Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does this gauge setup look stupid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Jan 28, 2013.

1. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Ok I've been racking my brain over this cluster I built for my 58 chevy truck. It has a 55 olds dash. Nothing worked except the fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge was sketchy. So decided to do away with the speedo cause I never had on that worked anyhow. I can do without one. It's a simple cluster just to get the job done . The truck is bagged so the bottom two are air pressure gauges. There's one thing I can't stand are gauges hanging for the bottom of the dash. I'm going to mount the fuel gauge in the stock radio location.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1359411223.818146.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1359411243.965331.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I dont mind it... I think when its in and steering wheel is there, it will look fine.

3. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

It's your car, but I'm not feelin it.

4. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

No I ain't digging it either but I do think it would look better if the 2 white gauges were on top and the 3 black on the bottom. Maybe try turning it and see what we think....

5. tedster

tedster

Your truck is so damn cool I hate to see you put the gauges in it as I do not think they are the right way to go.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't spin my wheels but it isn't my truck either. You are the one who has to look at it every time you drive the truck. 60mher a speedometer or a tach marked so that you can tell certain speeds when you are going down the road = 2200 rpm in top gear = 60mph kind of thing.

7. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

It's the mismatched Gauges that bother me. The placement in the dash looks great.

8. maybe put the air pressure gauges at 3 and 10 o clock and see how it looks. I think they would look great if they were all white faced gauges. esp if you painted the plate that holds them your body color and had all white faced.

9. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Thanks for the input guys. I can always go back to all the stock stuff. But since the P/O shaved the glove box door I'm limited on mounting locations. Guess ill have a beer and stare at it some more.

10. Rob68

Rob68

I agree with post #8-paint the backing plate the body color. It's nice work, you should be proud of that.

11. n847

n847

Stupid...No...Akward...Yes! I agree if the bag gauges were black it would be a lot better. Maybe throw it in the dash and take another look at it? Stock gauges would be a major improvememt though. As for gauges under the dash could you make a fold down face plate? I don't usually like that either because I usually care more about what it looks like when I'm driving it...but my cars a beater and alot more people are looking at yours than mine!

12. It would look better if all the gauges matched,,possibly pull the pressure gauges apart and paint them black,,or the other way around. HRP

13. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Nice work dont make it right. Put the stock stuff backin the panel

14. D-man313

D-man313

The setup looks great, but would look better if all the gauges matched, maybe with a older style gauge.

15. Moedog07

Moedog07

Can we get a picture of it mounted in the dash for a better reference?

16. hippy killer

hippy killer

thats the ticket

17. jimstro16

jimstro16

Not diggin it but I'm sure I've done worse

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I agree that you could maybe mess with how they are laid out to deal with the slight awkwardness of the gauges not all being the same BUT

the biggest thing and honestly the only thing that i noticed really until reading the other comments was the backing surface.

before i clicked on the thumb nails it almost made your gauges read as the drag car looking auto meter that make me cringe every time i see one mounted in something done other wise 'old style' such a contemporary looking gauge. yikes.

anyways, i think its the flat grey backing that made it feel/read that way to me. I think what i would do and what would improve it a ton is to take the panel out and engine turn it. that way the texture that made me read them as gross gauges is gone AND it will blend in with the textures of your existing dash and this not stick out for scrutiny near as much.

just thinking outloud. maybe some one can photo shop the engine turning onto the panel to see what it does?

19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I don't know how to comment since seating position an steering wheel blocking areas are crucial to the overall design... It would seem hard to read all the gauges easily

20. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

I agree...I can't do mismatched gauges. It would drive me crazy...(OCD).

21. they look dog sh*t, change em... unless you are truly happy with them

22. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

The Rotisserie of gauges isn't my bag, but you definitely need to get all the faces to match each other, color/pointers, and lose the Chinese ones.

23. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Nice truck man. I think in this case less is more. But its your ride.

24. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

yes it does...

25. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about have a company like Classic redo the Olds units; so it looks like it would have back then, and put the air gages in the glove box or somewhere else out of sight?

26. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I like it,just not feeling the mismatched gauges...

27. I just think all black or all white.

28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sorry, not liking it.

29. beauishere

beauishere

I think this could look great with different gauges. They should match and be somewhat period correct since you've gone to the trouble of using a old style panel. But...

How do you do all this work and ditch the speedometer? No one can ''do without'' one with all the new camera speed traps going up out there. School zones will get you every time. You need to know how fast you're going.

But to your original question, I don't think it looks stupid, just not done yet. Good luck.

30. yes so let me save you and mail it to me and I will use it in somthing Lol looks good