Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 buick brake light question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Still working on my 1956 buick station wagon.Got headlight now, and parking lights and turn signals but no brake lights.Had power up to the brake sending unit so i replaced the unit.I still have no brake lights.Can any one help? Thanks.Bruce.:cool:

2. is it the original harness? a kit? or are you wiring it from scratch?

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Good chance you have a problem in the turn signal switch as power to the brake lights goes through that switch.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. Did you jumper the switch to check function??

Cosmo

5. 55willys

55willys

Check that the bulbs and sockets work then work your way forward. I would suspect turn signal switch.

6. bruce you are going to have to chase the power through the system and see where it stops, if you have power to one side of the brake switch, then check to see that you have power to the other side, when the pedal is depressed. if you do trace that wire to where it plugs into the turn signal switch harness, [check that it is on both sides of plug] if it is getting to the turn signal switch, there could be a connection problem in the switch. since the power goes out the turn signal wires to the rear, [you said they work] that would eliminate a problem from there back. i have had turn signal switches corrode inside, some need to be taken apart, sometimes you can just keep working it back and forth, hoping the contactor cleans itself. Ted

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Jumper brake switch, if still no go, then turn signal switch no good.

8. so? what did you find?

9. 41super

41super

My 55 Buick brake lights only work when the ignition is on.

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

same on my 56

11. O.K guys i replaced the stop light switch on my1956 buick special station wagon.Still no brake lights. I checked for power at the switch.I have power on 1 termanial and i had some one push down on the brake pedal and no power on the other terminal. Now what lol.Thanks Bruce.

12. must be a bad switch. does it screw into the brake system and use brake fluid pressure or is it mechanical?

13. 55willys

55willys

Bypass the brake switch and connect the two wires together, this is like turning the switch on.

14. I did like you said 55 willys and the brake lights did come on .So now what?Thanks Bruce.

15. t.b.33 I just replaced the stop light switch, its brand new.It screwsin and works off the brake fluid.Thanks Bruce.

16. it must be bad or you do not have brake fluid pressure.

17. tb33 I bled it at the switch and i got fluid????? Thanks Bruce.

18. OK iwill return it and let you know what happens.Bruce.

19. Buickplanet

Buickplanet

Sorry to resurrect this old topic, but I’m having the same problem with my 56 Special. I Have never replaced the brake switch before. Can anyone tell me the steps I need to take to do this? Thanks in advance.

20. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

[​IMG]

Looks like you remove two wires from the brass studs, then grab it with something like channel locks and unscrew it.

Probably going to want to put a pan under it to catch any brake fluid that comes out.

Screw the new one in. Reattach the wires. Bleed the brakes.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve never rebled the brakes after replacing one of these switches; it’s right at the MC and it will “air bubble back”. Maybe it’s different on one under the floorboards.

David Gersic likes this.
  22. Buickplanet

Buickplanet

Thank you for the responses. I was mainly wondering if it could be done without bleeding the brakes. This switch itself is easily accessible. Thanks again guys.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If no 'channellock' pliers are available, there's a special socket that fits the pattern of 'grooves'. (mine's made by Snap-On)