Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures How can Steve Bolander afford a 1958 Impala custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzfidelity, Nov 23, 2011.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all I know is being a bald actor must suck, everytime you turn around there is another photo of you with hair.

[​IMG]

2. Ralph

Ralph

Best answer yet! Completely plausible, too, with the possible exception of Falfa's brother's name - Al Falfa! Poor guy. No wonder he turned to crime.
    Ralph

3. because the prop guys and lucas wanted one in the film,and it was their money....

4. models916

models916

My Senior year in HS (1969) I bought a new Nova SS. Payments were cheap, I worked part time at Shoppers City. The car and gas was my only expense. Lived at home free if I took my mom to work in the morning.

5. livinlow

livinlow

i'm in my junior year of highschool right now. i worked all last summer to buy a car. ended up buying a '77 ford f150 for $700. ( i know thats not cool at all but hey, it's something. ) but on the "cool" side of the coin, i also have a '61 impala. 283 4 bbl 3 speed, more door hardtop, two tone black n white with red interior. i got chrome steelies for it too (don't have money to mount them yet). and how i have that is through years of trading and getting very lucky. i got my first car from my grandpa, a '53 chevy 2 dr hardtop shell, and i just started trading up. i've gone through about 7 or 8 cars now and i'm not even legal to own one yet. all i'm saying is that it is definitely possible, even today.

6. Uh its a movie? Give me a brake.

But in answer to your question in my high school parking lot there were some pretty sweet cars. most of the Sosch kids got new cars for early graduation presents their junior year.

7. Have we missed the other point here that Steves girlfriend had a cherry Edsel and here brother drove a shit box Citreon. JW

8. Erwin

Erwin

What would you have to give for a good '58 Impala in '61-'62?

9. jesse1980

jesse1980

He saved and bought it like that. That car would have cost 6 to 800 back then.

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I thought this tread was dead. It's a movie, get over it.

11. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Really cars often got customized when they were pretty new back in the '50's....

Toad's '58 lives on in Eastern Washington - It was bought for $285 in 1972 before the movie was released - so the 17 year old senior that bought it had a surprise when the movie came out....

http://www.cartechbooks.com/featuredcar/graffitiimpala/

;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  12. Up in Iowa many farmers bought their kids new, the latest, cars soon as they were sixteen or for graduation. None of 'em are still into rods and muscle like us poor city folk still are!

13. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Movie stuff and being an old thread aside.....I bought a 68 Mustang in 1975 for $125 (paper route money) when I was a HS Freshman, and a 66 Nova Super Sport in 1977 (Junior Year) for $475 that I borrowed from my uncle and paid back that summer from my tire & muffler shop job so it's plausible for the movie guy to own that Impala.......

Al in TN

14. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Same way the kids my age are driving brand new imports like Audi's and Honda's. Their rich parents set them up.

15. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

lotta guys had 58 impalas in 62. and also in 58. same deal from the parents. one guy had the whole enchilada of xtras even the air bag suspension!

16. Thumper

Thumper

Are we still on this shit ?..LOL

17. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 4 year old Impala doesn't seem out of line for a teenager in 62. There were lots of them around and not that well thought of in my crowd. My first new car was in late 58 not long after I turned 16. I had been working on a 40 sedan for a year and used it as a down payment. Was a 1/2 ton big back window Chevy PU with fleetsides. Custom cab with all options available. On top of that the dealer had duals installed and a bed tarp. The whole deal came to around $1600 dollars and I financed it. Had to have a cosigner but the payments were something in the 40's a month. Working in a gas station brought you a buck an hour. Side jobs in evenings and weekends made a little more. It was a different time, and better in MHO.

18. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

19. Hell in 1972 I bought a 58 chevy biscayne V-8 carfor $65. And it was a 1 owner...any kid with his shit together coulda done it

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

My senior year in high school, fall of '59, I was still riding my Schwinn, but a kid in my class whose old man ran a big Angus beef breeding farm, showed up for senior year with a '57 Ford retractable hardtop convertible. And I was in a small town in upstate NY, pop 1200, lot smaller than "Steve" lived in. Way the world works, eh?

21. ken1939

ken1939

But he went upstairs one day and never came back down.. Foul play? :eek: or a $500,000 insurance policy.

22. when i was a high schooler i was stuck working on our farm for free[own it now] so had no money my folks bought me a 54 chev smashed front and later a ford 1957 custom 300 223 that had the rods out so i had to get creative and fix stuff till it run, i rember punching holes in the gas tanks of my junkers and cutting the gas with used oil

yet i was one of the few with a car 62 to 1965 and my friends in the country would tell me to drive over by this fence and they would start slinging 5 gal gas cas over that they had took from thier parents on the farm so we did get to drive but sure never had spending money like they did in that movie

first decent car i had was a 68 impala out of showroom after nam saved 1/2 of my nam pay which was $1500 and pop donated another 1500 to pay for it , at least i was old enough to appreciate it and did not tear it up:D

and on hotrods and customs never had anything until 6 years ago and selling off farm equip and shop equipment
    but after waiting 50 years to fufill the dream i have made up for it with a vengence and hada lot of fun that waws woth waiting for

23. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I bought a new 1967 Nova SS when I was a senior in high school. I worked a bunch of hours for it

24. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

maybe I should have also asked how 3 hoods could afford to customize their merc when they had to rob the local penny arcades for gas money..

25. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

High school parking lots have been full of 4-year old Chevrolet cars since the '20s.

Would it really be that weird to see an '09 Impala with cheap cosmetic mods in a school lot?

[​IMG]

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Any guesses how Suzanne Somers got the T-Bird? :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

easy, hes pimping the babe in the T-bird. I thought EVERYONE knew that...:rolleyes:

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So that's why he didn't turn the corner, he knew Curt was broke. It all makes sense now.

29. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

come on guys are'nt we reaching a little deep on this one

30. zep058

zep058

Wow eight pages discussing how a movie character could afford a car..in a movie.