Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Name a used part you paid too much for but "just had to have"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belairbubble, Dec 18, 2012.

1. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Cragar FE mag drive timing cover........

2. The stupid money I spent on having these 2 pitted Ranch Wagon scripts filled & re-plated and then I broke one and spent stupid money fixing my mistake,,,but they needed to be on the car! HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

..;)..

Attached Files:

4. 5window

5window

Worse thing, it's just decorative. But, I paid $50 for a AAA badge and bracket from an old defunct AAA club that's my home township. Since there are only about 5000 in the township now, the club just couldn't have been very big,ever. I have only ever seen three porcelain badges and two aluminum badges-I own 40%.

Attached Files:

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

I paid $137 for this old Nicson air cleaner about three years ago & could barely sleep that night thinking about all the money a spent on a stinkin' air cleaner. When I put it on the car, all my anxiety vanished. About three months ago I saw another go on Epay for $340. If ya like it, buy it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I actually have a little will power (OK, sometimes very little), and considering that I presently have 9 427 Fords (down from 10), I manage to wheel and deal into that kind of stuff pretty reasonable. Probably the most expensive thing for what it is would be the "Baby" Rushmore gas brass headlight that I bought for my '47 Indian Chief bobber- paid $300 for it. If you've never seen a Rushmore light, think about the big brass headlights on old steam locomotives- and looks a little like a brass diver's hat. I have a modern halogen headlight assembly that will fit right inside of the Rushmore body when I take the lense and gas burner out of it- it even has a chimney to let the burned gas out, and I can run the wires in thru the gas pipe at the bottom. It actually looks very much like a Spreadlight, but in brass.
    Forgot a couple- I found a '47 CA motorcycle license plate for the bobber- if you're into old bikes in CA, you know the '47 plate is a hen tooth- cost me $300.
    Looked for a '28 CA motorcycle plate for my '28 Indian Four for 5 years, and found a cherry one last spring, on my birthday :p- $400. Frikken' bikes :rolleyes:

7. Cortney

Cortney

Didn't really pay too much, but, I just bought an early sbc Edelbrock Torker intake manifold that I don't need. I just wanted it because it has the oil fill tube and so I can run my 64 283 valve covers!

8. Adran

Adran

$830 shipped for a crusty old wide-ratio 4 speed Ford Top Loader out of a late 60s Mustang. Came with a crusty bellhousing, crusty shifter, crusty clutch linkage, some random crusty hardware and a flywheel and clutch to boot. The real kicker was that the only thing in decent enough condition to use was the shifter, bellhousing, and the transmission itself (after a total overhaul of all parts, of course). Now I run across them on Craigslist, sometimes already rebuilt, but almost always less than what I paid.

And of course my '63 Fairlane that I shelled out $4200 for in the hopes that I was getting a classic daily driver. It was only later that I discovered the immense amounts of bondo under the aging paint job, and the poorly-repaired rust damage under the battery tray. It's now just an overpriced project car sitting in my driveway, but no WAY was it worth what I paid. But lemme tell you, the day I bought it, with the way the mid-afternoon summer sun was hitting that old metalflake paint after just being washed, I couldn't give the guy my money fast enough.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. mattrod68

mattrod68

you dont even want to know...

[​IMG]

10. mark 55

mark 55

I hope Doc sees this thread.

11. I picked up a really Bitchin instrument cluster from an early 50's Chrysler Imperial for about $450. Plan on using it in my '29 Chrylser 5w Coupe, but it may just turn into wall art.

BTW, the Chrysler is getting a 354 HEMI and a 5 speed. HEMI is already built. Now I need to spring for the adapter plate to bolt up the 5 speed. Can't see myself parting with $700 for just an adapter plate! Cough, Cough.

Once I get more vaseline, I'll fork over the $700.

12. jesse1980

jesse1980

A super duty scoop for my Catalina.

13. geoking

geoking

Do you want 2 more? pm me. I know where they are!
    QUOTE=Mike Miller;8453610]A 1933 Dodge four door body.[/QUOTE]

14. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Appleton Spotlights

15. historynw

historynw

I own Mopars some people think every part was made for some 1 of 1 hemi 4dr convertible coupe with a 4 speed od. Ex: Fender antenna hole plug 150 -200, really. I should have bought 10 of them.

16. This 57 Lloyd. I actually paid $500 for it and another $500 to have it shipped to me...and now it sits beside the house behind a privacy fence...
    It's getting rustier and rustier every day...no motor/trans.
    Now has a very mean racoon living in the back seat.

Attached Files:

17. C3DB-6204371-B Falcon Futura radio delete plate:

[​IMG]

The $150.00 + shipping I paid included a broken/missing mounting stud......
    Three weeks later I saw one go for $48.00 on Egay.....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  18. paintcan54

paintcan54

Picked up a SBC Edelbrock cross ram manifold with linkage for my T Bucket, a year ago was going to use it, now it sets on a chair in the garage I keep telling the wife I still might use it. Then again??