Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving Me Crazy... Kids...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 23, 2013.

1. jroberts

jroberts

I have three granddaughters and think about this constantly. I am going to have to look into the way you put the latch for the youngest one's car seat that will solve that problem. The other two are older (9 and 5) and don't need a car seat. I have put three point belts in the front and the rear of the '65 Studebaker. It is a four door making things a bit easier. We modified a set of Juliano's belts for the car. I took the 9 and 5 year old for a ride the the last time they were here. We had a blast! I know what will be first on their list of things to do with gramps the next time they're here. And I'm looking forward to it.

2. Driver awareness is the best safety feature any car can have,
    You've got that nailed.

Nobody will ever remember the soccer moms in their mini cans,
    but people will still talk about those Cochran kids getting
    dropped off in those cool old cars.

3. chigger

chigger

First off, Ryan awesome write up. Many it seems feel the same way. Brad wrote up just as I feel and as I look forward to with my little one. I have a niece that loves working on the car and riding around with me. I even caught her doing the arm on the sill, just like me. I couldn't help it but to let her drive around the yard. You should have seen the smile on her face.... Priceless.

Anyone have pictures or ideas for latch anchors or belt anchors as Ryan was talking about?
    Have any recommendations for seatbelt manufacturer over another?

Thanks

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Safety belts and padded dashes are making our kids sissies......kids should ride in the package trays and standing on the center console armrest.

Calm down, I'm joking....sort of.

5. My grandson can't wait until he's big enough to be in the roadster - I've got lap belts but that's not good enough for my d-in-law adn I have just not got around to putting in shoulder belts as of yet ....

I do remember driving around in my trio of early 60s Chevies (a 62 409 car, 64 Impala, and 66 Impala - we didn't have a newer car) with lap belts and all kinds of seats/restraints back in the early 80s!

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the day the number of cars on the road was a fraction of today.

You got that right. We were taught "one car length per 10 mph". Can you imagine that spacing now? New rule is "if car fits, it's OK to squeeze in."

See above. Far fewer cars on road.

Amen, brother.

Good advice. She can raise her kids how she wants . . .

I happen to live in a relatively low populated country setting. I’m never in traffic. I’m never on freeways. I deal with four or five stop lights – tops. And right or wrong, this makes me feel much more comfortable with the arrangement.

Oh, you're right. All the difference in the world. You live in a relatively low density area. I approve. :)

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For one I think as rodders and custom car owners and drivers the majority of us practice defensive driving at a lot higher scale than the vast majority of other drivers.

Secondly if you haul kids or grandkids you usually go to the trouble of solidly mounting seat belts and there are some well made seats out there for kids to sit in that aren't just launching capsules but real safety seats. I saw a Recaro kids car seat the other day that looked better than most seats in most cars.

Along with installing seat belts in the back I'd think guys should look at making sure that the back seats are more secure in the car. If you watch that video of the 59 Chevy in the crash again watch what happens with the back seat cushions. That was the norm in a crash with 50's cars, if you hit head on or hit something the rear cushion popped loose and bounced around in the back seat. You can usually grab those cushions with one hand and give them a jerk and they come out while cushions in later cars require using a tool to get them out and then it's a fight.

Staying strapped in well still trumps bouncing around in the car or being thrown out. I've seen too many cars over the past few years that had rolled over on the interstate here in the valley and had the driver or a passenger killed because they were thrown out and the vehicle could have been rolled back on it's wheels and driven off in most cases.

8. pila38

pila38

Well...I love hot rods. I love driving in them. I want my kids to love them to. That said, their safety comes before my pleasure and they ride in late model cars. No matter how defensive I drive when their in the car, some other asshole can still hit me. When they are big enough to be in a booster seat, then I think they can ride in a hot rod. That is not taking away from what any of you do, its just how I feel about it.

9. Abomination

Abomination

I'd love to see some folks post pics of their seat belt/LATCH additions. There's more than one way to skin a cat. :)

~Jason

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm not advocating this, just saying what we did. 35 years ago before the safety police, my step son fell asleep hugging my future wife on the way home from a rod run in our 34 P/U no seat belts for anybody. I look back and think what were we thinking. We weren't. Her blouse was soaked with sweat. No A/C either.:D It was a different time. Now everybody can call me names.

My buddy built a connestoga wagon type shelter for his 37 Chevy P/U and carried 3 kids from MD to Memphis Tenn. and back in the bed. You'd get arrested for that today. It was 100 degrees every day.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

12. 4dsrus

4dsrus

Great info, one thing with seatbelts in the old cars. I was on a rescue squad for 25 years and the seatbelts should never be attached to the frame, only the body as in an accident when the body is torn from the frame the seat belt becomes the body attaching point and tears the belted person in two where if only attached to the body it stays as one unit and goes with the body and in my experience on the rescue the crash victim was in much better shape. 4dsrus

13. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It is scary to me to think that some of those posting here actually believe what they are saying. You as a father, grandfather, whomever, as the operator of a vehicle with passengers of any age, are obligated to do your part in keeping everyone safe. It is NOT always the other guys fault. Just because you drive a 30's, 40's, or 50's vehicle is no reason to base your mentality in that same era. The last I checked, it is 2013.

14. 3ree 5trips

3ree 5trips

Letting them drive is the easiest and most responsible option.

