Register now to get rid of these ads!

West Coast Kustoms Rep Passed away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ritpichette, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Long time West Coast Kustoms Orange County Rep
    BILL PAPKE of Papke Enterprises passed away this morning of cancer
    He was a great friend and he will be dearly missed.

2. <TABLE id=post8562241 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>dpapke<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8562241", true); </SCRIPT>
    FNG

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_8562241 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Papke Enterprise
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->My father Bill Papke passed away this morning @ 4:40. He will truly be missed
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3. Bill Papke was cool people. He's cruising the streets of gold now.

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

just talked to him a little over a week ago, sounded pretty good over the phone, but heard he wasn't doing well. my condolences to the family

5. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Bill was a great guy, I really enjoyed the times we talked at the Toy Shows and Swaps, He will be greatly missed,

My condolences to the Family..

6. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

RIP Bill. My cars are wearing a few parts from him. Our thoughts are with his family.

7. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Always had the parts I needed. His shop was a museum. Condolences to his family.

8. Thoughts, prayers and condolences to all!

9. I was friends with Bill for over 20yrs. he really new Mercurys....but he was a shrewrd salesman! I helped him sell lots of his stuff,cause he wasn't computer saavy. Gonna miss arguing with him over parts,haha.

PLEASE post any funeral info,if you hear anything...

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

My condolences.
    I recall a Papke Co. in San Diego (ElCajon?) years ago (80's or 90's?) that was a manufacturer of fiberglass parts for buggies, such as seats, etc. They closed years ago. Wonder if that was his gig?

11. Sad, I bought parts from him over the last couple of years. He grew up in Chicago and moved out to CA 30-40 years ago. RIP.

12. sololobo

sololobo

R.I.P Bill, I didn't know him personally, but a couple friends said he was a super sharp, very nice guy. You will be missed sir. ~sololobo~

13. Bill Papke Memorial
    Saturday Feb 9th
    Huntington Central Park
    Huntington Beach, Ca. 92647
    12 Noon to 4pm

Attached Files:

14. billys54

billys54

15. Sad to hear it. RIP. We often visited a bit ever year at Paso/Santa Maria. He was a good guy and will be missed.

16. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Bill , was a good guy, direct and to the point business man if he didn't know you or didnt liked you. He loved to joke and tell stories. Spent many days working with him and drinking budwisers at his shop and giving him rides home when he didnt have his toyota .He knew his stuff and had a passion for Mercs and shoeboxes. He will be missed.

17. roxndoxn

roxndoxn

I was hoping you would know about a funeral since you have known him for so long. I know someone posted about memorial but is this something his family is doing or just some friends?? I have bought some parts from him over the years and my buddy lives down there. I was thinking of coming just out of respect, but if his family isn't doing anything there must be some reason? Maybe you could shed some light on it.

-W

18. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

The traditional custom scene almost died in the eighties and early nineties, Bill was encencial in keeping it going by supplying parts for 49 to 51 ford and merc parts.
    In those days , with the exception of rubber parts, very few reproduction parts were available, but Bill was always well stocked of pretty much anything you could need for a shoebox or merc. I would supply him with 4 door cars which he would later carve up as parts cars. Bill was very picky aboat the quality of his parts, many atime he would send me back home with the stuff if it was too rusty or pittted.
    For years he shared his swapp spaces at pomona with me and Penny, we would help each other out, he also had a huge collection of rare custom parts and always had a dozen of good running flatheads with all the goodies bolted on them .
    One of my favorite things he had in his shop was his huge collection of model cars and dioramas and I always remember the little sign he had in the shop " this is not a museum , everything is for sale" and would scold me for being a horder.
    He also supplied alot of movie studios with cars, I remember he told me they used 11 mercs to make the movie of cobra, and latley he told me he had the merc they used in the movie Grease. I learned alot from Bill and will miss his sence of humor and the sly grin he would give you, when you handed him a beer, boy he loved his beer, everytime I ran into him ,the first thing he would utter was " so where's the beers!"
    Cruize forever Bill, your friend Miguel is gonna miss you.

19. Bummer. Rest in peace...

20. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

I haven't heard anything besides the car show memorial that Mackey is doing in Huntington Beach. As for family I'm not sure if it is private or not. No obituary has been posted yet in the local newspaper or online. Bill lived in fountain valley not to far from his shop.

21. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Guys on feb 9 raise a can a beer for Bill and enjoy it as much as he would.

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Never met him, but sounds like he was a good man in my book. Rest in peace Bill.

23. jlozanojr

jlozanojr
    from San Diego

RIP Bill. He was a great guy. Bought a ton of parts from him when I was getting started. The 51 Merc Im currently building I bought from his shop.

24. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

I went to his shop just a few days before he passed. Very impressive!

My condolences

25. Greasemachine

Greasemachine
    from San Diego

Here are some pics

Attached Files:

26. Funny story....
    I was at a swapmeet looking for some parts for a Merc. I saw this "PERFECT" hood ornament. It said $10. I reached down and grabbed it and he says "i'll give you $20!". I looked at him and said $25...he tells the guy "let him have it,haha". I looked at him and said "thanks fucker,you just cost me and extra $15!" He laughed...We have been friends ever since. Gonna hate not going to his shop and hanging around.

BTW-I tried buying his diecast collection many times...he just kept saying "not yet!"

27. dpapke

dpapke

My father was very firm that he did not want to have a service. I don't need him haunting me. So whats the best next thing, yes a car show, BBQ, Music and lots of memories. We would love for you all to come join us on Feb 9th. My father had sooooo many friends in the hobby, that its impossible to let everyone know. So if you could get the word out, I would be so grateful. Hope to see you all there ( and it would make my father smile down to us as well ).

28. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Will do, he always had a great out look on life.