Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newb With an impluse buy...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BassAxeWorks, Jan 28, 2013.

1. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

Hi all stumbled on the site while searching for motorswap information. New-b here with an impulse buy.

So for some reason I fell in love with this UGLY old machine. I am going to do a few hotrod upgrades and then rock it for a while and prob flip or trade it for something else as I never seem to keep anything.

The idea is to have something fun and unique to cruise in that is a bit better on gas than my truck was. I think I made a good choice here as itll fit the car seats well, itll make one hell of a beach cruiser this summer, and well its just so ugly i love it lol

What do ya think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wagon-/281051908296?_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_629wt_724

Itll get tint and vintage air fairly fast...the wheels will be after that and then MAYBE a motor swap if I keep it long term. If nothing itll be a fun impulse buy....

2. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

and made newb mistake number one double posted as I missed the intro section.

3. skull

skull

nice, but them wheels gootttaaa go:eek:

always been partial to wagons, had a 1968 monoco with a 383 and 165 chevelle wagon.

Later :cool:

4. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

good score, thats a pretty rare wagon you got there. Slam it on some steel wheels and cruise :)

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

As others have said, those wheels have got to go. Looks like a decent car, but those shots of the bubbles in the paint are a concern, especially those pics of the drip rails. You may be in for a load of body work and rust abatement if you want the car to continue looking good...

6. desotot

desotot

It's really not that ugly, but I could never quite figure out why somebody would go through a lot of work to paint any car the colour of pavement.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, those wheels are REALLY bad, but what would concern me is what is under the paint. Look at the bubbles where there is rust along the roof line. In a year I bet that body is showing a lot of more of those. I would also be worried about how the bodywork was done, and I bet a ton of filler was used to do the smoothing.

I would want to run over that car with a magnet and a fine tooth comb before I laid out the money for it.

Don

These would be very hard to repair correctly and there are lots of them......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  8. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm thinking thats not gonna buff out

9. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Good looking wagon.

10. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

I like it. Change out thse wheels like evryone said and enjoy.

11. txturbo

txturbo

Better flip it fast.....I had a Suburban with a roof like that....it blew off one day in a 45mph crosswind :eek:

12. Moedog07

Moedog07

Change the 90's 6 cyl Mustang wheels and ride till the bubbles pop...

13. farmer12

farmer12

Like the others said, lose the wheels and I would start sanding to find out what is underneath. Once all is fixed, you'll have a great cruiser. Good luck!

14. tjmercury

tjmercury

What's so ugly about it!?!?.... other than those gawd-awful wheels. All I can say is start sanding!

15. Tomkat39

Tomkat39

Great looking wagon, there are a few on here. My album's show my 60.
    I was watching this on Ebay also.
    Tom

Attached Files:

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Just drive it. Screw the bubbles, have fun with it!! At $4500, you did REAL well. Congrats! If you start messing with the bubbles and paint, suddenly you cruise time with the family will be zero, and your costs will skyrocket. Just enjoy it, That's my advice, for what it's worth.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  17. lawman

lawman

Nice wagon !!! Welcome to the HAMB Guy.

18. Don't anyone show him the secret handshake until he get's rid of those *&&^%$# wheels!!

19. Cool little wagon,,yeah there are a few problems but you got bang for your buck,,,get some decent rims and it will look 100% better. HRP

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

I agree with Don... I think that rust is gonna bite you in the tail end!!!

21. 16,759 were built with two-too-many doors
    2,121 of the two door wagons were built, that is the rare one.......

22. spooler41

spooler41

Well the drip rail bubbles look more like seam sealer, than a rust problem. Although you
    never know what you will find under it. Have fun with it and enjoy it before you get too deep in to making a lot of changes to it.

...................Jack

23. nice wagon. but as many already said them wheels gotta go. otherwise great wagon

24. khead47

khead47

I had a 1966 F150 with similar rust issues at the drip rails. One day on I-75 at 70 mph the roof opened up over the windshield about 4". Had to drive by braille for a while before I could blink the rust outta my eyes! No fun at all.

25. hippy killer

hippy killer

that roof could be ugly!! but not as much as the wheels

26. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

Hey guys YES the wheels SUCCCCCCKKKKKKK I KNOW LOL.

The roof line is a poorly done seam sealer I asked and checked into it before bidding. IF its not and its all rust he can keep it ill find something else.

I am not a total newb at this stuff but im told the guy if it was loaded with glass and rust I wasnt gonna take it and he acknowledged it. Time will tell trying to get set up to take a look at it.

FWIW I had a 67 monterey that the seam sealer edges looked the same

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If that is "seam sealer" it must have been applied by Stevie Wonder and a shovel. :rolleyes: I lived up North most of my life and it sure looks like rust bubbles to me. Take a magnet with you when you go to get it, especially around the bottom of the car and around those faired in tail lights.

Don

28. Thats either a" headliner hotel "full of mice or a car from Florida or some coastal city......

29. BassAxeWorks

BassAxeWorks
    from Texas

Well I have yet to even hear from the seller so here we wait anyway.

And if I decide to take it and if the roof goes south ill cut it of and make a roadster of some sort out of her

30. Worst idea ever for a roadster. It does look like a good excuse to get metal flake roof. Take all the paint and seem sealer off, por15, skim with bondo, sand, metal flake, alll gooood.