Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features They are still out there...my new 1934 ford pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chris, Jan 23, 2013.

1. A regular customer came into my work last week and was talking to a co-worker. I heard him say "1934 Ford" and my ears perked up. I asked him about it, and he pointed to a picture I have hanging up of my 33 pickup and said "my friend has a truck just like that...he's had it forever". I asked him if it was a big truck or a pickup, and he replied "it looks just like yours, it's a pickup". He mentioned it was going to be for sale soon...I asked him to find out more.

The next day, same guy comes in and hands me a piece of paper with a name and phone number. I called Rudy, the owner and got the full story

His granddad bought it in 1953. He drove it for a few years and when Rudy was 14 (1959) he went to trade it in and was offered 110.00 for it. Granddad said "if that's all I'm gonna get I may as well give it to my grandson"...which he did. It had a rod knocking when it was given to him, Rudy said he purchased a 1936 ford flatbed truck with a fresh motor and swapped em out. Rudy drove it regularly up until 1969. Then it was parked for something a little newer. He would start it now and again and it got moved here and there, but sat In Dry storage from 1969 until today. He had plans of restoring it, but it just never happened.

I don't know what exactly I'm doing with it. I have one damn near identical to it. Both very nice survivors. But I couldn't pass up such a clean original. No it was not cheap but you just don't find them like this. Something tells me my Dad may end up with it though. For now I'm gonna clean it up, get it going and go from there. We tossed a 6V battery in it after we got home tonight. The lights and heater work, it had spark and after a splash of fuel it fired and ran!! Needs a gas tank though. If it wasn't for that we would have a yard driver.

Here it is as found. No rot at all. Typical dings and dents that trucks got but man it is nice. Originally tan, the one reprint of black is wearing thin in spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And tonight in the garage. Pics are crappy, but it is pitch dark and this will just have to do for now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You're literally a walking early Ford magnet.. Great looking pick-up.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Cooool it even has a push bumper for bonneville!!!

4. looking for one myself.... nice score

5. Muttley

Muttley

I cant believe the stuff you come up with. Nice score. :cool: :cool:

6. Damn....Spokane is like the opposite end of a black hole that only spits out old fords.

7. Congrats on another awesome score.

8. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Damn thats a nice truck. Still amazes me they are still out there. Nice score.

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great find, beautiful!

10. bigvinny

bigvinny

11. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Wow! Man! That is like the closest thing to a living dream I have read and viewed in a while. I can't imagine walking into a brn or any location and seeing a truck/car in that shape original. Cool find.

12. Nice truck pal!

I got an idea. Leave that sweet push bumper on so you can push Jeffrey James down the beach when he doesn't finish his Cpe in time. Perfect!

13. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Your right Chris, they don't come around that often in that condition. Great score on a real cool truck !

14. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Why am I picturing that truck pushing off an old sprint car? Nice find and good luck with whatever you do with it.

15. jesse1980

jesse1980

That's a nice complete find there

16. eastcoastron

eastcoastron

Real nice,good luck with it.

17. It's in good hands. Way to go!!!

18. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

WOW...what a score!

That looks solid...Congrats!!!

19. Damn instant push truck. If you don't know what you are going to do with it I feel a surgery coming on, I don't need all my testicles. :D

Don't care what you gave for it it is a nice score.

Damn instant push truck. If you don't know what you are going to do with it I feel a sergury comming on, I don't need all my testicles. :D

Don't care what you gave for it it is a nice score.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  20. josh highley

josh highley

Looks like a great truck from the pictures. Great score!

21. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Awesome find!
    I love the fender braces and push bumper... looks like a REAL truck!

22. What a find. the welded fenders are pretty much the norm. My step dad's 34 sedan was the same way.
    Later,
    Dick

23. sololobo

sololobo

Cool score Chris, man I could see it push starting a F.E.D. with that big ol wood bumper. Congrats bro! ~sololobo~

24. mramc1

mramc1

Awesome score!

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

was gonna congrats you on your score till I saw the shifter knob is missing...too bad...better luck next time...

(note to self...move to pnw...)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Another find! You're kidding me! Well, at least it's in good hands. Looks great.

27. klazurfer

klazurfer

TOTALY in love with your most Excellent find :( :eek: :)

Klaz :):)

28. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic