Register now to get rid of these ads!

If you got a 2nd Chance what would do...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabilly53, Jan 24, 2013.

1. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

Reason I ask is I'm 24..I'm a production welder and cars are my passion..if I could work on them day and night I'd be in heaven..I'm single no kids no baggage and love to learn..if you could be 24 again what would you do differently to be more involved in the passion we share?

2. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

nothing ,i have been wrenching on cars for 25 years as a certified tech.spent about 6 years of that in specialty shops building these for other people.i have been messin with them as long as i remember ,thanks to my dad helping me.i will tell you it can get a little stressful building cars for other people,still its more fun than peeling potatoes.

3. I learned a long time ago when you make your hobby your job,,,that's what it becomes,,a JOB. HRP

4. BILL54

BILL54
    from oHIo

I agree with HRP, dont mix your hobbys with work- ya know.The cobblers kids have no shoes.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I agree, I dont think I would have the interest to work on my stuff nearly as much if I did it all day long. That being said as I get older I dont feel like working on it as much either.

6. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

I just get so sick going to a factory running the same bead over and over again...I thought maybe try sheet metal work or cnc machining...I think the hobby has grown onto me more then it being a hobby...like how disease spreads lol

7. plan9

plan9

Based on your current situation, do whatever fuels your fire. If you are really into something the money will come, but it doesnt mean you'll be able to hang onto it. The hard work is in handling your money correctly so you can feel comfortable when times aren't as good.

8. I know it's not specifically what you're asking about but if I was your age, I'd find a local church to take Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University.

It will set you up to avoid mistakes and help you live happily with what you make.

9. I'd do it all the same! otherwise I wouldn't be where I am today. I'm content.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is a place for Church on the HAMB. this is not it.

11. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

just paid more attention when I was younger and hung around Dad more.....

12. daveymac405

daveymac405

agreed!

13. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

I just wish I could be the guy with the speed shop...or the custom/traditional shop...when I was in school I had Elegent Customs out of Cali say I could work under the wing of there guys and learn which sounds amazing but the price of living and the fact I wouldn't get paid kind of shut that dream down...I'd be willing to relocate too its just no one wants a newb to show the ropes to since time is money

14. Don't be a smart ass!:mad:

Don ain't preaching! HRP

15. If I was young again the only changes would be not to get a divorce, the missus and I missed a lot of fun the years that we were separated.

oh that's not the question is it. A shop was advertising for a fabricator on here today or yesterday. if you think you want to work at your hobby then maybe a quick use of the search function is what you should do.

Personally I prefer to keep my hobbies and my livelihood separate. I have tried doing it for a living and it is a drag.

16. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

+2......he teaches common sense that your grandmother would have taught you.....Tell yourself you are young and don't Know shit!. Listen to old rich people and do what they do. Don't take no advise from anyone who has less money than you do. (just my 2 cents anyhow)

Also, "porknbeaner" is right, If you love it Don't try and do it for a living!!....

17. erlomd

erlomd

save money... and what cowtown speed shop said.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  18. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

need to listen to these guy's..........as I said when I was younger PAY MORE ATTENTION...(listen)

19. rockabilly53

rockabilly53

I've tried the school thing, Ive devoted two years for auto tech and another year for welding. When I was a tech my starting wage was 8.50 an hour 40 hours a week, plus I worked 20 hours on weekends at Walgreens and went to school 5 days a week from 430-10 pm..I've busted my ass and still not satisfied I guess when I flip on the tv and see these shops saving cars from the crushers and building peices of rolling art It makes me wonder why can't that be me(besides the fact I live in Wisconsin)

20. If I was 24 again, I'd do a lot of things differently.

21. OK I was going to give you a hard time then you added that last little bit. ;)

If I was 24 today and had no business savvy I would try and get myself some business savvy how ever I had to, even if it was just business classes at the local community college. Then start working on a plan to go into business for myself. One thing that my grandad taught me was that if you are going to make money you have to work for yourself. No one gets wealthy working for someone else. Then when you are in a position to not work as much, you can enjoy the fruits of your spoils. The only times in my life that I have made any real money were times that I had a successful business going.

22. Monolith

Monolith

Follow your dream- you can always switch up if you get sick of it.
    And start a retirement account NOW.

I was into cars til my mid 20's and drifted away from the hobby.
    Got back into it in my mid 40's.
    I wish to hell I hadn't lost those 20 years of being around cars.
    Just 1 guys experience here. Guys who have been around the hobby(or business) all of their lives will likely have better insights for you.

But seriously-get that retirement account earning interest asap.

23. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

i'd move somewhere warmer. i loved the cold and snow when i was a kid but, the older i get, the more i hate cold weather.

24. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Worked for Volvo exhibitions for some years.... building hot rods and bikes all the time, after some years the two mixed in a negative way, making display cars and chromed cut thru engines during day and doin almost the same when i got home wasn't really beneficially for my hobby.....

Solution: I made a decision to do something totally different and became a nurse, that move made my interest in my own hobby vehicles to increase drastic....

But we are all different.

Good luck!

25. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Put more in a Roth 401K......
    Hug my mom & dad more

that's about it...if you are always looking back, you'll never see where your going.....

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

don't take anything for granted. don't always say I will do such'n'such tomorrow. look around at your circle of friends and Family to see who seems to have it made. unless they inherited a bunch or won the lottery find out how they did it. don't be afraid to try something different, take some chances. remember that age will catch up with you. so, regularly put money in some kind of savings account. don't ever use it to impulse buy some fancy part, etc. working in a small shop is great but, having good benefits and paid holidays are a good thing. there is a lot that you can learn here, and stuff that you can share to teach others. have fun but, don't end up along side the road stuck in a ditch.

27. Me personally, if I could go back. I would work on the drilling rigs around here (Busy area for oil production), you don't need any education to speak of or experience. I would work my ass off and save the money wisely. If a person was careful with the money, you could retire by the time your 35. (woudn't be able to spend money foolishly in retirement but you you'd be ok).

28. Larry T

Larry T

Benno,
    I've gotta say, I don't know many folks that run/ran a one man shop that retired at an early age. So working for youself has some advantages and definately has some disadvantages.

Your right on target about getting some business training. It's kind of hard to try to outrun your bills to the end of the month without knowing what's going on, let alone having enough money left to eat.

As far as making your hobby your occupation, I guess I'd still rather work on Hot Rods and Harleys than do anything else but it sure takes the magic out of things. I'll walk by a nice ride and just glance at it where as I would have used to have taken hours checking it out.

Well, I guess I'd better finish buttoning up the Panhead I've been working on but I really don't feel like it. :D
    Larry T

29. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

When/IF you get married, find a woman who likes cars, or atleast doesn't mind them. Its a lot funner if your spouse can enjoy it with you, rather than her feel like she is competing for time between you and your hobby.

30. I wouldn't want to be 24 again in today's world.:rolleyes:

But if I could go back to when I was 24, I would try to find a way to make a living that was fun and wasn't work. "If you love what you do, you won't work a day in your life.".....I don't know who first said it.