Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Coupe - Original 1958 Body - Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54jalopy, Jan 17, 2013.

1. rare32

rare32

good the hear the history of the car...

did you get the floor in Ritchie?

2. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

Yeah..floor is in .....photos up tonight....

3. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

4. I think the tailights look great[​IMG]

5. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

Ok, here are the pics i promised a week ago. I have taken all the old wood out and cut rust out awhile ago. All the floor, roof, firewall and the back off the car have been steeled out. This week i finished off the floor, its all spot welded down all the area behind my seat is also done. I have made the trans cover its fitted. The bench seat took some thinking as i wanted to keep a bench with out a cut out. It doesn't slide or tilt..theres nowhere to go, pushin for room as i is. Body is channeled 4" I'm not a short guy but fit in there comfortably, as the seat is on a slight angle. I have a few more fabrication jobs left before i can pull the car down for paint. Of to VLV in 8 weeks, so want to be down by then. Come home and pull the car down. My goal is to have it on the road by june.

6. Like it a lot, but ya put the steering wheel in the wrong place!

7. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Hey looks great! Congrats love the stance.
    60 belair

8. olskl_dave

olskl_dave

[​IMG]

Great job on the steal out.

Regards Dave.....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. Looks good real nice body you started with are junk yards aint what they use to be

10. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

Yeah body was pretty good, they did a nice chop. I cut the usual rust rust out. I dont know about some of these replacement parts you can buy, they just dont fit! I had to pie cut some of the swage lines bend add metal. Nothing a bit of filler wont hide.

11. Hey Richie, you're doin' a great job. Can I have my dash back now?:rolleyes:

12. dlnqnt73

dlnqnt73

The fit out looks awesome in person. Lovin the seat you fabbed but the dash is still the best part

13. Like the new avatar Irish.

14. dlnqnt73

dlnqnt73

Heh heh yep another build coming out of the stable!!

15. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

There sure is a hot rod bug in perth( west aust) these boys got bit!

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

What a great thread. It is so cool to see a story like this....a car from California found in Australia and being restored after such a long time.

17. rare32

rare32

looking good !!

18. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

Have to make up cycle guard brackets this weekend.... Not looking forward to putting these on, but it is the Law here in Australia. No guards no rego! one of the few fabrication jobs I have left before I strip it down for inspection and start to paint......

19. Hahahaha... I thought that post with all the pics and explanations was way too coherent for you. ;)

Looking good, mate.

20. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

Hey Mate grandads old rambler flys!! if all goes well finished by the end of the year...I juz keep getting side tracked...A new roadster body 2 months ago - Rustys 56 coupe deville at my place..did some work on my 54 Caddy.....and we are putting Rusty and the Dragstrip Trio Back together - gotta learn to play bass again! umm how many hours in the day are there??

21. fleet-master

fleet-master

your car looks great 54jalopy!! the dash is cool too. The project I'm working on is getting a 59 Dodge Custom Royal dash and steering wheel,quite different to the royal model.
    I'm curious to know what steering column you've used ,as I've cut up an HZ Holden collapsible one for mine ..but its a bit of a job!!

22. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

Hey Buddy...I used the Chrysler Royal wheel and colom. cut it down, got uni joins going down to a HQ steering box. Looks pretty good, its nice and straight The biggest job was making the dash fit..that did my head in!

23. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

24. fleet-master

fleet-master

sounds like good way to do it. The Chrysler spline is bigger than the Holden/Chev. I didn't have a Chrysler column tho, but had a few Chev ones. It'll work good but more work than yours to make it look the part

25. brady1929

brady1929

26. 54sled

54sled

Very cool car,neat history!

27. 54jalopy

54jalopy
    from Australia

Thanks for comments guys back onto it this weekend, will puy pics up this weekend.

28. This car is DONE. Look out for it in the next issue of Street Machine Hot Rod. :) _MG_1263.JPG

29. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

54jalopy, nice coupe, love the dash.

30. Nice work, great hotrod!