Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. gearguy

gearguy

Gregg Kishline & Lance Turner [both frequent lurkers on this site] have lots of vintage 1/4 midget stuff. I'll forward your interest to them.
    Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

2. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

That's Iron Mike Magrevy, probably mid to late 60's. The first cars i worked on were driven by Mike, the Pestana and Lang Midgets and Sprint Cars. Bill

3. racer5c

racer5c

from right to left Duane Carter, Bob Higman, Dana Carter, give me a few and I will remember some of the other guys in the pic

4. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Jan Oppermans USAC ride from 1974 on display at Port Royal Speedway EMMR show during the USAC sprint show June 2012, enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey BZ, I have this laying downstairs in My basement................Rich

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      510.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      502.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      511.9 KB
      Views:
  6. racer5c

racer5c

Hey BZ this one is at the swap meet at Indy today let me know if you want his number, he was askin $250

7. racer5c

racer5c

Guess I can't post pics from my phone

8. sramoa

sramoa

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anyone have got info for Len Stover sprint car?

9. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

The power of the HAMB is amazing. Thanks to everybody that sent info and leads on Quarter midget bodies. A special Thanks to Racer5c, he spotted one at the Indy swap and hooked me up with the seller, who I happen to already have a history of buying vintage midget parts from. This one happens to be just a short drive away.

The one I am getting looks to be from the same molds as the one RABs32 has. Thanks for posting and offering it up!

Thanks again,
    Neil

10. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

So if the 1962 Thompson Indusrties car Lloyd Ruby drove is the Travelon Trailer Christensen frame, and that is what the find is.... then what is the vintage Travelon Trailer car in 1960 livery seen at vintage sites? A copy?

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The TT car and TI car are 2 different cars/frames. Ruiz kept the TT car and when he died in the early 80s Don Tognotti bought it and had Mike Andreeta restore it. After Tognotti died I assume the current owner aquired it.

12. guffey

guffey

The Christianson built Travelon Trailer car was new in 1959 and the Christianson Thompson Industries car was new in 1961 from what the Greg Littleton Roadsters of Indianapolis book states.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The Travelon car was built for Ruiz by Christensen and Willie Utzman using Watson parts/pieces. Don't think Christensen had too much more involvement in it as Danny Oakes was the head wrench early on. Can't say if the Thompson car was built by Christensen or Watson originally but we know Christensen modified it in 1962 and he was the head wrench on it at least for 61/62.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Came across this reference to the Travelon car and am curious to the 'crossmember' deal. Typically crossmembers aint nothing more than some tubing notched out and welded between the side rails and it sure doesn't take any great skill to do that. I'm guessing these were "special" in some way or another.....:confused::confused:

Attached Files:

15. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Thanks all.

Why would the 61/62 car have the old manual jack points???

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Backup/redundancy would be my guess.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  17. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

Does anyone here have a photo of the number 9 midget driven by Rich Vogler in the 1970-1971 seasons... he raced it in the Wisconsin BADGER series? Thanks for anybody who might be able to help....

18. ...don't know if any of you guys can help,but does anyone know if anyone is reproducing Halibrand type ''lobster'' brake calipers ?

19. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Rootie, I have to question some parts of the story in your posted article. I can see Christiansen getting the completed side frame rails from Watson but I don’t think there was really much significance to the part about the crossmembers. The author simply may have gotten a little off track. Jack Sutton (I don’t think I’ve ever seen him referred to as Willie anywhere except this article) was a well known body fabricator; not a car builder. And his handiwork included all aluminum bodies for many of the best racing sports car “specials” of the period as well custom bodies for several Kurtis-Kraft sports car owners. It’s more likely that he only completed the connecting pieces as needed to compliment his own bodywork. And the original nose on the Travelon car is definitely aluminum and distinctive. It looked nothing like a Watson nose. And even Watson wasn’t using fiberglass noses in 1959. There are photos of both of his new 1959 cars in Glendale showing all aluminum noses on them. And while Watson cars did use fiberglass tails by then it’s very likely that Sutton built his tail from aluminum. We already know that the second Christiansen car had an aluminum tail so there’s a good chance that Barney got another tail for that car just like his first one. The photos of the Travelon wreck after the car burned at Milwaukee in August show no distortion or discoloration the way that fiberglass would even though the entire contents of the fuel tank were consumed. And the nose on the second Christiansen car also looks very similar to the first Sutton 1959 nose; it’s definitely not a Watson. It’s almost a cinch that Sutton also did the entire aluminum body on the 1961 Thompson car for Christiansen. I now believe that the wide open radiator slot and the large front top blend radius tie the bodywork of the second Christiansen car (1961 Thompson) to Sutton as well.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  20. 296ardun

