Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

Rustoleum... a few minutes on the first 3 coats, then I got tied up and it was probably an hour for the 4th.... dang it!

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Was it the high performance enamel ? That the only rutoleum i use, ive had troubles with other stuff. The column still hasnt been started. Got the parts layin around. But ive been busy all weekend with a huge party for the ravens and yesterday was my 21st bday. Hopefully back at it today tho

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Good to hear from ya buzz ! Sorry guys. No progress today. Ran outta propane a few days back, and its about 12 degrees reg temp here. Its damn cold

4. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

Who gives a shit about your grammer? We are HotRodders not English teachers! I have the same problem typing my brain sometimes dont work as fast as my hands and my fingers are size 16

Rod

5. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

BTW. Hey Green Grenade, did you download that welding calculator for your smart phone?

Rod

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

1) It was too cold with the previous coat which never cured and never offgassed and caused the new layer to wrinkle. BTW: if the temp of the spraycan was hot while the object was cold or visa versa (between coats) this can happen.

2) You missed the window for recoating. Nnot sure what Rustoleum recommends, but I think after a certain period of time you actually have to wait 72 hours.

3) It somehow got contaminated between coats.

7. 1959apache

1959apache

hey dude, finally posted some pics of that seat. Do you have a pair of seat rails and a connecting rod from your old seat that aren't bent to shit like mine are. I am pretty sure I can tie a string to each end and make a bow out of it to shoot stuff around the garage :D

8. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Happy 21st man, never knew you were so young. Enjoy it while you can!

Hey, I have an adjustable slider for a bench seat that works ok now, if given some attention it would probably work like a charm. Its from the seat that came with my truck, I think its an early 70's truck seat.

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Damn 59 that seat looms. Great. And no my rails were cut. Im just hard mounting my seat with a custom mount. The cross string piece and arm are still in great shape if you want em ?

10. 1959apache

1959apache

Is it the same seat rail that is on my pickup?

Is the cross mount bent to hell? Mine is and it is weak from being tempered back and forth from being previously bent. I will wind up replacing my arm with one of those sexy chrome ones lol. how about we trade for seat patterns for the cross piece if it is good?

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY, so what do you remember of the weekend?! lol

11. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Man, just scrolled through your whole build and it looks like its going to come out real nice. Can't beat the look of an old Apache, thats for sure.

Keep up the good work!

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks shaun ! And 59 ill have to take a look at the cross piece. As far as the weekend goes i was super busy saturday and partied sunday, whole area is goin nuts over the ravens. I turned 21 tuesday and ive had to work all so i havent gotten to really go.out yet lol. Got some moonshine from a girl at work for a gift tho. So that was awesome lmao

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

It was just white rustoleum in the can! :(

That was friday or saturday... I wet sanded it yesterday and it was kinda gummy!! What the crap??

14. dubie

dubie

it was sprayed to heavy without leaving the right amount of time between coats. The solvent in the paint doesn't get enough time to evaporate or flash off. Using paint that doesn't have a hardener added to it causes slow flash times. When I sprayed my 67 GMC with blue Rustoleum in a Wagner sprayer, it still had a light tack feel to it a week later because I pounded the paint on. It helps if you have a box fan to move the air around it

15. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

That I could not say. I could try to take some pics if that will help you. Just shoot me a PM if you want.

16. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Hey 59, checked out the seat components. There banged up all to hell. Didnt realize how bad everything was..... Sorry dude

17. 1959apache

1959apache

That's okay bro, I'm a pretty thrifty dude, I will find something. Do you still want those seat patterns?

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I have no idea what im gonna do with that seat yet man

19. TheDayDreamer

TheDayDreamer
    from Phoenix

Hey Green, how wide is that 9" axle that you have? What car and year did it come from?

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Its out of a 78 f150 4x4. I had to shorten one side 3.5 inches to center the "pumpkin" since its offset for the transfer case. It worked out perfect, the f150 axle is exactly 3.5 inches wider than a stock apache axle, so the 3.5 inches i took out to center the pumpkin also made the axle almost exactly same as the stocker for my truck. Plus theres an assload of 73-79 ford parts for cheap. $125 in running shape for that axle

21. n847

n847

Did you have to narrow the axle? I was told you could just get an extra axle from the short side. I also heard that shorter axle was a little more stout? I've heard somthing similiar about ranger axles. You can put 2 of the passenger side axles because the drivers side was a weaker axle? Thats what I was told any way!

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yeah i believe you can use various stock 9 inch short side axle shafts when you narrow the long side of a 4x4 axle. I actually ended up sending mine to moser to get shortened and re splined, but turned out that they couldnt shorten that shaft due to the taper. So they cut me a deal on a brand new shaft

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I got the rocker and lower hinge pocket tacked in and had to make a small patch in the front crease because it had broken loose. Sorry for the lack of updates lately lol

Attached Files:

24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Damn phone app..... Heres more pics

Attached Files:

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Sorry fellas, progress delayed again. City is on fire up here, SUPER BOWL CHAMPS !!!!!!!!!! Should start on the d/s floor patch and then the column wed.

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

We Want Column Pics!!!! :D hahahaha

Patches went it good!! Nice work there. I had to do the same thing on the Uh-Patch-EE!!!

28. Rob2455

Rob2455
    from sudbury

i've been checking your build pretty regularly, nice work you have a skill for this! I'm buildn a 55 3100 right now and just did my colunm easy peasy, find the length you need cut your outer tube off leaving aprox 1.5" outside the firewall. Now get your self a 6203-3/4-2RS bearing fits perfect, about 7/8" from the bottom of the tube make 2 small cuts 180 from each other tap the top side above the slit in a little with a punch this will stop the bearing from sliding up the tube. Now you can simply crimp the bottom of the tube and the bearing is stayin put. to hold the shaft i compressed the spring topside of the column marked the shaft at the bearing slid it out and cut a grove for a snap ring worked great and took about an hour.

29. BAM55

BAM55

Everything is looking great buddy.

30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks guys, chad column pics finally !!!!! Well a start at least. I didnt have time to get welding gas today since.i was at the super bowl party at the stadium. I did get the driver side floor patch ready to weld in tomorrow. And you can see how the upper half of the column will go together. I caught hell finding pipe caps so i just cut down a larger one, hole saw in the center and that slips over the outer column tube. The steering shaft rides in the bearing on either end. Btw the steering shaft is from borgeson for a 55-57 chevy car. It comes with the lower end splined and the upper is the universal gm spline count for there steering wheels, i just needed to pick up a nut to bolt the wheel on. I am also going to use this weldable collar to make my upper mount, something similar to the last pic. Ill weld it all up and show you the lower end of the column tomorrow

Attached Files: