Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That big old stage stop burned to the ground a few years ago. What a WASTE!

2. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I believe this became the location of Brill's Auto Parts, south side of Washington Blvd, where Washington Blvd and Washington Place meet great stuff thanks for sharing !!!!

The pup cafe 12728 Washington Blvd in venice - 1920[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. Looks to be a "Diamond T" according to the badge on the front. Very similar to the "Stutz Pak-Age-Car.

4. Really? It would've been neat to see it next time we were in the neighborhood, too bad.

5. gyronaut

gyronaut

This is Noel Black's streamliner "Motion I" doing an exhibition run at a dragstrip. It crashed at about 385MPH in 1970 at Bonneville, challenging the Summers Bros.' Goldenrod record.

Below is Alex Tremulis at Bonneville helping out with its aerodynamics by placing strips of yarn on the bodywork to determine air flow direction at speed. The ultimate wind tunnel. Unfortunately the professional photographer shot the car at speed from the wrong side. His photo is also attached...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Looks like it had a rich past before it was lost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

" In 1850, Samuel Colver and his brother Hiram moved their families to Oregon via the Oregon Trail. Samuel and Hiram founded the small community of Phoenix. Samuel built a home in Phoenix in 1855. It was known as the Samuel Colver House when it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. When it was destroyed by fire in September 2008, it was the oldest residence in Jackson County.[1] It had served as a fort during the Indian War[which?] and as center of activity for the local community during peaceful times. It was removed from the National Register in April 2009."

7. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

Here are a couple of pics I took of the recreation of The Pup Cafe that now lives on the streetscape of the Petersen Automotive Museum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Truly a significant loss, such a shame to see these buildings that connect us to the past lost to fire and other such damage. Very sad.

9. This fire certainly seemed, um, timely as the owners were literally about to lose it to foreclosure... such a shame.

10. fast_dog

fast_dog

I am surprised by the vintage truck being used, maybe because of the low final drive?

11. LAROKE

LAROKE

That model of Mack was produced up thru 1939, I believe. If it's a '39, then the truck is only 13 years old in that pic.

12. RIP,Buick Motor Division

[​IMG]

13. As a side note...before the fire and for the 150th year anniversary of Phoenix, Oregon, I did the art/drawing for this pen/ink picture that is on the Phoenix museum coffee cups. Sorry for the O/T shot...

Attached Files:

14. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Does anyone have photos of the used car dealers on Baum Blvd in Pittsburgh PA? I'm looking for photos of the building at 5001 Baum Blvd.

It was used by several dealers over the years including Babe Aronson and Mel Cummings in the 50s and Red Harris in the late 40s.

They used several addresses including 5001, 5005, and 5007, all the same building. The building still exists but was given a face lift.

Seems like there were a lot of dealers along this stretch of Baum Blvd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Interesting thing is that Babe Aronson later partners with Don Yenko ( of Yenko Camero fame) in a used car business and dies in the plane crash that took Yenko's life in March of 1987.

16. Desert Centre Cafe is/was a very historic building, has been used in many Hollywood movies and television series. Gen George Patton used the California Desert as training grounds for our troops to be sent to Africa during WWII. Chiriaco Summit, Desert Center & Blythe among others all benefited from the military presence. It was pretty much unchanged up until the early 1990's when I left the area.
    Main St. Blythe also unchanged except for a 4 way stop at this intersection.

17. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

One more
    What I like about the old pictures, with almost no exceptions, is the ability to see a slice of life at that time - Look at the construction site - There are cars and trucks in the pit - At the time in America not too many folks had the luxury of multiple vehicles, a family car and a work vehicle - I know from experience that many times we only had one vehicle and that was Dad's Car or Truck that doubled as his work vehicle and the family transportation. My Dad took my Mother in a Dump Truck when she went into labor with me and that was my ride home.
    These observations are of the people and the times that formed our life today and they validate the ideals that we try to replicate in our hobby/life styles.
    When I see a picture of a S. S. Kresge 5&10 store and the smell of burgers cooking at the lunch counter flashes and I can remember my friends and I riding the bus to town and going to eat at Kresge's - We were about 8 or 9 years old and NOBODY thought a thing was wrong with this - Those same friends and I bought a Ford F1 pickup in 1963 that we used to haul yard equipment or junk from clean outs to get gas money for girls, cars, girls, cars and more of each
    When you see these pictures look at the whole picture and see the details of life then and compare it with what you are living in now, and how you got here.
    Looks like I'm trying to out write Jimmi

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

385? Did he survive the crash?

19. empire

empire

20. empire

empire

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Damn good effort. :)

22. OkieBob

OkieBob

Re: Post #62659 Looks like a lowered, chopped roadster hot rod to me... at left center.

23. Good eye, Grasshopper!

24. hudson48

hudson48

That 33/34 roadster 3 back from top left looks like it is hot rodded?
    Sitting low and chopped top?

25. empire

empire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.