296ardun

I think you are referring to Jack Sutton who had his body fabrication shop in Artesia, and yes, we called him "Willie," he did a lot of the work for Mickey Thompson's Indy car bodies, if he is the same guy, British by birth...he rolled out the nose of my B/fuel dragster, also did dragster work for Hippo Brammer (who introduced me to Willie), Ron McKibben, and some others. He also did sports car bodies, had one in his shop that looked sort of like a Devin....when he explained how to do compound curves on an English wheel, he gave me a piece of aluminum and had me put it through the wheel, came out crumpled and wadded up..."now you understand why we body fabricators charge so much," he said...point well taken!

21. sr

sr
    from Monterey

3 years ago there was a posting regarding Emmett Malloys car he sold in 1955. Some of the info is posted on page 605 of this thread. Tom Malloy (Emmett's son) asked me to try again to help locate his fathers car. Last word was that it may be in Washington. Anyone out there with information that could help out?

The car was the 1954 Malloy Special.

Thanks for the help.

Here is some of the info from Carl S post, page 605 of this thread....

Jimmy Reece - 1954 start 7th finish 17th - Bob Pankratz built car, Offy power owned and entered by Emmett J. Malloy, black, red, white #25

The car was sold by Malloy in 1955. It then became the Morcroft Special driven by Jimmy Davies 1956 #3 then driven by Gene Hartley in 57-58 #88, Eddie Johnson in 1955 #5. It is thought to be in the midwest. It has a Chevy in it with a roll cage. It is #63 In the photo, the car still has the long brake handle on the left side.

Later he posted that it may be in the Elma Washington area

22. pljas104

pljas104

[​IMG]
    Joe Giusti driving the Travelon Trailer sprinter at Ascot 1964 for Ernie Ruiz

23. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Excellent information. Thank you. And, yes, it's the same guy. Sutton is credited in some circles by being the first person to introduce the English wheel to American car builders. Do you happen to remember where his shop was in Artesia? Somebody told me that he also had a place in Hollywood which I assume might have been even earlier; maybe the late 1940s. :)

24. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

The car that may be in the Elma area is the sister car and not the one in question.

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That would be the Sid Street Motors Pankrantz car.

Attached Files:

26. 296ardun

296ardun

I think that it was off Pioneer Blvd, around 188th, turned right off Pioneer, I think it is behind the main building on Pioneer, some trucks parked in front of what I think might have been Willie's original shop, looked on Google Earth.....and the story about him introducing the engish wheel is certainly plausible, never saw one at other metal shaping shops (not at Doug Kruse's, for example)...of course this was early '60s

27. The picture was of the # 3 car of Leon Duray, Sig drove #23 in his Miller and Ralph DePalma was in his #1. This was at the Ascot speedway on April 13, 1924. I have several picutres of the actual race. I am the owner of the trophy ( not the one in the pic) that Sig won in a match race with Raplh DePalma.
    On the contrary of what was published but Sig, DePalma and Duray were friends. In fact Sig and DePalma only raced 5 times ( EVER) and Sig won 3 and DePalma won 2 between Feb and April of 1924. Another note Sig only owned one Miller.

Linda Haugdahl

28. J.D.W.

J.D.W.

Sir. I bet Ruth who is Slims wife took the pictures over the years and their might be pictures of me running aroung at Slims garage, Dad drove for Slim in 1964 when Earl moved onto a new ride. I want to try and post pictures of the car being build in 1964 are 1965 at Slims garage. Please let me know what you find. I would like to have copies of the pictures if you find them. Last I heard Ruth was in a nursing home in Knoxville and I am not sure how she is doing. Do you also remember Ralph Blacket? he and dad where friends. Sonny Helms was Dads Good friend from Avon Beach. They ran around together in the Super Modifides.

29. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

I bet you meant to post this in the original Sig thread over at the HAMB General Discussion - this is a different thread but glad you did.

Here's the link to the original thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413223

Also we have another thread that covers 1894-1944 motorsports history you may find interesting.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=380814

Carl

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  30. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

I remember Ralf Blackett, he drove for me in 1971 for about ten races. He was a good driver and nice guy, he died a few years ago. I see Sonny Helms son Greg every time i go to Knoxville, he is a great guy and helped Bob Trostle when he was young. Bill