Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hotrod Ethics...I Have A Question Of Those Who Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by monkey's wrench, Jan 28, 2013.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i'm still not clear what the problem is? Please describe in great detail.

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

A friend of mine (Groucho) built a '38 Chevy in the Gasser style. Another guy I know bought the car. He shows up at the local coffee/hang out and proceeds to tell everyone he had the car built to his own specifications. Another friend (Cal Cowboy) walks up and says, "Hey, I see you bought Groucho's car. The guy gets a look of terror and hustles Cal Cowboy away from the crowd. He snarls, "No one has seen this car!". Cal Cowboy tell him everyone on the HAMB knows this car!!!!

3. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Dude is telling a lie...and him knowing the truth and being part of that truth is what I'm feeling he's upset at. At least i would, shit!!! Dudes not a friend ,thats for sure and I would be telling the truth when and if people asked.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

A question for Monkey's Wrench;

Have you approached your "friend", stated your thoughts on the situation to see what he has to say about the whole deal?

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

This is a good start. Next, if you have a website, post it up on there and show the work you did. The truth will eventually rate out the lies. Or just keep posting it on various other sites. It will find it's way back to your buddy.

I'm not really into the made up patina thing so much just for this very reason. A job done too well just leads to fakery and false impressions. And looks like you did a great job on it, maybe too damn good.

Sorry about the loss of your mother, and your 'friend'.

6. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Liars and thieves, no difference in my book. I have dumped a few friends over the years for doing such things. Live and learn.

7. I saw this car at the show, I didnt look at it that close. I was distracted by the 1934 Ford Fordor beside it.

Did I see cards on them that had something to do with surviver cars and the Early Ford store ?????

The story is very interesting.

8. chrisp

chrisp

The point here I believe is if the builder's name is on the car and people like the build they might contact him for a job, if not it's not his liar buddy who's gonna put bread on his table.
    I've been screwed like that too so now I do restauration or build posts of what I do, it's how I got employed by my actual boss, it's not an ego thing: it's how I make my familly live and do something I love instead of fliping burgers...

By the way nice looking "survivor"

9. Well crap, go out to the garage and work on my coupe, come back in and a lot has happened. I didn't want to post pictures mostly for steppin' on toes. If it spears a deal for him I would feel bad, old cars are his bread and butter too. Kind jacked up, and I can already hear a hundred voices saying I'm an idiot. Trying to be a better person nowadays...got kids now.( thus Monkey's Wrench, i call my kids monkeys, and I'm their wrench)
    As for the patina, I'm glad it did it's job. Yes, I was hoping to get work from the gig. I had talked to the owner about telling people what I'd done with the car. The only people I'd found that knew were the guys that had seen the car before...or put 2and2 together. What really pushed me over was talking with some East Coasters this past week, and hearing what they heard, then seeing the car at a show like that.
    Thank you all for your condolences. Mom's in a better place. Cancer Sucks!

Hells Hot Rods...Know who you are, only 3 people know what bolts. Haven't moved yet. Took the past 3 weeks off remodel and was helping Rudy finish up Jersey33 for the show. June will be official relocation.

CrazyBackyardBuilder...I painted the front fenders and hood sides on the moredoor too. It has a stock motor that had sat for 30+yrs and mechanical brakes...Bitchen old Bonnie & Clyde car

10. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

What is the issue you are having? Please describe further.

11. 777

from Pasadena

Wow, great work, you should be working here in Hollywood at a studio making sets.

If I work on a car, I take the credit for the work I do and when my friends help out or take care of me on a deal I make sure they are mentioned accordingly.

I do lots of consultation and engineering work on hot rods and race cars that belong to friends. If they keep it for a while, drive it around and wear it out a bit, no charge. But if they burn out on the project or sell it to turn a quick profit, their used to me calling and asking a fair percentage based on the hours I have put in.
    I practice the same thing with friends that are shop owners, if we have a good give and take relationships where the check and balance seems close it isn't a big deal but every once in a while one of those guys comes along that just has to get one over on everyone. I simply charge them shop rate and keep my guard up.

Keep up the quality work and don't be shy about taking credit for your work and we'll all know you soon enough.

12. chevy3755

chevy3755

time to move on.............been there and done that

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I can't believe the responses here, either!
    This is one of the few things that can turn my stomach about this hobby!
    If YOU built it, YOU should get the credit. Money doesn't matter, except for the greedy ones. Dont' matter if you bought it, found it, or built it, the builder should be recognized. It all has to do with ethics, truth, and a man's reputation, and craftmanship.
    SO NOT let others take credit for your blood sweat and tears!
    I'd call this guy out. I'd let all my friends know how he's making up these stories, and they obviously should know that you did the work. Dont' let your accomplishments get lost in this guy's lies and need for attention.
    If you might be willing to,, you might even get some side work from your efforts, and respect from the community.
    Don't take it lying down.

