Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac engine # look up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RED-EYE-KUSTOMS, Jan 28, 2013.

1. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

Would like to know if anyone knows of a site that you can look up Cadillac engine #'s to see what year car they came out of. I have decided to ditch the 350 for my coupe build and go with a 390 Cadillac. I have read that there were two different 390's produced one being a little less desirable. Also wondering if this is true about the later 390 being less desirable what the reasoning is behind it? I have read on here a little about the Cadillac engines but do not remember seeing any info on the less desirable part. Thank you for any info that you might be able to provide.
    Bryan

2. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

The 390 was offerered from 1959 to 1963. Lots of revisions were made for the final year (1963), the most obvious being the distributor moved to the front of the motor. This version may be considered less desirable because it was a one year only deal. However, I've heard that cylinder heads from '64-'67 429's will work on the '63 390. that might give you more options if you end up with a bad cylinder head (cracked, for example).

I've got a book with lots of data on overhead valve V-8's (up to 1974). You can PM me with numbers when you get to that point and I'll try to help.

Also, I know there are Cadillac forum sites out there, I just don't know their names. Sorry.

Good luck, Ron.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This is the right place for Early caddy stuff. The 63 390's were fine engines, Theyre just not as pretty (to me) in an early car because of the valve covers and stuff. For the classic Hot Rod Cadillac engine you really want 62 or earlier. As said put up the numbers and someone can figure it out.

63 390:

[​IMG]

Earlier 390:

[​IMG]

4. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Subscribed. Definitely good nformation out there, always nice to hear what others think.

5. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

I got a book, what are the numbers?

6. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

Thanks for the info and pics. Dreddy Bear you are definately right about the look. I dont think I have the heart to do that to my hot rod! By the pics posted the one I came across appears to be the later but here is the number that was posted with the add....36K35691 or the 2nd # might be an 8. It was kind of hard to read.
    Thanx again,
    Bryan

7. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

Where did you get those #'s? They don't match my book.
    They should be on the back of the block if I remember correctly.?.

8. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

I'll check my book when I get off work. That looks like a stamped number, part of which might be the engine code. If I remember right, Caddy only had one horsepower rating in '63 at 325hp? (I think)

9. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

I'll have to get with the seller. Not sure where he got the #'s from. It was a picture that he had posted in the add with the other pics of the engine.
    Thanks again for all the info.
    Bryan

10. roughneck424

roughneck424

11. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

My book doesn't go into great detail on what ALL the numbers mean, but that number appears to be an engine unit number (EUN). The beginning "3" stands for 1963 and the "K" indicates air conditioning. "X" would be non A/C. They used "X" and "K" from '57 to '63. All '61-'63 390's were rated at 325hp@4,800 and 430ft.lb.@3,100. They were advertised at 10.5:1 compression.

12. RED-EYE-KUSTOMS

RED-EYE-KUSTOMS
    from CA

Thanx for the great info Roughneck424 and 54nomore. I have a little better idea now what I'm looking at and will keep reading.
    Thanx, Bryan