Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help: Window felt replacment on pretty much any older car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by monkeyboy71, Jan 5, 2013.

1. monkeyboy71

monkeyboy71
    from Phoenix

I have a few older projects for which I need to clean up the rusty window trim ('41 Chevy coupe for starters). The original felt was attached to metal strips that was then stapled to the trim. And all of this stuff is shot and will need to be replaced. But how?

Are the new replacement felts applied differently? Or is the replacement of the new felts also some sort of staple-to-the-frame kind of application?

Has anyone done this kind of replacement? Any insight would be great.

2. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

There are lots of trim available that matches stock applications. If you have a car where nothing is geared for it, you can still order felt by the roll, window tracks and window sweeps by the stick.

3. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

where would one order the stuff mentioned?

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Restoration specialties. Google it. Good people. I used tiny rivets in places on the 52

5. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

6. oldolds

oldolds

Screws, rivets, urethane or other good glues to hold it in. Chevs of the 40"s would have your Chevy stuff. Older auto glass shops would have the catalogs to order you felts and sweeps. I used to deal with a place called C. R. Lawrance. They had a good catalog and would deal with the small guy.

7. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

When replacing the window fuzzies on my 40 Plymouth I ended up removing the staples and going with small rivets

8. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

Steel rubber may have what u are looking for as well

9. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

http://www.rubbertherightway.com/1941-chevy-restoration-parts-windows-6718-ctg.htm

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

11. Most of the local automotive glass & trim shops carry the window felt & fuzzy's in several different sizes and lengths.

At least they do in my neck of the woods,,my felt was originally attached with staples,,I just used 3M automotive adhesive to glue it in place. HRP

12. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

I thanked you once, but after visiting their website, I felt compelled to thank you again! great catalog with very detailed dimensions!!!!

13. Phil1934

Phil1934

If it's custom don't forget JC Whitney. I have bought from them.

14. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

CR Lawrance is the main supplier to the auto glass industry, if they don't have it they don't make it. I've bought from them for YEARS..............

15. supervert

supervert

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have used pop rivets on some of my builds for the glass run channel inside the doors. The head pulls down into the fuzzy part at the bottom and clears the glass very well. I like this stage of the restoration. I'm building a hot rod and not a 100 points restoration so the proper mechanical fastener is not as important to me as it might be to some one else as long as it is out of sight. A dab of flat black paint and no one will ever know.:D

17. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

If you want to rebuild the fuzzies or window channel felts you have now replace the old material with the loop side of hook and loop material. You can get strips of loop only material that is adhesive-backed from McMaster-Carr. I just did mine on my current project and it worked out great and saved lots of $$$$$

18. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Just paying it forward

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The only way I install the Fuzzies is with the metal staples. Just drill two small holes and bend over the tabs. Never had one fail me yet, unlike the other methods.

20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do as Stanlow69 says--done many 40 Fords this way-have seen folks use small screws, etc and end up with scratched glass