Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 223 Turbocharger set ups???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snailhouse_projects, Jan 22, 2013.

1. snailhouse_projects

snailhouse_projects

Hey Guys! i had a real close friend come to me yesterday and asked me if i could help him turbocharge his 54 mainline. i looked at the motor and thought " yeah i can do it". I have been turbocharging racecars for 8 years now and there is really nothing that cant be done (with out direct port fuel injection) I have done 2 carb set ups, but finding a 4 bbl blowthrough carb is fairly easy. but i would assume that finding a 1 or 2 bbl blow through would be a good challenge.
    next thing is fuel, on all the setups that i have done, we use programmers like BIG STUFF, Aem, Motech etc to take care of tuning. i have seen some turbo setups that are really simple, and tuning is easily done by running low boost of around 5psi. my take on running the low boost is you won't have the fuel chasing the airflow in the air fuel ratios.

that being said, does anyone know where i could get a blowthrough carb that will mate up with the stock intake manifold? and is there anyone that has done this set up on a ford inline 6?

thanks
    Barnabie
    TFFT

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

got any pictures?????????pictures????

3. snailhouse_projects

snailhouse_projects

pictures of what? the 54 or the previous set ups?

4. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

previous set ups and the 54 if you took any....sounds pretty cool...like to see...

5. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Outta curiosity how much boost?

I'd be a little scared to run much on a 4-bolt main......

6. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

check out fordsix.com , there are several on the forum that turbocharge the small falcon six and the big 240/300. there is a section on their site for the 223 engine and a turbo thread. not sure of the bottom end of the 223 but the early small falcon six with 4 mains is hitting it's limit at about 7 pounds of boost. at least one member ran 20#s through a stock 200 cube 7 main and beat on it till he had some detonation and toasted the motor.

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Here's some candy...

Attached Files:

8. eviltex

eviltex
    from el paso tx

Yeah man you better figure it out! Ha I was told I could have that turbo for free since I did some roofing work on his house, also he said he had a side draft triumph 2barrrel carb and intake manifold I'm going to go check out today.. I'll take pictures of them.. After being on this site for about ten years maybe ill have a picture tread about a car... Haha

9. You are aware that you donot have to run it blow through. Set it up like a corvair with a draw through setup. yes you get a little lag but this is not a race car to start with.

Way easier to find a carb setup that way. Keep your boost low that old ford won't take near the beating that we would like to think it would.

10. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

From reading your post, the set up would be an easy one.

This is a GM inline 250 with a small Holley 2300 350cfm 2bbl carb. The turbo is off of a 87 Buick Grand National. The boost never goes over 10psi and is really well mannered.

PM me if you have any questions.

[​IMG]

11. eviltex

eviltex
    from el paso tx

Here is the stock set up

Attached Files:

12. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

WOW that's WILD!!!!way COOL on the pictures...

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

love how you can see the HEAD STUDS.... thats great!.

14. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

Man, you got a good eye! Helps keep it from blowing out.

15. snailhouse_projects

snailhouse_projects

What?!? i didnt know that you had an account on here!!! we need to know what carb and turbo adapter that is in the picture posted and the fab work is easy. i would figure that we will not exceed 5psi on the boost side.

16. pigpin75

pigpin75

1959 223 inline 6, set at 5-6 psi for tuning. May turn it up to 8-10 psi after I get it A/F and the timing right. The turbo is a T3/t40E

I used a clifford intake with a holley 500. Made the exhaust manifold myself. Rebuild the head: 3 angle valve job, hardened valves seats, shaved .010, 67cc chambers, C/R 8.3-8.5:1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  17. pigpin75

pigpin75

Changed the head bolts to ARP studs. I also installed .022" steel head gasket coated in Hylomar Universal Blue. For fuel I use a inline electric fuel pump bosch and to adjust the fuel pressure to the boost I installed a Mallory #4309. stainless steel 3/8 fuel line with return fuel line to the fuel tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  18. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

I have a 223 in my 1962 unibody. I would love to turbo it. Did you get big power gain differences? And do you have any videos of it running?

19. Problem with any log type intake is that the fuel distribution cylinder to cylinder sucks. Ditching the carb for an EFI set-up would be the direction I would look at.

20. pigpin75

pigpin75

Have not got it out of the garage yet, but the power increase should be from 30-50% more torque then horse power. I have a couple of videos of me revving the motor and it at idle.

21. mitchsfab

mitchsfab

What kind of cam profile do you use or is it the stock cam?

22. pigpin75

pigpin75

Just stock for now.

23. greaseguy62

greaseguy62

Nice, where would I be able to find the vids, and maybe some more pics? Can't wait to see it goin down the road when its done.

24. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

Dammitt boy, that is awesome! I love to see blown inlines. We gotta talk. I have been running mine for about a year and logged over 1000 miles. I am just now getting a BOV and it tuned right. It takes awhile. Great build. Keep us posted.

25. willymakeit

willymakeit

Theres a guy in Spfld, that runs a GMC six,with aturbo and injection. He suprises a lot of import guys with it.
    He also was a record holder at B-ville, not sure of the class,over200 mph. great guy to talk to.
    Im interested in this for something Im doodling with in the garage, espc. a six.

26. magneto57

magneto57

Awesome...................rich

27. pigpin75

pigpin75

Thanks. I have followed your build on that other site. You have done a awesome job!!! And yes it does take a while.

28. PTO

PTO
    from CA

Easiest way would be to get an adapter plate and put a different carburetor.
    Let us know what you do and how it all turns out.

29. F100slick

F100slick

Hello pigpin75. I'm new to the board and I know this post is few years old, but I'm starting a project very similar to yours. I'm trying to leave my 61 slick original 223 as the power source. My builder is planning for a throttle body fuel injection turbo setup on the Clifford Performance intake and exhaust. I'm converting the 3ontree to auto for cruising. Any insights would be much appreciated.

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

McCulloch (Paxton) made a lot of blow thru centrifugal blowers using the stock carb. They would richen the main jets sometimes put seals on the throttle shaft and boost the incoming fuel pressure. Also run a pipe to pressurize the float bowl.
    Typically they ran 4 -5 pounds and claimed a 40% increase in HP. Some had a box around the carb (Kaiser and Studebaker) but most just had a bonnet or a rubber hose on top of the carb.
    Keeping the pressure down makes things a lot easier.

miker98038 likes this.