Attached Files:

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I let my kids drive around with me in the truck bed. I think they'll remember the fun times forever. I couldn't care less about the stink eyes from the Volvo and Caravan-driving parents. They don't get it, and are probably jealous anyway.

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

My kid loves the hot rod.

Attached Files:

17. All 3 of my kids grew up in a less than safe environment of an old car. Hell, I grew up in old cars that were new at the time that are not considered safe by today’s standards, but I digress.... I did my best to secure baby seats for the kids when they were young, but they were hard to get in the make shift back seat of my 40. I always drive my old cars with the knowledge that they are inherently dangerous and therefor I try to be that much more cautious, especially when my kids were with me.<O:pMy kids are grown now and they have great memories of those by gone days, but looking back it probably wasn't the smartest thing I ever did. <O:pI have a granddaughter now and my wife and I bought her a new car seat. What a contraption that thing is. It has a base that the seat attaches to and then it can be used in a stroller too.......Jeezuz, how times have changed. I don't see my granddaughter going for a ride in the 40 for many years, and that's kind of a shame.<O:p

18. cecce

cecce
    from Sweden

Haven't read all posts, but I basically agree with Ryan. Back roads, defensive… No: DEFENSIVE driving.
    Driving a kid younger than 12 in a a car without seatbelts is illegal in Sweden. I still do, but don't tell anyone… Putting him on a bike and riding at 80 mph is legal though, and he doesn't even have to wear a helmet like adults have to. I don't do that.

Attached Files:

19. Levi Garrett

Levi Garrett

What a great write up! Albeit I don't have kids, yet, I have been operating under this same premise. Despite how often the odds seem to be stacked against vintage iron and people like us who enjoy driving it, if there is a will there is a way. If only more people thought like this...

20. autobilly

autobilly

My kids dig only having old cars. It's one of few opportunities for kudos (in their eyes) to me when their friends and the public dig them too.

21. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Just had harnesses put in the back seat of my 62 Coupe Deville for the old car seat....

22. 59 brook

59 brook

Recent events point out that god has his ow plan for each of us. I have don wbat i can to make my wagon safe including better brakes seat beltsfor 6, and better head and taillights. We have gone all overi in the wagon and im sure my kids will always remember. The little one still likes the wagon over moms mustang and wants to do the long haul on this years hot rod power tour

23. I've always taken my kids in my old cars and always been concerned with safety.

Here is a pic of my oldest from 2001. The non-hamb freindly car was an '87 Buick Turbo T. The car ran 10.70's had just been featured in Hot Rod. When the pic was taken,we were on our way the the local Friday night cruise.

uploadfromtaptalk1358977202317.jpg

I used to get lots of looks lifting Allison out around the roll cage.
    :cool:

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

24. I have really enjoyed reading this thread,,

My personal experience is our twin girls were raise riding in the back seat of a 40 Ford sedan as that was my wife's daily driver from the age of a few months old until the were in their pre teens.

We brought our oldest granddaughter home from the hospital in a '39 Ford Convertible.

Our Grandson came home the same way.

Our most recent granddaughter,Veda came home in a '32 Ford sedan,,but what would you expect her to ride in with a name like that.

I drive my old cars as much as possible and always enjoy taking the grandkids but I do tend to be a little more of an adult and act my age when they are with me instead of the hoodlum kid trapped in this ol graybeard body!:D HRP

25. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

i drive my new yorker everyday, and my 4 year old rides in it every day to school. he gets pissed when he has to ride in mom's late model. you are right, those damn car seats DO take up alot of room. you would think a giant wagon has lots of room, put 2 carseats and on infant carrier in it! space disappears pretty quick. of course, ours is all backroad driving and deal with about 3 stoplights like you. crazy as it sounds to some, my wife feels better about my 3 boys (4,2,and 4months) being in my wagon than her car.

26. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

My kids love driving around the '57 Safari probably more than Mom's Ford Flex. No DVD players to entertain them, but since they sit up high, they have lots of windows to look out. Not to mention chrome ashtrays to hid small toys in...

Attached Files:

27. shadams

shadams

Awesome write up, awesome thread. Great stories and pics. Expecting our first the end of May and cant wait till she's old enough to enjoy rides. Sure I'll be scared to death but some of my best memories are of driving with my Mom or Dad.

28. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Driving in my family HotRods ARE my best memories. Especially in back of the pickups.

I want to make sure my kids have the same memories, they're Bitchen Memories.

The MPV seat in my coupe, I paid $10 for on CL, came with a passenger seat belt. My T had the car seat straped through & around the whole back of the body.

Attached Files:

29. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

And wait ... there's more!

Wait until you're compelled to sell your cherished hot rod, or custom to pay for the next year in college -- or med school. It will truly put the value of old cars in perspective for you.

30. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For what it's worth, my 38 Chevrolet hasn't moved under it's own power since the mid 80's and my kids that are in their 30's still remember the rides and talk about their kids (my grandkids) gettin to ride in it, there were seat belts in the front (a coupe) but the kids just rode behind the seat and thought it was great. I also had a 67 El Camino with the seat out of a Pontiac that had a fold down arm rest that they rode on, they called it the "bump" and liked it because they could see out so much better. A year ago my youngest rolled her Toyota SUV and my granddaughter came out without a scratch because she was strapped in a car seat. I still shudder a little thinking about what could have happened to my kids back then. Guess I will strap 'em in when I can and rides in the 38 will be short.