Register now to get rid of these ads!

How slow can you go on Salt Flats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldolds, Jan 23, 2013.

1. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

is that really the concept ?

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Not trying to hijack, but I thought I would share a couple of shots of how we are laying out the chassis skeleton. Once we have shaped and installed the curved uprights in the chassis, the temporary braces will be removed, and the roll cage will be installed. Also shown are the wheels and tires we will be using in to start with. One of the challenges will be, with only 1.5 hp, getting it geared with as little parasitic drag as possible. After we have had our fun the the John Deere engine, we will install a real bullet, and see what it can do.

Attached Files:

3. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

I have a Sears Gilera, which is the same bike that holds the 125cc pushrod record. I read somewhere that a dirt road in Nebraska has the same roll resistance of salt. Putting the two together after three years I have tuned my way closer to the record and am still confronted with if I can exceed it here on a dirt road how much faster do I have to go for the altitude change. I'm going to go when I reach the record speed just to see how close I can get to it there. Oh yeh, sixty something on basically a motorized bicycle feels real fast with the threat of a coyote coming out of the corn. NO GUTS

4. noboD

noboD

This year a young guy built a moped with a 162cc Honda ohv engine. Think he went 76mph and set records, was just as proud as the fast guys. The bike was a work of art.

5. firingorder1

firingorder1

The bike indeed was a work of art but there is a question as to whether or not the engine is a "motorcycle" engine. The rules state the engine must be a motorcycle engine. It appears that the Honda engine used was not designed for motorcycle use. There's a big long thread on landracing.

6. firingorder1

firingorder1

Which is why I run a sidecar. I couldn't afford to buy all the necessary stuff for a car. I just tell people everything I need is built into the leathers.

7. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The world record for a bar stool on the salt was 21.852 MPH in 1998.

(latest record it 55.935 in 2011)

(They diden't measure the amount of beer that was consumed during the run, but you can figure that the slowest guy probably won that record.)

8. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

You could start a 300# piano class or 200# wood stove class?

9. I don't know about bar stools and other type nonsence setting records, but a friend and I were comtemplating going for the record for the smallest engine in a stock "production car". I haven't looked these days but it was for 250cc and under if I remember correctly and at the time there was no record on the books. (about 10 years ago) The min speed to set a record was 80mph? I have a BMW Isetta with a 247cc factory built engine we were going to use that had a top speed of 52mph we wanted to try. The logistics of squeeking another 30mph out of it with all the rules restrictions probably wouldn't happen hence no record on the books at that time. How many other production cars had an engine that small? Perhaps someone with a rule/record book could check if that is still the case. I also think it was for El Mirage? and not Bonneville maybe? I do have a special carb and custom made rear gear set for the attempt I started playing with, some of the only modifications allowed.

10. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

wasn't there a 3cc powered egg shaped entry, the Wee Eel or something like that? looked like sort of a parambulator with a cover??? Now that I have turned 70 I don't feel embarrased asking questions based on insignificant synapses firing.

11. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

13. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

5 MPH in the pits!

14. oldolds

oldolds

This is the kind of classes I was thinking about. Something less than 1000 cc., 4 wheels, 2 doors and not much else. Hot Rod and R+C just show the fast cars. I know there has to be guys that work hard to go as fast as they can, just not the top 10. Not meaning to dis the cycle guys. They work hard too.

15. noboD

noboD

If that's the case I'm surprised it wasn't caught at inspection. What's the saying? It's not how fast you go it's how you go fast.

16. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I remember a couple years ago at El Mirage,
    there was a small engined streamliner motorcycle type machine.
    It was really nicely done, very light and the small crew was really into it.
    When their turn was up,
    the side wind was so strong it blew them off the track,
    not even 30 feet from where we were parked!
    [​IMG]
    TP

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

Apparently,......... pretty dang slow....
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    [​IMG]

18. noboD

noboD

I'm sure he's well known, he worked the starting line this year. Every young kid that he saw he gave a homemade streamliner made from wood.

19. Choptop

Choptop

here is a small pic of our 50cc sidecar rig. A YSR, some square tubing, a trailer tire and plywood.

[​IMG]

20. firingorder1

firingorder1

This the one you're thinking of? 3 c.i.

[​IMG]

21. Hey marty I was thinking the same thing only a motorcycle. It would be damn cool to have the worlds fastest staionary engine

22. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

right on FiringOrder, that's the one. Always reminded me of a baby carriage. Bet 50 mph in that was quite a ride!!!! Thanks for finding pic, I'll put it in my folder.