Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hudson Help- rocker rust on a step down

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ckolloff, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ckolloff

ckolloff

So I'm about a heartbeat away from pulling the trigger on buying this '53 Hudson Hornet. It has some rocker rust that really concerns me because of the "unibody" style construction used in these cars. Could those of you that are familiar with these cars check out the picture of the passenger side rocker and let me know your thoughts? Is the rocker itself a structural part of the perimeter frame or are they easily patched replaced?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

PS- This is my first time trying to attach a picture to a forum post so please work with me...I'm better with a wrench than a keyboard!

Attached Files:

2. ckolloff

ckolloff

Trying to keep this on the first page so some Hudson folks see it. Is there a better place to post the type of question?

3. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

sent you a message

4. The sills are not as big an issue as the suspension mounting points and the subframe rails. If those are swiss-cheesed, you are going to have to fabricate parts to fix these areas. Some of the floor panels are being repopped now.

5. My '51 has some very thin rockers. I haven't done anything as far as repair and I've had the car on the road since '05 with no issues. I would like to fix them at some point. I don't think you're in as big a structural problem as you think.

6. thats just a rocker cover that unbolts, not structural. Its whats underneath the cover that matters. Look under the on the outside of the rear tire - perimeter frame. If that is toast, its $$$$ to fix and big problems. if thats fine, probably the rest of the rust is minimal. I fixed a rusty 52 4 door, will never do that again. Buy a rust free builder and be done.

7. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

there was some talk on the hudson forum about replacment fiberglass rocker panels, not sure if it ever came to being. like evryone said since it has rust you can see here check the rest carefully. good luck.

8. i would find a restoration guy in your area and pay him to look at the car for you. see if the owner will let you take it to the expert to give you an estimate on what it will cost to repair. good bargaining chip.

9. ckolloff

ckolloff

Lots of good advice. The car is quite a distance from me so if I go to check it out, I'm bringing a trailer. I just want to know what I'm looking at before I drop a couple hundred on diesel fuel.

Snailslayer (or anyone else) could you give me some more direction as to what to look/watch for on these cars. Common problem areas.

10. GrimGreaser

GrimGreaser

Look closely at the perimeter frame, behind the lower rockers in your picture, follow it back to the rear wheels. It runs just above the wheel opening. You'll have to get on the ground and look under the car.

11. ckolloff

ckolloff

I will check this area thoroughly. If the perimeter frame looks good on the outside, is it generally safe to assume it is OK, or do these hold moisture and rot from inside out?How thick should the steel be in this area?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP EVERYONE!!!

12. Ramblur

Ramblur

Couple quick pics cause I'm short on time,but here's mine so you can get a visual. Nice thing is the rear quarters unbolt from the car...

stress cracks/rust around rear fuel tank strap mounting points. Check all along where the trunk pan meets the rear pan.
    [​IMG]

Perimeter frame and inner frame rail shown here in the area that the fuel fill neck goes through the trunk floor. Take a good look at the trunk pan in
    the area over top the inner frame rail all the way to the back of the rear seat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the perimeter rail with my rusted section removed. This would be directly over the rear skirt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As has been said the rocker panel is not structural but hides the perimeter rail so look at the inner rocker that is the back of the perimeter
    rail.

The Hudson is really a well engineered/built car and I hope this works out for you. Love my Hudson...

[​IMG]

13. The pictures Ramblur posted are a nice representation of "mild" rust. Mine was more severe requiring the entire frame rail to be fabricated. Pics I attached show the rocker attached and the corresponding rust under the A piller in the rocker. then the rockers covers unbolted, and the rocker underneath. then the perimeter frame without the quarter panel on.

You really need picturers of under the car to feel good about buying it long distance/ without seeing it first.

Attached Files: