Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Great Age of Convertible Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Back when drivers had Huevos Grandes!

2. I can remember them racing at the Missouri State Fairgrounds in Sedalia. It was cool being able to see the drivers working the steering wheels and stuff. No roll bars or any of that stuff. Big BALLS!
    Later,
    Dick

3. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Those are real race cars with real drivers, not to be confused with that modern NASCAR garbage.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

check out the 6 lug wheels on the '57 in the first pic...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. lawman

lawman

More More More !!!! Loved watching them at the old Fair Ground's
    motor speedway in Louisville Kentucky.I'm sure indyJohn on here will remember them as he was a flag man at that track.

6. Indeed. Some of the roll bar designs on the convertibles look pretty iffy.

7. exactly, just like the Black Widow cars.

8. I remember Richard Petty telling the story about why the drivers preferred the convertibles back during that period of time.

They weren't afraid of wrecks or roll overs,,,fire is what scared them,,they feared being trapped in a sedan that was on fire.

Amazing how times have changed. HRP

9. The last pic on post #1 is the Holman -Moody crew..Notice the #22 Fireball Roberts cars. Both a sedan & convertible..Lots of independent teams just cut the top off a sedan ,ran convertible,then bolted the top back on for the regular races..
    And ,all the chrome trim still on the cars, along with the vet-glass & frames...Those were truly "stock cars"...

10. Quite so. As explained in the story, cars that ran both series were known as zipper cars. The top was merely a panel that attached with a few fasteners. The Holman Moody '59 Thunderbirds were zippers, as were some Petty cars.

11. Yes, sir -- convertible racing first took off in the Midwest. Then Big Bill France bought a series up north, brought it south and converted it into the Convertible Division.

12. toomuchcountry

toomuchcountry
    from Tennessee

I'm on the hunt for info - an article, photo, personal memory, etc. - about Billy Myers' convertible win at Wilson Speedway in 1957. He raced an Oldsmobile for Petty Engineering, but that's about all I know. I've searched many newspapers via Google News Archive but haven't surfaced anything yet. I'm wanting to write a blog post about the win as part of an overall series I'm planning for wins by Petty Enterprises drivers. Will appreciate any info that can be shared.

http://www.racing-reference.info/race/1957-35/V

13. Don't have any info now but I'll keep my eye out.