Register now to get rid of these ads!

If you got a 2nd Chance what would do...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabilly53, Jan 24, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

How can I say this without sounding like a total door knob... When I was 24, I was already two years into a complete transformation of my family's small business from a single mom and pop store to four stores locally with 50 employees and 10 road crews selling our product nationwide. In 1989 we sold more of our product than Sears did. (if you must know it was sewing machines) Sounds bitchin'! And it was, trust me. Money was made hand over fist... BUT, (and here comes the wisdom) with all I learned about building and running a business, I never learned one simple thing - extreme success rarely lasts forever! SAVE SOME AMOUNT OF EVERYTHING YOU MAKE!!!

I had the best clothes, a nice house, neat cars (lots of them), ate at the best restaurants damn near everynight, and dated some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen, but I spent money like water. Five years later, Wal Mart moved into larger towns and absolutely devistated my business as it had been. Money gone... what I did right - bought a house I could afford instead of a mansion. Bought and built cars that were tangible and saleable assets instead of depreciations. But otherwise that's about it. If I had stashed just 10% of what I spent being a playboy fun time guy during those years I could be living a much, much more comfortable life right now.

2. Confucius,,HRP

3. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Emigrate.............

4. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

he's not talking about actual university courses and he's not talking about finding a church to attend as someone thought, earlier in the thread.

Financial Peace University would be a great idea as it'll get you thinking right when it comes to how you handle money. just google Dave Ramsey.

it's also been brought up by others in the thread and i'll 2nd and 3rd them 'til the cows come home. be smart with your money. save as much as you can...buy used things or discounted things. don't go out to eat 40 times a week. don't get over your head in debt of any kind. stay away from credit cards (except for maybe one to establish some credit). if you don't have cash for that thing you want, wait until you do. i was stupid when i was in my 20's and bought an apartment full of new furniture on credit. dumb, dumb, dumb.

5. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

I'm 29, turning 30 in April, not too far ahead of you. Most of my best friends are at least twice my age. Over the past few years I've also lost more of my younger friends than I care to talk about, more than the your average Joe. I'll tell you this...that combination has taught me to RESPONSIBLY live for the day. Do what feels right. Take a chance every once in a while. If you really want to do something just do it. No regrets. I plan for my future but I make damn sure today kicks as much ass as possible. You never know where life is going to take you. I've made numerous career changes over the years and they've all taught me something different. I may not have a firm grip on what I'm going to do "for the rest of my life" but I can honestly say that I'll do whatever I want.

6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

There would be nothing i could change because i didn't know what the hell i was doing when i was 24 to begin with. Any success or failures i had at 24 were purely luck only, not brainpower because i didn't have any (and still don't).

2) what kind of welding are you doing?

3) Could you be more specific regarding what kind of work you want to do with cars? Are you ASE certified?

7. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If i was 24 again i would really try to get into the drivers seat of a race car. It's something that i love and never had the chance to do. I'm very lucky though that i get to tour with the S&S Race Team in the summer and travel the nostalgia race circuit. I have got to meet alot of famous people because of it and made alot of great friends. Also seeing as how it was -17 degrees on my way to work this morning i would go somewhere warmer in the winter.
    Gasser Girl

8. eppster

eppster

I would have to agree with need louvers? as my life had a similiar run. Here I am at 66 , no wife ,no children , little money. I worked for a company for 25 years and thought I would retire there instead, a few different laws and a different economy and everything in the sewn products area went south or overseas. Then a divorce destroyed me mentally and finacially. Remember that today is today and tomorrow might be a whole different day. Don't be afraid to move forward but put a little away just in case tomorrow isn't what you expect.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Never get into a LTR with a recovering alcoholic or an addict of any sort. Fuck those people.

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

not a thing ! i grew up in a great era . did anything i wanted to do !!!!!!!!!!

11. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Simple rules...invest in yourself, learn a marketable skill, build a product, hire someone to work for you, grow, be honest in your dealings, fix any mistake before you do another thing, don't chase the money because if you do these things, it will find you. Do these things at 24 and you won't have to post something when you're 65.

12. Thumper

Thumper

24 again...??? I woulda fucked that hot cashier at the Piggly Wiggly...:D

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

To second this and add something I didn't learn until I was about forty - get that one card, and use it ONLY FOR THINGS YOU CAN PAY FOR!!! In other words, spend 500.00 on your card this month, pay 500.00 on the monthly due date. Period. No emergencies, nothing fancy, just what you can pay for in a month and never never slip. I never in my life figured I'd have to buy stuff on credit, but when stuff went topsy turvy about four years ago and my business went away over night it was good to have a safety cushion in excellent credit. Just because I had been so careful with my credit I still have my home and personal stuff today, as well as a seed to start a new business.

Last one. The only situation where I would say it's ok to spend money at your age insted of saving would be the purchase of tools that will allow you to make money. If you have tooling and the tallent to use them, you'll never starve.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, that too! Wait, I'm pretty sure I did....

