Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newb With an impluse buy...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BassAxeWorks, Jan 28, 2013.

1. swazzie

swazzie

HAHA YAHHH!!!! Then paint in flat black and load it with mexican blankets !!!

2. Luke4554

Luke4554

Agreed.. id even go out of the box farther and say to do it in that peachy orange color the pinstripe is done in.

In anycase i would just drive it. For $4500 its a respectable daily driver .. worst mistake i made with mine was taking it under the knife the second day it was in my garage. The last 7 months there hasnt been a day go by i didnt wish i had more patience with my project and would have just fixed the immediate problems (brakes, gas line) ect and driven it around and enjoyed it in all its glory .. be it good or bad as it was. Just remember you have nothing but time to make it your own and perfect it.. theres no reason not to enjoy your purchase for awhile while you build up a game plan for it.

Congrats. Nothing feels better than purchasing a new project car .. especially if its one you plan on holding onto and passing down at some point.

Luke :cool:

3. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

Spyder that wouldnt be half bad. I have paint experience but no place to do it here in Tx like I did in Colorado. Its a bit sketchy trying to do a garage paint here with the humidity. I had my other garage set up for it in Colorado.

4. Cut the roof off and make a roadster, hmmm, bad idea unless you really are a experienced car builder. Here try this experiment,

Open a book and imagine this is your new pride and joy as you could be driving it.

Now close the book, this is your car after you cut the roof off and make it into a roadster.

5. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

Thats where I am at is just gonna roll it and enjoy it for now. I know how to work on things they took my other post down but I have restored.

a 67 monterey fast back
    72 Gto Clone
    66 Cutlass
    and a 70 mach 1 (rotisierre)

When I said newb I didnt mean i just walked out and decided i was gonna stab in the dark. I have done cars, bikes, atv's, boats, and snowmobiles.

I currently restore and resell guitars for a living. If I cant mess with it or mod it I dont usually have it lol

The roadster thing was a tongue in cheek comment. I have redone roof's before and know they are a pain and this one is twice the size I normally deal with. But I think it can be done and if and when it comes to it i will do it right.

As for the color something about the simplicity of it really appealed to me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

fix it while you drive it

7. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

Thats the plan

8. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

I am thinkin you may have actually got my sarcasm or at least stabbed with some back.. Now this is more more my style lol

9. I'm also from Colorado, Texas humidity takes a minute to get used to. But this is a damn nice time of year right now.

10. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

Thats no joke wife is military I was DOD and now am self employed. We are east coast transplants lol.

11. "Smoothed cowl"......... I hope that wasn't the only way to stop the water from running through the rust holes. Good luck,...... don't think I'd spend that much on an old unibody car without looking under it.

12. rustrustler

rustrustler

I have a problem like that with one of my cars also. In my case there must have been dust or moisture under the topcoat. Every year they get a little bigger. I believe it to be poor adhesion and the heat of the sun makes it bubble a little bigger. I looked where I had a bubble crack and there was no rust under it. I just drive the wheels off of it and will take care of the problem when I get tired of driving it. Mike.

13. 62131

from glasgow,ky

Enjoy nice score Have fun in it

14. lizzie

lizzie

I am insanely jealous of you right now. I want a wagon :(

Have fun with her!

15. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Sell it to lizzie.

16. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Texas ? I think you could get away with these wheels.:DThey are aluminum cast in Finland.lol Bill aka Tnomoldw ,
    Well, you call that a paint job but it’s pretty ugly. I’ll betcha you gotta sneak up on the pumps just to get a little air in your tires:eek: Have fun, I do.

Attached Files:

17. I'd be looking at a few things. First, where was the car built (Serial number will tell quickly)? If it wasn't south all it's life, REALLY consider/look close.

Why are there no engine pics?? It sounds like a total stocker, so does that mean 144/auto?? BTW, this automatic does not "go through the gears" it only has TWO. Lo and Hi. Good, reliable engine, but the 144 does have power issues. The 170 (mine) is fine.

"Smoothed cowl" How do you plan on heating/cooling the inside?? Where does he think the air comes from for HVAC?? Recycled air doesn't work well in most cases. And this very fact makes me think there is massive rust on this car. Check the rockers close. There should be drain holes, I can get you pics of mine. My rust-free original rockers.

Oh, yeah, the horn ring. I'd fix that before his very eyes. Probably just to point out he is a moron for installing it that way. Not like it's hard to put on correctly. Yet, that, too, points out the need to inspect this one closely. If you can't be arsed to install that obvious of a part correctly, what else did you do wrong/improper/hastily.

