Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long Island drag racing in the 60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by refried confusion, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Da Flash

Da Flash

Hey Refried !!! I was at one of those tracks numerous times but don't remember now which one. I thought it was called Long Island Dragway. Any way I have quite a few slides of the racing out there. Several out of town cars like very quick Mustangs and injected Mopars came from Michigan. I also have photos of a '65 Mustang GT at the Ford dealer on Old Country Rd. in Hicksville. It was going to be running the road course out on the Island. Da Flash

2. Da Flash

Da Flash

Thats Tri-Power OOOOppps

3. jimvette59

jimvette59

He built a triple 97 two barrel for a friend Bob Nachese for his FLATHEAD. His last build. RIP BOBBY

4. I think the cookie factory may be a goner... they were actually good cookies. The track was just west of Islip Ave and south of the south Spur Drive. The pit entrance was just south of the Exxon station on Islip Ave, which might be named something else now.

I was at the drag strip a couple of times.... the crowd was practically on top of the track on a good afternoon.

Bob

5. RACE ROD

RACE ROD

Marty Himes is alive and well , Still has the museum . Tha Himes Museum 15 ONeil Ave Bay Shore New York 11706 631-666-4912 theheimesmuseum.vze.com Check it out its worth the trip .

6. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Yea I use to go quite often, my father and his partner ran there back in the 50's, and 60's,I ran there a couple of times , the first time I went I was 2 back in 56,my father's partner lived 2 blocks north of the parkway I use to get in for free when I was in my teens.

7. jimvette59

jimvette59

He is involved with restoring some of the old stock cars that ran at Islip Speedway.

8. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Connecting highway was the place!!!!

9. Marty is also the last person to drive a stock car at Islip Speedway. This event happened just prior to the track being torn up.

He heard the place was going to be razed, so he loads up an Offy midget and tows over to the track. The track had to be swept and debris removed first. Once done, Marty proceed to run the midget. Of course someone calls Suffolk's finest and they arrive. They all knew Marty and waited for him to be done. The objective was to run the car until it ran out of gas, which was accomplished.

Bob

10. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

I used to go to Islip when I was a kid...funky track..but a lot of fun
    I remember seeing a Henry j altered that had a masonite floor!
    THEY LET HIM RUN!!! Hey..it was only an 1/8 mile track!?!?
    unky d