Register now to get rid of these ads!

florida tags??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captmullette, Jan 23, 2013.

1. captmullette

captmullette

i have a choice for a tag on my 31 A hotrod, which would be best, hotrod or antique ? thanks

2. HAMB friendly car- The Blue Antique one, just my $.02, TR

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. captmullette

captmullette

is there an advantage to one or the other,i.e. insurance ???

4. Fenders

Fenders

If SEMA is correct you cannot get an antique plate.

5. Yes Cap there was a good reason or two and I can't quite remember right now. I weighed the pros and cons of each and it was the BLUE one hands down.

Everyone I see in my area who has the RED tag, it's usually on a kit car, or Gold-Chainer Street Rod, Fiberglass T-bucket or something similiar.

6. Unless the state of Florida has changed just this year, we have BLUE- ANTIQUE or RED- STREET ROD tags/plates. The RED might read HOT ROD, I don't remember but I think it's STREET ROD. I have several BLUE- ANTIQUE ones right here on my Tool Chest, we definately have them, :D TR

7. Sad thing is many abuse the ANTIQUE tag/plate and register any 25 Y/O or older POS, just to save money on registration fees.

8. captmullette

captmullette

i think you are right, its street rod and antique.... thanks for the replies

9. Fenders

Fenders

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

According to the strictest sense of the word, an ANTIQUE plate is for a non modified car over 30 years old, and the STREET ROD plate is for either a modified old car or one built to look like an older car. There are some limitations on the use of a car with antique plates, such as limiting your driving to club events, parades, maintenance, and stuff like that. Not sure about the limitations on a Street Rodded plate car.

We run antique plates, simply because the folks at the local tax office gave us that option and I think they look better. :D If a person had antique plates and was ever questioned about where they were going, the answer is always that you just did some work and are test driving it. You know how these old cars are..........something is always breaking.

I also don't want my car being called a Street Rod.

Don

11. I'm pretty sure it's a Felony to have a HAMB vehicle with a STREET ROD license plate/tag. Texas around the Austin area from what I hear, life in prison with no chance of parole, TR

12. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Why not a year of manufacture tag? Hard to find but, they are out there.

13. upspirate

upspirate

I was given the option also of S/R or antique by the Fla DMV with no explanation or limitations of use.

I chose the antique.

The initial insurance people ran it through as an antique due to title paper work till their home office saw it was a rod and changed the classification and rates to the higher modified vehicle rate

14. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I run the horseless carriage on my 29 A coupe. Antique on my post-war tin.

15. Fenders

Fenders

That's what the SEMA page says....
    but if a clerk says antique is OK for a model A, why argue?

16. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Why pay more than once? HC is one time fee,no yearly registration or yellow sticker.

17. Find a year of manufacture or just an old plate, maybe one with your year (31) within the numbers.....the blue plates are fugly

18. upspirate

upspirate

I see what the law states...I guess the guy that titled mine didn't quite know the law!!! Thanks for posting that, I saved it for future use

19. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Pretty sure a YOM plate has to match the year of the vehicle. You can't put a 48 plate on a 34 vehicle.

20. George

George

No restrictions on the Antique tag. There's restrictions on street rod & Horseless carriage. S/R tag is for going to shows & Club meetings only & I believe the same on H/C, parades & such.

21. George

George

Exactly!

22. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Wish you could though. I have a couple of 40s-50s mint plates I'd like to run that aren't the exact year of my vehicle.

23. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i run a YOM on all my cars

24. Model T1

Model T1

Since moving to Floriduuuh I've had the Blue Antique tag on my yeller 41 Ford and a 1955 Florida tag on the 55 Chevy wagon. Been all over this state and a few others with no problems.
    Actually got stopped locally with both cars but the Cop was just checking them out. Kinda nice to know for sure they are legal.
    Of course the Antique Blue tag is cheaper.

25. Law Enforcement in Florida is very cool toward 99% of all Hot Rodders, but I can't see myself rollin down the Interstate 70 MPH with a Horseless Carriage plate and not expect some flack, sorry but that's pushin it.

The BLUE ANTIQUE tags have never been a issue ever, TR

26. captmullette

captmullette

looks like ill go for the blue antique, iv looked for a couple years for a 31 fla. tag but no joy.... thanks for info , good as usual

27. cryobug

cryobug

I had a 41 Ford ragtop with no bumpers once with a antique tag on it and had a Brevard County cop call me over while he was writing [SIZE=+0] [/SIZE]a speeding ticket to my friend in a chopped 35 Ford coupe and told me that my friend has a Hotrod tag and he doesn't need bumpers but since I had a antique tag I had to have them. I told him I was out of the money to plate them or they would be on the car so he gave me a month to put them on the car or he would stop me after that and ticket me. He latter bought a 20's Plymouth and wanted me to be his new best friend.

28. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Horseless carriage is legal on anything 1942 + older.

29. Here are the facts, " The vehicle must be for private Use only and be manufactured 1945 or earlier and equipped with a engine manufactured 1945 or earlier or manufactured to the specifications of the original engine ".

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  30. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

ok, so 1945 and earlier gotcha.