Register now to get rid of these ads!

1938 Ford coupe questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Pete

Pete

Which year fenders interchange with '38 coupe?? Is it just '37 and '38?? Front and rears??

Pete-

2. mr.32

mr.32

Standard or deluxe?

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Pretty sure the '38 coupe rear fenders are unique and wont interchange with '37 or '39.

4. lht

lht

i have a 38 with 37 front end 38 rears i think the 38 rear fenders look better thats just me though

5. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

37 Ford front fenders may fit but are not the same, 38 is absent the "crown" at the top. And I think comment about 38 coupe rear fenders is correct, longer than 37.

6. fenderhead

fenderhead
    from Stevens PA

I have a couple extra sets of front fenders for a 38 Ford Standard. I would need to get up in the garage attic to take some pcs if you are interested. 717-201-9522 is my cell if you want to talk live.

7. Pete

Pete

Ok....

So it seems like the '38 Ford coupe front and rear fenders are one year only ...BUT....'37's will bolt on but look slightly different?? Yes?

P.S

Fenderhead, I sent you a PM and I will call you.

8. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

'37 front will not interchange unless you also use 37 grill and side panels and hood.

I think that like others said, '38 coupe rears are one year only and I don't believe that '37 coupe fenders will bolt on.

9. Thirtyeight

Thirtyeight

Been putting a "WANTED" ad on this and many other sites for a '38 Conv. Drivers Side Rear Fender for my '38 Conv. just about hard as finding lips for a Chicken. In '38 the only fenders will fit a Coupe or Conv. are a 1938 Ford Coupe or Convt. but if you find someone with extra I'd like to know..............

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Fiberglass fenders are available.

11. Thirtyeight

Thirtyeight

Fill in the blank, whip you *** with fiberglass................

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thats what I thought too, for the first couple years we couldnt find any nice rear fenders for my dads 38 coupe so we changed our minds about that and now he is driving it.

13. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Front fenders and lower cowl attachment area for a 38 standard versus 38 deluxe are different.
    Rears may be as well. My understanding is a 39 Standard and 38 Deluxe are pretty much the same and 38 Standard was pretty much the same as 37s.
    I believe 38 convs only came as Deluxe but the experts on this level of detail are on FordBarn.

14. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Yep, I'd take driving with glass fenders over searching and waiting for the needle in a hay stack any day.

15. '38 was the first year to have the taillights in the fenders instead of on a stand bolted to the fender.

16. Pete

Pete

Oh my.....a lot to remember here.

I have a VERY NICE passenger rear, maybe I should sell it and just by a pair of glass rears??

17. Thirtyeight

Thirtyeight

Hunting for hard to find anything is a big part of this hobby for me at least and putting any fiberglass on my 75 year old steel Convertible would be absolutely rude.............. the best glass fenders are $470 less shipping way to expensive for a "make due" part. An S-10 Frame after all there easy to find too but I would't put an ond Ford on one.

18. Thirtyeight

Thirtyeight

Hunting for hard to find anything is a big part of this hobby for me at least and putting any fiberglass on my 75 year old steel Convertible would be absolutely rude.............. the best glass fenders are $470 less shipping way to expensive for a "make due" part. An S-10 Frame after all there easy to find too but I would't put an ond Ford on one.

19. Pete

Pete

I certainly wont give up looking....Ill hunt down a driver rear fender.

20. coupeute

coupeute

I'm not sure about '38s but I know that '37 coupes and two door sedans have different rear fenders.

21. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Alrighty then, well good luck in you hunt. Im sure there are some out there.
    About a year ago Dick Spadaro had 1 NOS right rear for sale. I dont know what he wanted for it though. Maybe he still has it.

22. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Good luck....

23. Pete

Pete

If steel ones become too hard to find, bet your ass Ill bolt on some glass while the hunt continues, the car wont sit idle with a missing fender...

Pete-

24. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Is it a standard or deluxe?

I believe that 38 deluxe front fenders are the same as 39 standard, but I don't think that 38 std and deluxe interchange.

25. Excellent question for fordbarn.com.

Charlie Stephens

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

No help here but I'll watch for a correct answer. I've got a '38 Deluxe coupe and I wouldn't mind having a spare set of fenders on hand just incase I have the misfortune of a texting or cell phone user decide to use my car for a stop barrier.:mad:

Frank

27. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The fronts are probably not nearly as hard to come by as the rears, they made probably 1/2 a million cars for 38. But since the coupe rears are unique and I think they only made like 75000 coupes/convertibles. That's a pretty hard to find fender.

28. Don't be wrecking my damn '38 Frank!

..... & yes, '38 Deluxe rear fenders are unique for that year/model.

JH

29. Pete

Pete

Good info here for sure.

Here's a pic of the rear that came with the car. I was told the peak above the headlight area is more "round" on the '38's but will the '37 fenders work on a '38???

I also noticed the 37 and 38 hood are very different, the 37 doesnt have that lower lip/ reveal.

Pete-

Attached Files:

30. Pete

Pete

OK,

So I purchased a pair of headlight lenses from e-bay, just got them and I think they are the wrong ones....???

Im only saying this because the rings I have dont fit the lenses but Im not 100% sure I have the correct rings..

The car came with a box of parts and in the box were two headlight lenses, one was broken....

What it the correct P/N for a 1938 Ford lens?? The ones that came with the car have a small 81A on the bottom and the new ones I just purchased have a 91A...they are very different.

Pete-