14. Sounds like the monetary pay was partial or at a deep discount, the other part of the pay was for the owner/friend to promote the work of his craftsman/friend.

15. Here's where the ethical part comes in. I finished the car about 6 months ago. At a very prominent show RECENTLY, it was on display...labeled as a survivor!

yep, he's a liar.

What if the guy decides to sell the car and uses it's false "survivor" history to up the price? Wouldn't that be wrong?

yep, fraud.

16. txturbo

txturbo

Its wrong...I would point it out every chance I got. I helped a buddy out on his 66 Impala. He wanted a TPI motor in it. He set the motor and trans in the car and bolted it up. I did all the wiring, fuel lines, custom brackets etc. Spent a lot of time on it and didn't get a dime. Now when he goes someplace with it he claims he did all the work. I just don't work on other peoples stuff anymore. All it does is take time away from my own projects and I always get screwed somehow.

17. It seems the "double edge sword" of you creating great looking patina has fooled enough people that you should be proud! Sucks that you are not getting credit for the build. The first time is the hardest. After it happens to you several more times it gets easier to take. Trust me, I know. I can't count how many projects we have built at our shop over the years that have been "mislabeled" as the new owner's ideas/work. That is why we take as many in-progress build pics with our employees in them as we can. Good luck with this deal....Sorry to hear about your Mom.

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

A build-board should have been discussed and agreed upon before taking on the job as part of the deal. Why assume he'd give you credit for the work? Don't assume!

Now what you can do is put photos of your work, including this car up on your website to show potential customers what you are capable of. If your 'friend' sees it and freaks, let him. He created the lie, now he has to deal with it.

19. He's a liar, car is killer!

20. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

saw it parked there last Oct ......................

[​IMG]

21. My take on the subject,I have a friend that helped me on the Ranch Wagon almost from the beginning.

I always mention his name when I am asked questions concerning the car and give credit where credit is due!

Dave & I did the bulk of the work,but other guys were evolved.

Some people are egotist and if your friend insist on embellishing or shellacking the truth he ain't a friend.

If it were me I would confront him and tell him how you feel. HRP

22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

My personal experience...

You got paid... he is a douche.... If he wants to be a lil bitch about it and pass the car for something its not then its his lie and the karma fairy will visit him .... just sit back at watch... But for your personal business etc Id say to put the car as some of your work and put pictures up of the work you did to make it that way...

23. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

WTF would someone pass off a fresh build as a survivor in the first place? I never really did understand what the hell anyone gave a shit about a car that was built at a different period in time anyway. I mean really a rod is a rod is a rod whether it's 1953 or 2013. Not a fan of fake patina either. However the guy is still a douche and sorry about your mom.

24. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Actually, you're both kinda screwy.

1) He shouldn't lie about the car being 'old'.
    2) Unless it was part of your agreement, he doesn't owe you any 'credit' for having done the work.
    3) You're kinda lame making a car with fake patina anyway - isn't that a sort of lie, too?

25. the-rodster

the-rodster

Read my tagline....

Rich

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Have to admit, that's a pretty damn convincing fake, dust and all. But then the lame scarecrow gives it away. Nobody with a true survivor that cool would do something as dumb as that.

Darn shame it is faux because it does look like a killer car and a hell of a good job pulling it off. That car would be killer done up clean and fresh too and probably would have been easier work.

27. Moe

Moe

Well said chopolds... I have build several cars though out the years... To never be mentioned in magazine articles, in show displays or on the web. Your story is very common in all levels of the car world...From the drive-in to GNRS
    Document all work ... Take Photos!!!
    Remember ... There are craftsmen who's workmanship has built other men's reputations.

A point of view that sum believe ... If they paid for it, they built it... These men view the workmanship of others as the product of there own mental might.

They are often easly identified by there comments and airs of expertise.
    You don't want them as customers !!!!!

Quality work and integrity last much longer than hype.
    NEVER do work for advertisement... You will be advertising for more users!

Sorry dude... Been there done that... Know how you feel

28. I probably shouldn't say this, but if I understand the story correctly, the car was built not found as displayed at the show. I think I would mention to my "friend" that the car is not a survivor it is a built car. That is probably the unethical part in my mind.

As far as credit it is common for people to say that they built a car, when in fact they paid someone else to build the car. Is it right to do that? Well not in the strictest sense, but it is an accepted practice.

29. He owes/owed you for services rendered..apparently he fulfilled that obligation.
    Beyond that, it is his to do with, what he will..including embellishing on a story about the history of the car.
    His conscious allows him to lie, with no remorse.
    Sadly in this day, a man's word/integrity aren't high on the moral code.

30. ...that guy is no friend.