Great cars, I love 'em, but I wouldn't want a rusty one.

Cosmo

18. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

I had pics of the motor its not the stock it was swapped at somepoint for the drive line from the bigger 6

Those that have sold on ebay have to know that ebay limits the number of pics. He sent them to me via email as soon as I asked. Its a clean compartment.

I dont know if some of you only expect to see perfect cars to start with or what but I guess I am not seeing where this was awful for a driveable project. Some of you remind me of fly fisherman where if it aint perfect and purist its all wrong.

I dont mind hearing suggestions and what to look for but damn talk about pissin in the pool..maybe this just isnt where I need to be posting.

:eek:

19. Dude. Relax.

20. docmike

docmike

Spend a few bucks for a pair of Moon discs to hide those front wheels and have some fun driving it before you decide whether you want to invest more time and money into this project.

Doc

21. ShastaStyle

ShastaStyle
    from Nor-Cal

Congrats, don't mind all these dick heads pissin on your Wheaties...looks like a cool cruisable ride to me. Slap some steel wheels and you'll be rolling in style. =)

22. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

I was watching that auction. I was hoping that it was going to stay under $2000. I have been looking for a decent wagon for cheap.

CN

23. wandi harry

wandi harry

It is a cool looking ride which l bet will be a lot of fun.
    What some of the fellas are saying is just be aware that you may have a few issues down the track . My brother brought a studie online of some prick meant to be very little rust . The car will probably never see the road again due to the rust issues around the roof.
    Make the most of it ,at least you have something to cruise in.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you go back to your very first post on this thread you said " What do ya think?" You can't post something like that and then expect to only hear flowery compliments, you are going to also hear about any other issues we might see. We would be doing you a disservice if we didn't mention that you should check out the body for rust issues, or anything else that might bite you in the butt.

I know you are proud of your new acquisition, we just want you to go in with your head, not just your heart.:)

Don

25. txturbo

txturbo

I do it all the time....works pretty well with a turbine HVLP system and you don't even need a booth. I paint outside in the driveway.

26. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

I shoulda clarified no place to do it because of home nazi association. Got reemed for doing it here once lol

27. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

Totally follow ya don like I said I had my post with what I have restored deleted by jalopy journal for being off topic. I know what to look for and am not afraid of a project. I know it was a bit higher on price but sometimes ya just find one ya want. if its hammered I havent spent a penny. I have the option to not pay if ya follow me.

I think it was hearing it 15 ways over and over with nothin positive kinda was a kick in the stomach lol

28. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

29. [QUOTE

I think it was hearing it 15 ways over and over with nothin positive kinda was a kick in the stomach lol[/QUOTE]

Wasn't trying to kick you in the nuts. YOU ASKED! Some of us have been burned, and a few of us have made a great deal of money restoring cars after someone buries themselves in a car they didn't look at in person.
    I hope it works out great for you. But I see some bad signs.
    You should see the "driver" T bird in my shop right now. The owner really wishes he'd taken a better look. The "deal" he got didn't work out so good. For him.......

30. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

Wasn't trying to kick you in the nuts. YOU ASKED! Some of us have been burned, and a few of us have made a great deal of money restoring cars after someone buries themselves in a car they didn't look at in person.
    I hope it works out great for you. But I see some bad signs.
    You should see the "driver" T bird in my shop right now. The owner really wishes he'd taken a better look. The "deal" he got didn't work out so good. For him.......[/QUOTE]

I totally get this, I am paying for this car in person and have an agreement to duck if its not okay. I know what to look for in person. I think that point was lost when my post about my other restos came down. I am not some rube with stars in his eyes on it I promise.

I have done everything from mild flips to drags cars to full on rotis restorations over the years. If I get there and things dont look workable or its loaded with glass they guy is aware he is keeping it.

He said he himself was a builder and flipper but with a recent family loss is looking to move this and a bunch of other long term projects he had. He seemed to be knowledgable and is willing to do a full on walk around video with a magnet for me as well as some mild checking on those drip edges that I asked for.

I appreciate the heads up and what to look out for I truly do; but also wish I could get the point across that I am not going into it blind lol

Also as to the vagueness of the sale ad. I talked to the owner one of his workers did the ad on the fly and obviously did a crap job on it. The owner is aware of this and was very apologetic for it. He on the phone has answered every question I had and is doing everything I ask. He is a commercial contractor and was calling from out of state but will be there to meet me when I go pick it up next week. I am apprehensive but what do I have to lose other than a 4 hour drive that ill turn into a nice weekend trip for the family?