Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willowbilly3, Jan 25, 2013.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

My first time this year, what to expect? Can you just show up with a tent and find a place to pitch it? Any camping on the salt or do you have to clear out at night?

2. Bend in the road.

3. No one on the salt at night but there is camping for free just up the road at "the Bend"

4. The search function is your friend.

5. firingorder1

firingorder1

No camping on the salt. BLM rules not SCTA. There is free camping at the "Bend". No need to describe where it is. You'll see it when you get there. Also free camping at the site of the future museum. Handy if the weather turns nasty>

6. aircap

aircap

Best places for answers is landracing.com - the place for all things land speed racing on the net.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No facilities at the bend in the road except a few rather rank outhouses. The truck stop at the Bonneville exit did and most likely still does have showers for a few bucks. There is a KOA in town but it books up as fast as the motels.
    If you want to watch the record runs being made you have to bail out of the tent as soon as you hear cars start going by headed to the salt in the morning. That's how you also get those great sunrise on the salt flats photos.

Figure out where the pathways are in the camp area and pitch your tent (if you have a tent) out of the way so it and or you don't get run over as it can get a bit crazy there on the first weekend.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

been here a long time not to take the time to do a long search here for the answers you are looking for. great that you are finally going to get there

9. aojo

aojo

Be sure to take a ground cloth and a couple of tarps to be prepared for wet weather. Last year there were a couple of days of rain and the bend sits low and it looked pretty dicey around the motor homes and tents.

10. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I've been meaning to ask a few questions that I've not been able to find answered otherwise. Is there a convenient dump station nearby? How about water to refill my camper's tank? Is it safe to leave a vehicle/camper at the "Bend in the Road" during the day? Are campfires allowed? What are the overnight temperatures?

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

The outhouses are supplied courtesy of the owner of landracing.com. They are cleaned every day. They don't have gold plated fitting but to use the words "rather rank" is a total misdescription. If my wife can use one and not be disgusted then they have to be pretty clean.

12. firingorder1

firingorder1

When I take my ancient RV I use the KOA dump station as its the only one I know of. You can also refill your water tank. Its safe to leave your camper at the Bend. Lock it and don't worry. I think campfires are allowed if in a container. At SpeedWeek the evening temps are usually very mild. But you can get rain. The evening temps at World Finals can be downright chilly.

13. PM me, we will make sure we get a meeting, that breakfast was screwed by me being on call.

14. Frenchie  1

Frenchie 1
    from Colorado

It's going to be my first year also

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Also been here long enough to know that most searches end up with me reading hours of related posts and still not finding the answers, just easier to ask.

Trent, you guys going?

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

He might be. Its gonna take a lot of persuasion though. : - )

17. Subscribed, We have six Aussies coming over for a road trip so all info will help its better to get the info of real hot rodders I find rather than salesmen.

18. Ha Ha!

19. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Thanks guys, just the kind of information I was looking for.

20. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

You don't want to go cuz u get sunburn up your legs and bottom of your chin and its no fun at all. Just kidding ha ha ha. The best place on earth!!!!!!! Can't wait and hope u enjoy the whole experience.

21. noboD

noboD

2012 was my first time. Sleep in the rental, like I did. You will have NO trouble being up to see the sun rise. Best time of your life!