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i'm a little different,i would live life to the fullest,do everything i ever wanted to do,if i could afford it,even some even tho i couldn't afford it. life is very short,enjoy it to the fullest.don't look back and say man i wished i had done this or done that.

16. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

Mainly Mig, I was welding armor plating for military vechicles for the FMTVs but the company is cutting 650 jobs in which mine will be gone...I'm not ASE certified but I'd love to try fabrication with chopping and channeling..or chassis building..as long as its for an old car I'd like to do it..I've built one Z'd frame an had it in square by 1/64th of an inch..I was 21 and thought that was the coolest thing ever! As far as being a racer I think that would be amazing but money limits dreams and I dont think a more door 53 would be a good track car lol

17. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

I would pack up and head for the Islands.Caribbean,warm nights, hot woman,cool drinks,laid back no worry life.and for someone from the north that is not afraid of work.There will always be a job.

18. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Don't sell your cool stuff, unless its to buy even cooler stuff.

Take care of your self health-wise so you don't have to deal with illness as you get older.

I'm less than a decade ahead of you, but I wish I would've taken my own advice. It's hard to get back that stuff once you are married with a house etc. Unless you are making a lot more money.

19. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i'll get back to you later, as i have to go to work soon.

Actually, there is one thing i would definitely do differently when i was 18; There was sort of a, let's say, "larger" girl that i think wanted to do a 3-some. But i turned her down.

How stupid can you get? Her friend was skinny/normal sized.

Don't be like me would be my first area of advice.
    a) Just because someone is older than you does not mean they are smarter(although they usually are) or better off than you.

20. Lets see.... would wait to get married......maybe forever. Would wait to have kids..........maybe forever. Would have made the move from collision repair to teaching much sooner. Would have started learning metal shaping much sooner. Would have bought property much sooner......... would never have started doing restoration / hot rod building for other people. Don't get me wrong, I love my life, I'm a very happy guy. Just wasted a lot of time on people and things that didn't deserve it. I would have liked to be where I'm at now, much sooner.

21. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

rockabilly if you have a place to work, build something to sell. get a quality name going and you will be able to pick and choose your customers, the ones with money!

22. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

It's hard to make your passion or hobby your job. Have to work on jobs whether you feel like it or not meet deadlines, make other people happy, to pay the bills. I did it for a while but enjoy working on cars much more when it's just a hobby.

23. Twenty four? Go to college and get your education - any degree. It expands your life beyond any measure!

If I were twenty four again I'd go to college again. Best thing I ever did...
    And if you know how to use tools and be self reliant, so much the better.

Good luck!

24. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Everybody here has great advice!...I look back and think ....maybe I should've went to college. At age 17 ...worked in a local speed shop. Machined brake rotors..and driving a parts truck. Come along way since! Raced dirt late models for 24 years ( no pension check there!) Built my own race cars. Engines, rear ends and transmissions. Turned it into a business....bought a home, huge shop!...living large! Track owner sells the track!...business tanks! Thinking now..maybe I should've went to college!...moved south..Best thing I ever did! Get a great job, Machinist....working with higher educated people with no mechanical attributes....thinking again....maybe I should've went to college!...then I think, screw that!...those guys CAN'T do what I can!....the only advice I can say...make sure you put some $$$$$$ away!!....401 k, properties, collector cars,...things that are assets!....I'll be working til death!...but I have no regrets!

25. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

Skull I like your thinking..

RuFF..I did the school thing for three years

26. Smokey2

Smokey2

I would'nt run out of $$$................You never run out of Time !!

27. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I would smell the roses put in front of me! Slow life down and enjoy every minute of it. It will end in a heart beat. Trust me !!!!!!

28. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

having reached geezerdom mostly the hard way ----i would have had myself neutered when i was 14 so i could spend all my time and money on cars---HOLD ON---i would have sold my car to spend all my time and money on women----NO--- i would find a way to light the candle in the middle ...not just on both ends---yeah that would do it---now is the time--- do something today that you won't regret tomorrow

29. You are already in a skilled trade that is in demand. You can change employers until you find a good fit. Start doing side jobs and make a name for yourself. If you can do that others will seek you out and you can start your own business. You can always do the hot rod projects if the come to you and wont get burned out like if you did that full time. I only wish I had done the same at your age. Also start saving for retirement NOW. I started IRAs for my three kids for Christmas this last year and am hoping it teaches them something.

30. mickeyc

mickeyc

Well Rock, If your skills are really well developed as a weldor the possibilities are endless! The thing is, it is your level of skill that will be a big factor in any success as a weldor or what ever endeavor your strive at.
    If you are a weldor who has had limited experience and only run a limited
    type of weld you will be an inexpensive replacement for an automated process welder. Develop your skills then move on! I have worked with and directed welders for forty years. My skills are as a fabricator and lay out and fitter hand and not so much as a weldor. The key is certifications and thorough skills as well as good attitude. At your age you do not need a second chance, you are still on your first chance to make the world your oyster! Also if you are a really competent metal hand the work will find you.