Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I Being Scammed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got my motor for sale in the HAMB classifides and on craigslist locally.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759027

I relisted the CL ad yesterday and had a guy email me saying he was interested and wanted to know my lowest price. I emailed him back and told him the price I was asking was fair and sent a video of the engine running.

This morning, I got this email from him:

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Thanks for your response.. I'm quite satisfied with the condition and price but i still need some more pictures and I need you to understand that i am a serious buyer who's willing and ready to purchase it from you right away, but am so sorry i might not be able to come and check it myself due to the nature of my work as i work offshore so can you end the advert, consider me as your favorite buyer.I would be paying with PayPal Transfer and i will takecare of the transfer charges from my account and would pay directly into your PayPal account without any delay once this deal is sealed, and i hope you have a paypal account. If you have one already kindly send me a paypal invoice so once i receive the details i will go ahead with the payment through PayPal and then i will contact my shipping company after you get the payment. I will need your home address for it to be Picked Up by the Shipping Company..[/FONT]

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it sounds fishy to me. What do you think?

2. Does sound 'iffy'
    The bit "as i work offshore so can you end the advert, consider me as your favorite buyer." is a peculiar wording... kinda like someone whos first language isnt english. Where does he say he's from?

3. What, Dave, you don't trust me? Come on. Aw hell, busted again. :mad:

Fishy is right. Don't respond. Scammer. Don't let him get ahold of any financial information, especially Paypal or any bank routing numbers to your account.

4. Hey Dave:
    Did the guy give you his name and his address? Why don't you ask him for his cell number and his address so you can contact him directly to discuss?
    Mike

5. Snarl

Snarl

total scam. I've seen that same verbage used many times....

6. Choff

Choff

Ask them more specific questions on what they are buying, Sounds like scam to me, have had some of the same on Craigs list, Your gut tells you scam its a scam.
    Choff

7. erock805

erock805

I got a similiar hit on my riv Wednesday. Texted me about the price, asked no car questions, then said he would send a paypal...just wanted my paypal address to make the payment. I googled it...its a scam.

8. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Send you a Paypal invoice?

9. Trust your gut feeling..mine would be telling me to ignore this guy.

10. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I have had good confidence in Paypal transactions. Send the invoice first, then after it all clears, send address. Get his phone number and talk to him, maybe that will ease your mind.

11. lizzie

lizzie

It seems hinky to me, just based on the way he's writing.
    Since when do people have "favorite buyers" on a craigslist ad?
    Also, everyone in their right mind knows that you don't "end the advert" until after you receive payment and the deal is finalized. A deal isn't sealed until payment is received, that's just common knowledge.
    I'm thinking that he's either trying to sound intelligent and failing, or he's trying to pull one over on ya. I would tell him to take a hike.

12. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Nice motor by the way....

13. raidmagic

raidmagic

That's a straight up scam.

14. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Scam............Seen that one before.

15. If it walks like a duck,talks like a duck and acts like a duck,,it's probably a scammer.:mad: HRP

16. I wouldn't consider anything about that as legitimate.
    Ignore it or you can torment him. Depends on what kind of mood you are in.

17. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Yes, it's a scam !

18. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I agree the verbiage is odd, but how would the scam work through PayPal? No routing numbers or direct access to your account, so after payment just move the funds to yoyr regular account. Do all of this before shipping and who cares how wordy the buyer is.

Ialso agree that the ad is open until the deal is done. If you have other buyers in line, go with what makes you comfortable.

19. jungle_josh

jungle_josh

20. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

scam, as soon as they start talking that offshore crap, were done!

21. white64

white64
    from Maine

22. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

There English just dose not sound right.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. SCAM!!

I've been marketing classic cars on the internet for 14+ years and I've heard it all.....Ignore this guy like the plague. You would not believe the stories I've heard.

Murph

24. Jamoke

Jamoke

I received the same email 1000s of times SCAMMER all the way !!!

25. Like someone has said, ask them specific questions and see what happens - sadly, I too think it's a scam due to the wording but check it out - you never know.

26. Bobp

Bobp
    from ny

My son got a vary similar email. He was selling a bike on ebay. It's a scam!

27. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

28. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.