Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What color of black is best

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ol' Blue, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They all look the same at 70 mph............ :D

2. R-M used to kick all the others' ass for a true, rich Black, but I don't know if it's still available (or legal!).
    I have a '70 Chevelle I bought new and it still has the original 99L finish on it. It looks great, ......... until I park it next to my friend's '69 Chevelle painted with R-M. No comparison; that '69 is Bitch Black!!!!! :eek:
    If you're going with a B/C then I'd have to cast a vote for the Mercedes formula. :cool:

3. iarodder

iarodder

Ummm...........Black? Seriously, there are a ton of variations, I really like the depth of the black from Dupont, I think its GM black. I painted my motorcycle with it and its very rich and deep/ wet looking. Just my .02 cents worth

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I worked at the body shop we wouldn't put a black car outside for the customer to pick up until a few minutes before they arrived. If it sat out any longer it would be filthy when they came for it and we would have to detail it all over again. Black looks great but sure is a lot of work to maintain.

Don

5. Thanks again for the suggestions. It looks like the PPG 9300 is worth looking into as well as the Sherwin Williams black. I have a month to investigate before it goes under the gun. The car was red when I got it but I think it wants to be black.....real black.

Attached Files:

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D How about"Blacker than 10ft down Granpa`s coal chute".?
    The only thing BETTER than a PERFECT black paint job---------------------------------Is TWO of them.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. I saw a really interesting black paint job at the local langley show this summer. It was 'the real wet look' it had small water beads in the paint to make it always look wet. Only drawback is I'd always be reaching for the chamois!!

8. cavman

cavman

H-D and a new Cad has the blackest Black. Each has a blue toner added, which brings out what is referred to as saturation. I own 3 black GM vehicles, they are what is called a "brown black" because sometime ago the Mfg's were convinced that true black was too sinister, too satanic....so they muddied up black to appeal to the weaker buying public. This is according to a paint rep from one of the major suppliers.
    Believe it or not......

9. Rob68

Rob68

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black. "

10. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

11. ninosdad

ninosdad

Black is black ...I want my baby back

OK you other geezers you remember it ;-)

PPG black is straight black, no pearl, diamond or flake of any sort... just black

12. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

There is only one black. If some look different than others, it's because of the underlay, the clear topcoat, or because someone has added something to make it some other color that is not actually black. Maybe you were looking at a paint called Really, Really Close to Black and thought it was Black.

13. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

Dually Door.jpg

Paint, bike welding 041.jpg

Paint, bike welding 042.jpg

PPG Basecoat black under PPG 2001 clear

The best black is the one that is over the straightest and most flat base.

I used to do this for a living for 40 years.....

Your Pal, Gary

14. mustangdug

mustangdug

I'd use Ford black its way faster!:D

15. jw johnston

jw johnston

PPG single stage black

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

I like Sherwin Williams code for Harley Davidson's vivid black. Just painted my bosses 51 F1 with it and it sure is pretty. Looks like you could dive into it.

17. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Used Dupont ChromaBase 99K Black Base Coat on my 5-window. It is black as black can be and doesn't show brown or any other color but black in the sun light.

18. CherrylaneHotrods

CherrylaneHotrods

Mercedes code 197. Black bc cc. Glasurit.

19. Personally, I'd go with the darker shade.

20. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

when talking about pigments black is the presence of all colors---paint has pigments --you can prove this easily with a box of crayons--- in the light spectrum white is all colors prove this with a prism --it is also how our color TV works---did not read all the posts hope i am not repeating info

21. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

going to paint mine tuxedo black, got 3 gallons of dupont imron, befoe they banned it from us, should be tough paint for years to come .

22. Deuces

Deuces

Hahahahahaha....:D:D:D

23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I have a '70 Chevelle I bought new and it still has the original 99L finish on it. It looks great, ......... until I park it next to my friend's '69 Chevelle painted with R-M. No comparison; that '69 is Bitch Black!!!!! :eek:
    If you're going with a B/C then I'd have to cast a vote for the Mercedes formula. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Must not be any old timers left here. Back when I first learned this stuff (1976 or so), even though my mentor/boss was a Dupont fanatic, he only used R-M Double Deep Black, for his custom jobs. I think it might have still been nitrocellulose lacquer. But DAMMM, was it BLACK!
    Ring any bells??? Rex?????

24. mow too much

mow too much

Good choice in color;), like Larry said the old Centauri 99L is/was called Pitch Black. I'm sure a guy can search around and find some but you maybe locked up as an environmental terrorist if caught.:eek::D

25. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Used ppg on my avatar, 9300 I think.Then ppg clear, don't remember the #,something with a 4 in it. The ppg rep said it is the blackest of black and I believe it .

26. Noland

Noland

PPG 9300. its just black toner right out of the can nothing else mixed with it.

27. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Wow, that's a lot of talking about the paint Black! Technically speaking, black is not a color but a value. White and black are values that when added with pigment Hues (colors) you can create an almost infinate spectrum.
    When trying to achieve a specific color, there are a many ways to mix them. The RGB method (Red, Green, Blue) and the CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) every paint manufacturer has their own unique system. They are always adding vibrance (HUE/Pigment) to make colors pop & glow, metallics for sparkle, pearls for depth.
    So when choosing a specific color, value or look for the finnish of your hotrod, it can be really difficult. You can just point to a chip or mix your own or just say REAL BLACK!

28. I have some PPG vibrance black toner

- it seems to be built on a mostly blue with touch of red base. Its black but if its thinned or dilluted greatly is shows a dark blueish purple.

29. Those 73-87/91 PU doors are a bitch to get straight and flat - the siding is takeing a walk.
    Are those a fresh refinish?

30. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

Nighthawk Black. Looks black until the sun hits it, then there's a hint of dark blue. Cool looking color