing with James Intveld , Vicky Tafoya & the Big Beat, & The Mighty Mojo Prophets performing all weekend.

Special thanks to:

Celeste
    The Bouchards
    Miguel "Top Hat" from the Lifters
    Steve Werthheimer
    John Buck

Low Down Kustoms
    Acme Speed Shop
    Sentinels
    Road Devils
    My Baby Jo
    Corsairs
    Beatniks
    Throttle Kings
    Dead Sleds
    Cavaliers
    Fellas
    Emperors
    Crusaders
    Turks
    Strugglers
    Lords

All of the awards were killer!

Main Suede Palace award winners:

BEST HOT ROD - Mynor Martinez - Red '40 Ford coupe - Throttle Kings car club

BEST CUSTOM - Mike Bello - Burgundy '40 Mercury - Bellos Customs - San Diego.

BEST OF SHOW - Dave Mock "DaveyDeuce" - Black with Flames '40 Ford Coupe with Blown Caddy engine.

See everyone next year !

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Best of Show - Dave Mock's '40 Ford. Congrats

Attached Files:

3. Good taste in cars,,the coupe is a beauty! HRP

4. My first time there. Axle is a stand up guy, had a great time, great cars and great music! Set off a good vibe for the whole weekend!

5. sdroadster

sdroadster

We saw Vicky Tafoya and the Big Beat on Saturday afternoon and was blown away. She is a full on Blues Shouter like Big Mamma Thorton. They were really something special.

6. axle

axle
    from Drag City

YES! Nice comparison !

7. Wow some of our favorites were the bare metal roof chevy in the corner that was lead finished, that 60's style scalloped Chevy pick-up that was outside the side doors, the blue shoebox that was in the front and the list goes on. There were so many period correct built Hot Rods and Kustoms that it was difficult to only pick one.............so if your okay with it Alex, we would like to present two of our traditional trophies next year; one Hot Rod/Gasser and one Kustom! We promise were not going to be stage hogs!! :D

8. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Axle, The Palace was great as usual. Definitly one of the main highlights of the GNRS, keep up the great work !!!!! Jim

9. M.Edell

M.Edell

So Damn Sad I missed it this year.I wont miss it ever again.Congrats to Dave! Right on buddy! Not only do we have the love for Cadillac Power in common but we also have Best of Show Suede Palace trophies too! Seemed like a great time.Axle, I look forward to hanging out in Sacramento.Sam and I are taking you out to Dinner..

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool, I didn't know Dave won!!! I've loved that car for over 30 years since it was in Street Rodder magazine.

Axle, the Suede Palace was bitchin' this year, as always! I did remark to my buddies thought that there seems to be less primered cars every year...

11. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Yes, we need to keep the tradition of having a good amount of primered / patina'd cars in there for the future.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Naw, that's not really what I was saying, kinda. I happen to prefer primered cars myself. But I see the rise of painted cars in the Suede Palace as evolutionary. Back when you put the first one together, it seemed like to be a "traditional hot rodder" you HAD to have your car in prime. It's just kinda cool and somewhat different to see changes in our little corner of the world as people's talents have changed. I do dig the mix as it is!

13. BadLuck

BadLuck

Thanks so much Axle.. We had an awesome time with everybody there.. you got a good thing going there.. and it gets better every year! See you in Vegas! CJ

14. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Thanks for treating us well Axle. The room was rockin' with some genuinely interesting cars, smooth style, excellent music and great people watching. There is a curiosity factor that brings nearly everyone into the Suede. While some cringe with indignation and can't get out of the room fast enough, the ones who stay and appreciate the scene by taking in the cars and getting to know the awesome vendors (plus BOMONSTER) help make it a once-a-year experience that lasts a lifetime. We missed Celeste but somehow no one died.

15. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Axle , another show well done. Best to you and Celeste.

Nick ( lucky devils)

16. espi1

espi1

17. What can we say that hasn't been already said!! SUPER show as usual! Knowing Alex, it will only get better!! We were BLOWN AWAY with the selection of "BEST OF SHOW" For the many, many Folks that extended their positive comments and congrats, from the bottom of our hearts, THANX!!! A whole building full of GREAT cars, had to be very, very difficult to make a selection. Once again, THANX TO ALEX, MIGEL AND CELESTE FOR ANOTHER SUPER SHOW!! Alex did assure that next year, your goodie bag will include umbrellas!!! LMAO!!! Good Job Folks!!

18. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Best building at the show, so many cool cars. It was fun to see the awards and concert Saturday night. James Intveld was a great choice.

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I actually only go to see the Suede Palace and the Drive-in. I agree, quality of cars was way up.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks to you, Axle, and everyone that helped to make the Suede Palace such a great
    place to be at - had a great time.

21. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Here is a bigger version of that photo for you. Thanks Axle for a great event and big congratulations to Dave and all the other trophy winners.

[​IMG]

22. wallyringo

wallyringo

great job Axle, you and your wife did a great job. once again it was a fantastic show and beautiful cars. The great thing about the Suede Palace is its right there in front of you when you walk in. It`s not a building buried in back like some of the other ones.<O:p</O:p

23. april may

april may

Well said! Thanks Axle. Can't wait for next year.

24. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Thanks to everyone that attended the suede alley and the mexican village.Despite the rain saterday morning , we were able to fill the place up, you guys are hard core, I saw guys with roadsters driving with trash bags as rain suits. Many thanks to Alex for all his hard work and John Buck for putting on a great show.
    This year's winners for outside was Aladin from the Cavaliers for his modified roadster and Paul from the Throttle Kings for his chopped 47 ford and thanks to all the clubs for making all the bitch'en club pick trophies.

25. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

So bummed I had to stay home this year, but with the rain, a short crew at work and my weekend in Tijuana- it had to be done. Looks like the turnout was awesome as usual. Next year cant come soon enough, but Ill be ready for the suede palace. :)

26. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was my first trip to the GNRS. The Suade Palace was a real highlight for my son and me. We kept finding ourselves in there checking things out. Well done and thanks!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. Silverado85

Silverado85

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  28. Silverado85

Silverado85

Axle, loved the set up and all the extra cars outside around the Suede Palace area. Thanks for the Kool set Up!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  29. Billy54

Billy54
    from Houston

The Suede Palace has been my favorite as far as the GNRS show goes, I find my self in there more than anywhere else...great Job Axle! I fell in love with the 37 Cabriolet out front

30. Pickup Man

Pickup Man
    from Sacramento

Good times! will be back!