Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazyeyes, Jan 27, 2013.

1. brad chevy

brad chevy

Man don't screw up a good car,next you'll want to paint flat black,spider webs & dragons. If you are wanting to build something that would be a worthless eyesore go ahead.

2. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Do some research, as what you desire has been done before. There are many "original" survivors out there, having sold one last year, so one less, "if realized" otherwise, would not be a waste.

You do have to be serious about the limitations of yourself, and your vision, because your idea half-finished would truly be a waste. Most radical customs have started with much less of a car, and perhaps this would make a great trade for more pieces toward finishing what you want.

3. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

I vote do what you want.. You can borrow my sawzall if you want to

4. Heo2

Heo2

Since you asked ....Nothing its a 4 door
    for me they are parts cars

5. docmike

docmike

In northern Illinois that car is "cherry." I'd hate to see it cut up but it's your car, do as you please.

How about a psudo-moonshine runner? Leave the body almost stock with the rear of the car lowered just a couple of inches so it looks like it has a load of 'shine but build a full on, hot rodded flathead?

Doc

6. crazyeyes

crazyeyes
    from AZ

I totally love what was posted on all accounts...

Yeah, in the end I will just do what I want. I have a friend talking me into what I was planning to do before I actually started looking at it. He has his eyes on a 50 shoebox and is probably just trying to get my door tops and roof. I'm sure I just had a lapse in judgement. But what had given me that thought was that car in Grease with the flames on it that looked to be a cut off top.. I think it was a Merc. I still want to build my radical idea. Just never really seen someone do it, that I know of.

As you guys have said and as I get to digging into this car more. It is way to clean to cut up too much. One thing you dont see too often is a tall roof. I really want to drive this pig every day and without a top it just wont be possible. it will still get channeled and dropped though.

Who knows, maybe I can find another car with a banged up roof and use that as my abomination!

I would think I have the skills to pull it off, just not the time. I body dropped and bagged my old chevy in less than a month. But I wasnt working either.

Has anyone seen such a radical roadster before?

7. You used to see them all the time for sale at the big car shows.

A discussion of what is involved is probably in order. A rag top is all beefed up in the body supports as well as the chassis because the roof of a car is a structural part. You can get away with using a hard top chassis but you still need to beef it under the rockers and the door posts. A more door is more difficult because they are week in the door areas but it is not impossible.

A more door can be a beautiful custom if you go all out. The Swanks car club was started by a guy that took a brand new kiaser and built a custom from it. They still use a line drawing of the car for a logo. It was hard topped and the quarters were changed as well as being converted to a two door. lowered to the max, rolls and pleats as well as flawless paint.

With your more door you could leave it with 4 doors if you do your homework. Beef the hell out of the remaining body and chassis. You could even use side glass if you were so inclined, it would be like hard top glass. I would go with a carson style top so that when it was the bad weather time of the year you could throw the top in it. Carry a tonnue cover so if you get caught out in the rain you can button it up and then all that really gets wet is the driver.

If you are doing all that anyway there is no reason that you can't channel and section while you are at it. I would do one or the other and either would be mild. With a custom less is more. You can get your drop completely from suspension. For instance if you reverse your uprights that is good for 3-5" depending on how the upright is made. The rear can be done by dearching the springs, or blocks or even a Z in the chassis like they did at valley customs on occaision.

it is a major undertaking for sure but it is doable. If you do it you need to go all the way, don't half ass it or it will just be another junker being driven in the name of being a custom.

8. lawman

lawman

Pork, I think you have the right idea and plan. I would say that
    it would take a very skilled craftsman to pull that off though.
    Just my 2 cent's.

9. Unless your fab skills are top notch, you may just wind up with a cut apart car.

Clean up the body, get the drive train and mechanicals straightened out, drive it.

Bob

10. get it running while you read the HAMB for another year,,by then you will have been converted to make it right

11. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

Tall roofs are cool!!

Look at this one, I THINK that it looks good, damn the rest of them! ImageUploadedByTJJ1359920700.137078.jpg !

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. chubbie

chubbie

this old ford is to nice to use a sawzall!! use a 5" side grinder w/cutoff wheels, you have better controll

13. crazyeyes

crazyeyes
    from AZ

This isn't getting cut at all. Staying a tall roof, no chop either. I might do a channel depending on floor damage. I go to school and work full time so I don't have a lot of time to mess with it. Working on selling some things so I can get a drivetrain.

14. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

^^^^^